Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Peruvian Andes (Updated again)  (Read 6217 times)

Offline Aprilian

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • 1200 BMX
Re: Touring the Peruvian Andes
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 10:39:45 pm »
Unbelievable!! The trip of a life time. Can't wait for more....
Surely if I was obsessed with motorcycles I’d have more than one; no two; no three; no no, four… ah, never mind…

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 07:10:01 am »
 :drif: :drif: :drif:

Wow what a great trip to christian the bike with. That is some of the best mountain roads I have seen on any RR for a long time. Great bike, beautiful mountain roads, breath taking scenery. What more can you ask for..........and you are being paid to ride there.

Ain't life a bitch sometimes... ;) :biggrin:

Looking forward to the rest of this Adventure.

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 08:06:49 am »
Very nice indeed  :thumleft:

Wow what a fantastic environment and change in scenery, weather, terrain, etc.
Can't wait for the next, but i will refrain for visiting adv for a while.  :biggrin:

:ricky:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

esterne

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 08:16:11 am »
Absolutely INCREDIBLE !!!  :thumleft:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

What a trip  :drif:

Offline Yefimovich²

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200RT
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 08:29:38 am »
Wow!

What an amazing trip! :drif:
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 03:50:43 pm »
Spectacular dude, the scenery is awesome! Surreal to see the GS with GP plates in that environment  :ricky:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Usurper

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:11 am »
Awesome Awesome Awesome    :thumleft:
Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree!

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 10:06:02 am »
Hell thats about 15000ft high :o It will take you more than a minute to freefall fack to sea level.

Awesome pics and RR. Man I love it. Keep going :thumleft:

Whats modern bikes limit when it comes to altitude? ???

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 10:28:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments, I really appreciate every one of them.  :thumleft:  Putting these together takes me absolutely AGES.  :-\

Plottie
You really have a lekker place to ride

This is only the beginning! Later this month we are going to shoot up to Ecuador for a mountain trippie. :ricky:

Topbox
that altitude sickness is real shitty, in LaPaz coming from sea level i couldnt breathe, the most severe headache and walking was hard work.

Tell me about the Soroche (altitude sickness). Sucking sweets helps a little, but riding with it is a very weird feeling indeed. No need for dope here!  :bounce:  :shaking2:

JJRED
Now I can understand your frustation for waiting for your bike such a long time...

Yeppers, it was definitely worth the wait. :ricky:

Cloudgazer
Would love to visit South America.

Consider yourself invited. :thumleft:
We have lots of space, and welcome bikers especially. Had some good braais with the okes coming down from the US on their way to Tierra del Fuego. By they time they get here, thier bikes look a bit moeg and so do they!

Buzzlightyear
This looks like the bridge leads into a gorilla's mouth

You have a vivid imagination dude   :biggrin:  Are you an artist?  ;)  Appreciate your comments though.

RobC
Great stuff BB... Empanadas are blerry lekka!

Thanks boeta. Empanadas are nice, except when theyre cold and they all you have to eat at altitude! :puke_r:

Mark Hardy
Wow what a great trip to christen [fixed  >:D  ;D] the bike with. That is some of the best mountain roads I have seen on any RR for a long time. Great bike, beautiful mountain roads, breath taking scenery. What more can you ask for..........and you are being paid to ride there.

Im honoured to have your comments here and in ADV rider. Thanks so much!. :headbang:

Bmad
- Wow what a fantastic environment and change in scenery, weather, terrain, etc.

I appreciate your comments big time too. As a fan on other threads, I know you have been waiting a long time for this too  ;) !

Maverick
Spectacular dude, the scenery is awesome! Surreal to see the GS with GP plates in that environment

hehe, yeah  :ricky:. It must be that sick, vaalie, Gangsta Paradise mind of mine to come to South America with my larney GP plates!   :biggrin: ;D Still it reminds me of home, which is 14,000km away so they are of sentimental value. Still need to organise WD stickers though, the first set got lost in the blerry post.

Ama ride ride
Hell thats about 15000ft high  It will take you more than a minute to freefall fack to sea level.
Awesome pics and RR. Man I love it. Keep going
Whats modern bikes limit when it comes to altitude?

Baie dankie ou maat ;). Not sure what their ceiling is, but the plaln is to hit the highest navigable road in the wolrd up at 5,900m sometime next year. IĀ“ll let you know if i make it.

The bike lost about 10-15% power above 4000m but really it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought. :ricky:

Its a feul injected engine and the lambda sensor did its thing very well. Bike with carbs have much more of a hassle a lot more coughing and smoke, and jets and stuff need to be fiddled with IĀ“m told  :eek7:. Actualy Im getting a KTM450 for christmas so hopefully I can give you a bit of a run down on that later.

I was a bit concerned about how it would perform up at altitude on weird fuel mixtures, IĀ“ll go into it a bit in my next post, which should be up for you to read while you have your morning coffee and oumas rusks at work tomorrow! :deal:

Ah...what I would do right now for a oumas rusk, a bit of biltong, some wors or some pap right now........ :drif:   :sad10:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:34:29 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 10:44:12 pm »
:o
WOW!!!!!
:drif:
:thumleft:

Wat nog ...... ?

erm....... o ja!!!

:happy1:
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 01:43:15 am »
Unfortunately the weather starts to mess with my camera. I come across this ruin that has birdsĀ“ nests drilled into it in neat rows.

Then I reach a gate and battle my ass off opening it.

IĀ“m not enjoying the altitude. Riding makes it harder, because you are burning energy to keep the bike on the road. 50km later, Julio catches up with me and takes a shot of me at my best.

ItĀ“s not all that bad as it looks, just catching my breath!

Soon IĀ“m back with my feet on the pegs again. After a while, I meet this guy

He is riding out of a little village

There is a security gate for some or other mine and I have to sign in and out of the village. I think itā??s a hangover from the communist era. Access must be controlled. The gatekeeper is friendly enough, though.

The road beyond the village is faster, and we gradually descend towards La Oroya.

I meet a road construction worker in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

The road speeds up as I gradually drop in altitude and itĀ“s great fun to slide the bike through some wide twisties towards a large river.

Further on, the river becomes this large dam.

Beyond the dam a steep set of hairpins

Leads me to a dirt highway at 3,700m.

I come across a high altitude golf course and after a short tunnel

I hit the carretera Central again between LA Oroya and Cerro de Pasco.

Turning left I begin to climb gradually up

onto the ā??altiplanoā? which is the high-altitude plateau in the Junin Province.

The clouds race across the plains, dumping precipitation in the mountains I have come from.

ItĀ“s drying out here, so I race along this high speed road

and test the bikeĀ“s top speed at 4,100m.  I wait till I get a nice flat straight bit and give it gas. I hit a speed wobble at 150, push through it to 170km on the GPS before hitting another speed wobble  and slack off. Must be those two inner tubes I have in each tyre. Or it could be my top box. I donā??t like speed wobbles.

As I always say: ā??Pissies will never be heroĀ“s.ā? Not sure I always live up to that motto though, I suppose I could have gone faster, but today I am a pissie. Anyway it was good to know that the bike performed so well with mixed fuel despite all the concerns mentioned elsewhere in this forum. I must say that on the technical riding I did notice perhaps a 10-15% drop in power in the lower ranges. While I enjoyed the torque at the bottom of second gear big time at lower altitudes, I found myself dropping into 1st a bit more often high up on the tight bends.

Just as IĀ“m slacking off from my high speed test I look up from examining my GPS, and there in the middle of the road is one lone (white, not black) sheep. Holy moly  :o , I had let my concentration slip. I locked up the brakes and the shocks soaked it up. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to turn back on the ABS brakes when I got onto the asphalt. I had three choices before me left, right or straight for the sheep. I chose straight figuring it would see me and run somewhere. Thirty meters out the sheep heard me, turned and promptly had a panic attack. So did I because I was still doing about 100.

She darted right- Thank God! Then she turned and ran back left to her friends on the other side of the road!!!   :eek: :eek:  Well I did sincerely thank the Lord, because I think I missed that sheep by a ball hair.

I was sure there would be wool on my foot pegs. It really was a close one.

I command myself to take it easy, but this is the home stretch and I am pretty tired. The last bit to Cerro de Pasco is an easy bit of dirt that cuts out about 15km. Gunning it along at speed, I come across a large pool of water which I decide to ramp. I know I wont mae it all the way accross, but my tired mind believes I can skim the back tyre on the water....  ::) I hit the other side hard, causing a huge splash in the tail end of the pool/lake.

Unfortunately it is about half a meter deeper than I think. I bottom out completely on front and back shocks. The splash is immense and completes my soaking. The force nearly throws me clear but I manage to hold on somehow. I stop and thank the Lord Im still ok. Dripping wet, I scold myself and my stupidity aloud: "JyĀ“s nĀ“ blerry moegoe, jou windgat #$%&%$&ā?. 

Thats over-confidence at the end of a long day.  I have been asking for it. Fortunately I have only about two clicks to go to get to my house in the mining town of Cerro de Pasco. I arrive to much fanfare. Its not until I get off my bike that I realise what the fuss is all about.  :xxbah: :

My larney Hepco Bekker top box bracket broke off on the welds. Luckily it is still holding on. The round bars held, it was the alu plate that it was welded to that cracked. I must have hit the bike pretty hard.... (Anything else you guys think I should check for in term of damage??  ??? ::) )

I am pretty tired after this ride. No. "Bombed" would probably be a more apt term. Anyway I sleep from 8pm right through for the first time at altitude. Normally you wake up in the middle of the night. But not this time. Here is me having my nightcap, a  whiskey & coke. ItĀ“s not pretty. We all try to be human I suppose.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:43:35 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline u-go

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 08:35:12 am »
but today I am a pissie.   ???

se dinges! Awesome report en fotos! En hope respek!

vidaoza

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:19 am »
jissie, oukie.  Awesome! 

Am a newby to the forum and not sure how mr bluebull got to ride in South America (and get paid for it. bloody hell!!) .  Anyone mind pointing my to a thread or telling me?

Offline Hoofseun

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hang on
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 12:11:23 pm »
Amazing, amazing, this is o col.  I think I know where I need to go for 2010...

Zanda's bike is fine and no problems seen when I used it for a wek to test.  Think I must use it another week, it actyually commutes so lekka.

But again this trip is something to dream about, at least the substitude is that I know the guy doing it.

Waiting for the rest. :patch:
"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 01:47:43 pm »

The trip back two days later is no less dramatic. Yes, I did actually have to do some work in the interim. At Cerro there is a large Zinc/Lead/Silver mine and in the current market scenario, things here do not look good at all. I sat in wall to wall meetings discussing emergency action plans to cut costs and how many people need to be retrenched. Not nice.

Here is a glimpse of an outer suburb as I pull out of Cerro de Pasco, a dump of a place, literally.

IĀ“m not sorry I donā??t have more photos because it really is a mess after 400 years of mining without any environmental control. At least the guys are trying to do something about it now.

Back- tracking the route where I damaged my top box, I pass these two guys.

And some more cowboys. Respect. They wave back.

A short distance along the highway back to Lima,

and I turn off right to go towards another gorge.

I am this time accompanied by some of my work associates in cages because en-route we are going to visit and review a another mining operation. We are stopped by some guys working on a bridge. Everyone else except me have to go around. These boys like bikes.

The route across the altiplano takes me twoards the Piedras de Bosque (the stone forest) national park.

This is a surreal place with very strange rock formations.

A colourful cemetery is set among the stone monuments,

And a little closer to a place called Huallay (hua-yay) is a new hot spring thermal bath setup.

The architecture is modern

and does not seem to fit in with the surrounding countryside.

Kids on their way to school in Huallay. The locals here are not friendly, itā??s a area known for rebellion against the government, and as recently as two weeks ago there were two people killed here in riots instigated by paid subversives apparently from Venezuela.

The road winds through the streets set in among huge boulders

Soon enough I am on my way out and up to 4,700m again.

The road is excellent, with sweeping curves, but slippery so one has to keep alert the whole time.

I come to an area that has miniature sized ā??mountainsā?. Itā??s a bit surreal

I meet another fellow biker up in the middle of nowhere. Look at his bike. And you think IĀ“m brave???

Last bit coming soon/...

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 01:54:01 pm »
Truly awesome.

Why do you have two inner tubes per wheel?
How?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:04 pm »
jissie, oukie.  Awesome! 

Am a newby to the forum and not sure how mr bluebull got to ride in South America (and get paid for it. bloody hell!!) .  Anyone mind pointing my to a thread or telling me?

Hiya Vidaoza, thanks for making some of your first comments here!

I managed to score a job here. Im a mining engineer, and as most people know, mines are normally in place where there are excellent biking routes.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 08:44:17 pm »
Truly awesome.

Why do you have two inner tubes per wheel?
How?

You do this to reduce the chance of having a puncture.

This is a trick MX Adventure showed me: you take two tubes, the outer one you cut out the valve and then you slice it open on the inside around the whole tyre. Slip the inner into the outer tyre with the valve in the position of the hole where you cut the other tyre out, and BobĀ“s your aunty ;D you put the whole lot in, begin careful not to pinch anything.

I havent had a puncture yet.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Re: Touring the Peruvian Andes (Updated)
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 07:48:09 am »
Wow  :thumleft:

Awesome photies
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Carlos

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • Design
Re: Touring the Peruvian Andes (Updated)
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 11:07:12 am »
how amazing those rocks are - that pic could be straight out of a national geographic http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll338/Bluebull2007/Cerro1ADV/Cerro3ADV/CerroOutride364S.jpg
EXCELLENT!