Husky TE 449 - to "adventurize" or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomskok

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Not sure if this sort of topic has been discussed before, more than likely, but I'm hoping for some insight or opinions please.

I have a 2012 Husky TE 449. I do green lanes here in the UK and to be honest it is completely overkill. Not surprised really, it is an enduro bike. At the time I guess I didn't know green laning that well and didn't realize the amount of power these bikes have. It still manages to scare the life out of me everytime I ride it. (Guess I'm not that good a rider anyway.)

I also do some longer distance trips to Wales every year and plan on doing some european trips in the future. For that I use my F700GS but obviously in Wales - in technical terrain - it gets old very quickly. It's heavy and hard work, but makes short work of the trip there an back on the highways.

Anyway, slowly getting to the point....I noticed the CCM GP 450 has the same engine as my bike, or the BMW 5 speed gearbox, and wondered if I can "convert" my Husky into something like the GP 450 without spending so much money I could well have bought a good GP 450 in the first place. My opinion is they got the whole "adventure bike" spiel pretty much spot on with the GP 450 in that it has no fancy ABS/Traction control etc. Pretty good offroad (125kg) and can trot along on the highway at a respectable speed (70-80-ish mph)

I like the Husky, in all it's unrefined rattle-like-a-chainsaw glory, but it cannot do long distance in it's current form, nor was it meant to.

Can one
- change the sprockets to give it slightly longer legs on the road? How did CCM do it with the GP450?
- add some custom made aluminium pannier frames to carry some luggage. Can probably look at welding something together, but need to be careful with its ali subframe.
- increase fuel tank size....8.5 litres == ±150kms range...not great for touring.

Am I flogging a dead horse here or what? I've seen some guys doing the same to a KTM 500 and by all accounts things turned out okay?