All In A Days Work Part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clockwork Orange

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
We are currently involved in a massive re-image project at work which requires that I survey the clients many branches throughout the Western Cape. This trip sent me along the N1 up to Richmond and from there I cut inland and started making my way back to Cape Town.

Day 1 boring tar along the N1 and sleep over in Beaufort West. As it was all tar I felt no point for pic's.

Day 2 Beaufort West to Richmond and then the fun begins. Dirt all the way to Victoria West. Came along this little fort on the route for lack of better discription.

Here is another pic of a railway bridge along the route. The gravel was rock hard after the rains as the heavy vehicles had compacted the roads. Every now and then you would come across a bit of mud with deep ruts in which tend to catch you off guard.

Did more dirt between Victoria West and Carnarvon and when I say you are in the middle of nowhere, I never saw another person/vehicle for approximatel 500 km with the exception of the little dorpies I passed through. This is where things nearly went very wrong. I started to become to relaxed as the condition of the roads had not changed when suddenly as I came over a rise there is a big mud puddle with deep ruts from a truck. I could not avoid it and the back wheel flew out 90 deg to the right. I leaned into it and grabbed a huge handfull to prevent high siding. The result was the back wheel bit and skipped almost 180 deg to the other side. I still kept the throttle wide open and this corrected the bike. I had to stop to remove the seat which was now firmly lodged in my arse.

This again reminded me that when solo and especially in the middle of nowhere one has to ride mote conservatively!!!!

My route then took me through Williston and onto Calvinia where I stayed over for the night. It was blerrie cold in Calvinia and woke up to a nice layer of frost on my seat :shock:

After a good breaky I was on my way to Loeriesfontein. This is a stunning part of the world and the daisies were in full bloom. This was again a dirt road and a fantastic ride.

This pic will give you an idea of the type of road I was on. Very easy riding but enjoyable none the less.

The flowers were stunning.

Unfortunately I have to dash off for a meeting and will only be able to post the rest of the report a little later. Hope you have enjoyed the first part.