Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Clutch Lever  (Read 138 times)

Offline Reon

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Clutch Lever
« on: December 06, 2019, 06:18:07 am »
Wonder if anyone has had any issues with their clutch kever on a 2004 1200 GS. My clutch lever seems to operate intermittently. It will be fine and if I ride gor long sections without using it then I have no clutch pressure on the lever and canít change gears. The pressure comes back if n operate the lever a couple of times with bike in neutral then itís ok again. Also on the first ride of the day I need to operate the clutch a couple of times before there is sufficient pressure to change gears. Drained the clutch fluid and bleeding carried out already. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ConnieJohnny

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Clutch Lever
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 09:22:31 am »
Had the same clutch problem with my 2009 GS.
Initially the cause was attributed to the routing of the hydraulic pipe between the clutch master and slave cylinder - in the region of the air box. Apparently the lowest point of the hydraulic pipe must be higher than the level of the clutch slave cylinder thereby preventing air pockets from forming. This mod was contained in a BMW Service Bulletin.
Although this mod was implemented (using a strategically placed cable tie) and the hydraulic fluid (not brake fluid) flushed and bled, the problem persisted especially during long hot trips.
Eventually the problem was cured by replacing the clutch slave cylinder - fortunately under warranty - and has not re-occurred after many years.
Note at no point were there any signs of fluid leakage at the slave cylinder.
Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:18:01 pm by ConnieJohnny »