Pillion falling asleep while riding - Any advise to offer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLRFegen

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Hey all,

When my daughter was younger I took her for a ride on the F800 I had at the time. My wife was very nervous about this decision and she decided to drive in the car behind us. So after a lot of talking about my daughter been safe and I'll be responsible and I'll ride slowly etc etc the little shit went and fell asleep on the back of the bike. To make matter worse she almost fell off and I don't actually know how I managed to keep her on the bike while at the same time pulling off onto the side of the road.

I got such a mouthful from the mother at that time as she was hooting and honking frantically behind me when all this took place. So a bit sheepishly I put my little girl back in the cage and met them at the destination later that day. But I did get a fright and it was one thing I had not planned on - I really have never had anyone fall asleep as a pillion so it didn't ever cross my mind that it could happen.

Anyway now my second daughter is bike mad and wants to ride everywhere with me. I took her for a short burn around JHB this weekend and it was all smiles and "Dad we look so cool on the bike" stories. She loves a motorcycle. She now wants me to take her for a camping trip on the bike.

My big concern obviously is how do I prevent her from falling asleep on the back. I don't want a repeat of holding dead weight with one arm and still trying to manage a motorcycle with the other and dodge cars.

Any advise? Any experience in this regard?