Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Teaching my son to ride a motorbike.  (Read 525 times)

Online speed

Teaching my son to ride a motorbike.
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:50:18 pm »
What would be the best way to teach him to ride a motorcycle?

Offline Highsider

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Teaching my son to ride a motorbike.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 11:24:26 pm »
How old is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

Online speed

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 05:26:38 am »
14 years.

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 06:18:44 am »
I taught my son when he was about 12. I had a CTX200 Bushlander at the time and he was still way too short, so I would put him in front of me on the seat. In the beginning, I operated the gears and brakes, while he learned how to pull away and ride properly. Then I introduced him to the gears and brakes and he learned in no time.
Until his feet could reach, this was the way he had to ride - with me as pillion. When they’re that small, you can still reach the handle bars quick and easy, should it be necessary and it seems to teach them good balance, riding with a 100 kg pillion.

Offline WannaBeJoe

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Are ya gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 07:08:15 am »
Too little information here: what motorcycle is he learning to ride?

My son (now 12) started with a Honda PW80 at age 7-8 which had 3 gears (I think) but an automatic clutch. Next up was a pit bike with manual clutch and gears. In retrospect I would advise against pit bikes as they often have small wheels and very aggressive rake which makes them extremely twitchy. My son never really became "friends" with the pit bike as a result. Recently bought him a Kawasaki KDX 200 which I had lowered so that his feet can reach the ground. Given the experience with the pit bike I thought he would put-put around for weeks before giving it stick. We are on day 2 of riding the KDX and he is going full-throttle, sliding the bike etc. Scares the hell out of me to be honest. He never did any of this on the pit bike.

If possible, get a smaller but "real" bike where he can put his feet down on the ground and where the power is not excessive. As Tampan noted, they learn very quickly.
"That's what I like about you, Nolan. You never lick, you bite straight to the chocolaty centre of the tootsie-pop",  I-Rok

Previous bikes:
Honda CB750K aka Koue Anna
KLR650

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 08:29:05 am »
I believe clutch control to be one of the first things he has to master. And tell him to pull in the clutch when things start to spiral out of control. We do not want to see him take off and crash into a fence or tree because the bike runs away :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Pullaway

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 09:05:02 am »
Mine is 12 now, start with small bikes. He had a Suzuki Jr 50 when he was 5, then PW80, then KLX110, currently YZ85. the YZ is the first bike with a cluch for him. Made him pull away with a brick in front of the front wheel to teach him clutch control. He really enjoy the YZ, as the KLX was heavy and lazy.
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 10:06:13 am »
At 14, get a XR125L if he is going to use it to travel to school in 2 years time me.

They dont have too much power, very forgiving when you drop the clutch and a smooth ride. My laaiti is 14, also comes from PW50, PW80 taught him to use gears without a clutch, so the transition to clutch and gears was easy.

The pitbike ranges helps a lot, is cheap as well. The gear ratios are very close together and the clutch short, the 125's now. It'll teach him even quicker, and if he is tall get the big wheel ones.

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 10:09:27 am »
My son went to Billy De Beer in Belleville.

Billy put him on an auto scooter for a few minutes and let him get a taste of riding.

Thereafter Billy had a couple of bikes with the back lifted by axle stands so my son could learn the clutch and gear selection.  After a little while he was given a TW200 to ride around a car park.

Only once he had been to Billy did I let him on his own bike.  The only thing I added to his training was the principle behind counter steering

Before his K53 test he did a couple of lessons with Stewart Gordon in Strand, my son passed his K53 on a 650 first time.

Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline MellowJo

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 02:27:32 pm »
hee,hee, reminds me of running after my daughter on her Honda 125 estorm .....

Here me and my son on his PW50 ...
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 02:53:54 pm »
I'll say clutch control, palling away and stopping is very important.

I thought my ex girlfriend and my (now) wife to ride bikes, take note that this was on different occasions  :pot:.

To get used to the clutch control (and throttle) I made them pull away and stop after a couple of metres while "hanging" their legs beside the bike for "peace of mind" in case something happen. Keep in mind this is just for pulling away. Julle weet mos vroumense over analyze alles.  After they got the hang of it I repeated the exercise, but this time they had to put their feet on the pegs after pulling away and shortly after that had to stop again.Repeat, repeat repeat until I saw they were really gatvol of me making them do it and then I let them repeat it a couple of times more just for my satisfaction. ;D

Then I made them ride in circles(in ist gear basically on idle or very little throttle)  both clockwise and anticlockwise to get a used to the handling of the bike and clutch and throttle control. Then they did "figures of 8".  They both got the hang of this in less than hour.

After that I let them them ride and shift up to second gear and they had to ride in circles or figures of 8 again with a bit more throttle. It took them two lessons of about an hour each. Please note that this was done on a nice piece of grass All of this was done on a old 650GS single..

My wife got the hang of everything very quickly and after the second lesson I decided that it is time to take her out on a ride one Sunday afternoon when the roads were a bit quieter. Regardless to say she did quite well on her first ride after just 2 fairly short lessons.

I think clutch and throttle control is very important. Like the old saying goes...."Everybody can ride a bike fast, but can you ride it real slow".

Good luck with teaching your son.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

The following users thanked this post: speed

Online speed

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 04:04:40 pm »
Now to teach him to change gear's

Offline King Louis

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 04:12:12 pm »
Send him to a rider academy/school, to get solid training from the beginning. Buddy's and parents usually mean well, but there is more to it than clutch control. :patch:

The following users thanked this post: speed

Offline WannaBeJoe

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Are ya gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 10:26:22 pm »
Now to teach him to change gear's

That is super-cool man! Well done Dad!!!!!!
"That's what I like about you, Nolan. You never lick, you bite straight to the chocolaty centre of the tootsie-pop",  I-Rok

Previous bikes:
Honda CB750K aka Koue Anna
KLR650

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 12:30:55 pm »
I’m no expert on how to teach people to ride and in some aspects the danger of asking advice on forums like this is that you inadvertently may teach the kid some bad habits
I would initially just say take the kid to someone like G-Tech Enduro who actually launched recently, you can find them on facebook

Or the other way of seeing it is that dad is the coach and father son time is 100% better than sending the kid to training, and that is what I did, find a nice open piece of dirt anywhere close to you, take the kids bike and a MTB for you.. kit up the lad and ride next to him shouting instructions.

All you really have to do its follow the training in a methodical way, start off with how the bike works, with my kid, he cleaned the bike including lube service a few times before he was even allowed to start the bike, once he knew what was plugged in where he started the bike and we worked on things like body position , putting in gear and clutch control.. once we had the waxed and he actually started moving forward we looked at things like target fixation etc

Once he could ride the motorbike faster than I could peddle he was good to go.  The rest he learnt from youTube and from saddle time.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0