Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: We Survived the Hell on motorbikes!!  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

We Survived the Hell on motorbikes!!
« on: December 24, 2019, 02:17:01 pm »
We Survived the Hell on motorbikes!! Thats what the sticker says and true to baas Kobus's warning we promised to only buy the sticker 'after' completion of the trip!  :headbang:

My son has been riding motorbikes since age 7 and has never been without a bike but then like with most of us at some stage(s) 'life happened' and he had to sell the bike.

He had this dream to one day ride with his 'old toppie' ( that me yes  :peepwall: ) a couple of gravel roads and mountain passes while we still have change.
So both of us have been working on a short farmworker contract in the States and he decided to buy a Yamaha XT660Z which I sourced. It happened to be Dorsland's bike and I could not manage to get a lift to collect the bike so we decided that I'll lift him on my bike and then we will do the trip.  :laughing4: :laughing4:

My bike is not a dual purpose bike but its my only wheels and I had to make due - all I can say afterwards is well done NC750X, you have never missed a beat and done routes where others said 'impossible' with absolutely no damage. Yes even a 17inch mag front tyre  :deal:  :) :laughing4:

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
Re: We Survived the Hell on motorbikes!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:32:05 pm »
I have done the trip a few times and it never disappoints!
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 05:23:58 pm »
I have done the trip a few times and it never disappoints!

Agree, a must do!!

I'll continue with the RR once my pictures is sorted, not too many but enough to tell the story!! :laughing4:

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 05:27:46 pm »
Did you stay over? Did the spiders get you?
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 05:51:18 pm »
Did you stay over? Did the spiders get you?

Nope, the fire of 3 weeks ago burned down all the camps including Cape Nature as well as the Joubert's camp....caravans etc.
The houses were saved as well as the restaurant.
Rooi Piet's wife told me he is now building camping huts with stone and restoring the camping facilities.
It was a 5 hour trip in and out but that included regular stopping taking in the view and also having a beer and sandwich down at the restaurant.
The tannie who grew up and now 75 years old is still sad and in shock....I don't think people in general that used to know the place are aware of the damage and impact thereof.....it is devastating.

The Joubert wife also asked me to thank the Wild dogs that did contribute a few rand, she said it helped a lot.   :3some:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 06:02:04 pm »
Day 1

The night before the trip my son Chris and I were packing the bike asking each other why we have left this till number 99  :dousing: but we finally managed to get the NC750X loaded and we just could not find place for the raincoats.....and then I decided to make a plan and just make them fit and so glad I did!!

We left at 5am and stopped at Juda's farm. He is my son's friend for many years and asked to join in on the fun.
I asked Dorsland if it is ok if he tagged along and Johan confirmed there is space and food for him as well in the beautiful Karoo farm guest house.

I pillioned Chris and then he also lift me for 300km's. Day one was a total of 990 km and near Dorsland's farm I decided to turn in at Neu Bethesda to fill up with petrol and buy a couple of beers not to arrive empty handed......pok what was I thinking  :bueller: Off course there was no fuel and I arrived on reserve at the farm. Luckily Johan had a couple of liters to see me to Graaff-Reinet the next day but I felt rather embarrassed  :-[

Pictures at Neu Bethesda

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 06:10:57 pm »
I have been at Johan's farm 4 years ago, and already though he is a very neat farmer but the progress in 4 years is rather remarkable!
Good things comes to hard working people, and not even the drought has broken this man and his wife. Despite the fact that the drought has affected them badly (shocking!!) they are still in good spirit and involved in assisting other farmers. He was busy arranging transport for delivery of more bales to some of these farmers to safe their live stock.

Picture of his guest house, and comes highly recommendable!!

His 'boer bokke' are in beautiful condition like ever.

We were treated like kings, a humbling experience: Thank you so much Johan and Christa. 

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 06:16:20 pm »
Glad you had a nice trip.
It is really a must do for a father and son to do a trip together.
I need to get a chance to visit Johan, but could not get there this trip.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 06:21:49 pm »
Day 2

When Chris bought the bike he asked me to help source chrashbars. He is a bit short and although he rides very well in my opinion he knew the XTZ will be a bit tall and prevention is better than cure.

The obvious choice was to order with @ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS  on the forum and he has arranged for the bars to be delivered to an address in Graaff-Reinet. ChrisL was assisting in tracking and when in my opinion way beyond to ensure once again delivery on time. So the morning we left after a good farm breakfast and coffee and head to town to receive the crash bars.

I wanted to fit it next to the road maybe in a still parking lot but Johan would have nothing of this and phoned his buddy at HiQ. He welcomed us and made his tools and workshop available free of charge. Yes we obviously did offer money which he declined. So we fitted the bars and then headed to the view point at the dam which is empty..... 0 water!

After that we went for lunch to the Village roadhouse which is just beautiful arranged, styled like to 60's and the best food at affordable prices.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 06:23:31 pm »
 :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 06:28:03 pm »
Then we decided to head to Uniondale, do the nice tar poort to the small town 'Avontuur' where the Prins Alfred pass starts.
What a boring road that N9!, But once we filled up at Willowmore the day tour started!!  :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 06:32:01 pm »
It was getting late and I thought to take a change and see if there is camping available at Angies G spot.
Yes we were in luck and got tents with beds for R280 per person for the night.
They also fired up the 'donkey' and we had warm showers and chilled with a beer and later a very good - real good  :3some: - hamburger.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 06:34:30 pm »

It was a very nice experience for the young men, there is an interesting fella working there with some star knowledge and we had the clearest view of stars I have experienced since Gough Island!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 06:39:14 pm »
The morning we headed up the pass and the view breathtaking - this is just amazing and reminds me a lot of Ethiopia!
BTW - If anyone wants to open a campsite like Angie's or any sort of tented camp, remote camp or whatever - I have the experience and looking for a camp managing position  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 06:41:53 pm »
We have followed 'Kom se pad' (not to be missed) to Knysna  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »

Once we arrived in Knysna we decided on a pizza for breakfast and parked off at Debonairs. The girl working there made a joke with the owner (they were advertising for delivery bikers) and told him his bikers had has arrived  :imaposer: He looked at us and then saw our bikes and realized she has pranked him. Turned out a very nice biker himself and owner of a number of rather good bikes!

Online BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 06:48:23 pm »
The Village Roadhouse looks awesome
Rallye

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 06:49:12 pm »
Glad you had a nice trip.
It is really a must do for a father and son to do a trip together.
I need to get a chance to visit Johan, but could not get there this trip.

Yes Hennie it is rather special, and one of the best trips ever! Yes I dont have the right tool for the job and would love a proper ds bike but that did not stop me from going on this trip. I would so love to do a bit more, especially Namibia and Botswana - one day!!  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 06:53:13 pm »
The Village Roadhouse looks awesome

Yes BMWPE, I did stop there on my way back again yesterday. I have done 1450 km yesterday back home to save a bit of money not having to sleep over. The owner is also the owner of Montegu dog food - he supports the community and town quite a bit!

(I will continue the RR after supper - I have made a little fire for a braai and hope it's still good  :lol8: )

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 07:14:34 pm »
Lekker ek ry saam :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600