Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda NC750X off road  (Read 820 times)

Online Tom van Brits

Re: Honda NC750X off road
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 07:51:55 pm »
 :)

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 07:53:54 pm »
When reading these stories I can't help but miss my nc. 800gs is obviously better off the pavement but the nc was good fun on the gravel
Carpe bm

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 09:10:11 pm »
You guys are confusing me, I have to chose between my NC and my Dakar as I cannot keep 3 bikes!
Choices choices :peepwall: :patch:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 09:11:00 pm »
Keep the Honda, newer tech.
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Oubones

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Local Mods
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 07:48:33 pm »
You guys are confusing me, I have to chose between my NC and my Dakar as I cannot keep 3 bikes!
Choices choices :peepwall: :patch:

Keep the Dakar. You will thank me for this advice later

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Vex

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 08:14:27 pm »
I also vote NC.
Recently bought my wife a '07 GS650. Great bike, but I prefer the NC - far more practical with "frunk", moer light on fuel, better power delivery, sound better, far better road handling in corners and @ high speed and is just fine for easy to moderate off roading
MBX 50, Yamaha XS 1.1, Honda A/T 750, BMW GS1200, Ninja 400, Ninja 650, Honda NC750X, BMW GS700, Suzuki GS150

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 09:44:42 pm »
Yeah if I had both and need to keep one I would keep tha dakar. The nc is fine don't get me wrong but I've heard great war stories about the dakar!!
Carpe bm

Offline Sabre

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 09:54:24 pm »
Actually its one of the bikes that could entice me away from my beloved 1150 GS. The only thing I would change are the mag wheels. I once beat a front wheel of someones into shape on the Ouberg Pass. Other than that I think they are very capable adventure tourers.

I have shown my neighbor earlier today; I get 30km/l and when touring in wind with loaded panniers at worst 24km/l
I am no offroad boffin but i have done a fair bit of gravel now on various bikes since 2009 when i started riding gravel. Before that it was just road bikes.
In this time I have owned a couple of bikes, and 3 of them had mag wheels: Explorer 1200, DL650 and NC750X
The DL was a company vehicle- medical emergency responder.
With that bike I have explored dirt roads and trails around Midrand and also did high speed chases on the highway often hitting debree of accidents.
Never has a mag wheel failed on me, but never deflate for dirt. Learn to ride your bike with a 2bar front....I dont even notice but again; I dont consider myself as a good dirt rider.
However, my son and his friend have mentioned it a couple of times around the braai, they could not believe how well the NC tracked and I was never holding them back.

Some of us can justify a proper ds bike because we are just plain honest, we mostly ride 80% plus asphalt.

I often find myself between people where they refer to the NC as 'soulless, dead boring etc"
Well, when I first bought mine and for the first approx 3000km i was also having that thought but then the bike start growing on you and it becomes more and more enjoyable over time. Today i love and highly recommended the NC750X for a number of reasons.

Just keep in mind; this is not an adventure bike but you can have adventure on it....on any bike for that matter  :lol8:
It's a great deal better than a KLR and I had 2.

Personally a DL650 would have been a bit better for what I do, and I wanted one but the price difference back in 2015 was R25k. 19inch wheel and better suspension travel, a lot more power but running cost is almost double. NC service 12k km and DL 6k km. I do however my own oil changes also every 6k km on NC.

Sorry for a long dragged out post, but maybe this will confirm my love for the NC. A great bike overall. :thumleft:
Tom, I noted your remark on the KLR, and, for me, that brought up the issue of maintenance. How easy is it to service the NC ? How much does an air filter cost ?(KLR has a washable air cleaner, so no cost)
How easy to change spark plugs ? (On KLR you need to dismantle a lot of bike to get to the plug)

Maybe this info could be usable for the OP
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Oubones

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 10:15:58 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys!
My bum says keep the lazyboy (Dakar) as I have a lot of extras on it and it is much better offroad!
We took the NC to church in town on Sunday and both me and the wife had sore bums after 100 km, where 400km a day two up is comfy on the Dakar.
Running costs on the Dakar is also much lower, but that dct box is just the best when you have a pillion!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 08:46:35 pm »
Actually its one of the bikes that could entice me away from my beloved 1150 GS. The only thing I would change are the mag wheels. I once beat a front wheel of someones into shape on the Ouberg Pass. Other than that I think they are very capable adventure tourers.

I have shown my neighbor earlier today; I get 30km/l and when touring in wind with loaded panniers at worst 24km/l
I am no offroad boffin but i have done a fair bit of gravel now on various bikes since 2009 when i started riding gravel. Before that it was just road bikes.
In this time I have owned a couple of bikes, and 3 of them had mag wheels: Explorer 1200, DL650 and NC750X
The DL was a company vehicle- medical emergency responder.
With that bike I have explored dirt roads and trails around Midrand and also did high speed chases on the highway often hitting debree of accidents.
Never has a mag wheel failed on me, but never deflate for dirt. Learn to ride your bike with a 2bar front....I dont even notice but again; I dont consider myself as a good dirt rider.
However, my son and his friend have mentioned it a couple of times around the braai, they could not believe how well the NC tracked and I was never holding them back.

Some of us can justify a proper ds bike because we are just plain honest, we mostly ride 80% plus asphalt.

I often find myself between people where they refer to the NC as 'soulless, dead boring etc"
Well, when I first bought mine and for the first approx 3000km i was also having that thought but then the bike start growing on you and it becomes more and more enjoyable over time. Today i love and highly recommended the NC750X for a number of reasons.

Just keep in mind; this is not an adventure bike but you can have adventure on it....on any bike for that matter  :lol8:
It's a great deal better than a KLR and I had 2.

Personally a DL650 would have been a bit better for what I do, and I wanted one but the price difference back in 2015 was R25k. 19inch wheel and better suspension travel, a lot more power but running cost is almost double. NC service 12k km and DL 6k km. I do however my own oil changes also every 6k km on NC.

Sorry for a long dragged out post, but maybe this will confirm my love for the NC. A great bike overall. :thumleft:
Tom, I noted your remark on the KLR, and, for me, that brought up the issue of maintenance. How easy is it to service the NC ? How much does an air filter cost ?(KLR has a washable air cleaner, so no cost)
How easy to change spark plugs ? (On KLR you need to dismantle a lot of bike to get to the plug)

Maybe this info could be usable for the OP

The NC's plugs are easily accessible with the forward tilt of the engine, but they are very pricey since it is iridium plugs. However, that also means they will last way longer than conventional plugs. My sons XTZ's plug was shot at 30k km; and thumpers as a rule needs replacement plug every 20k km. The NC will give you 40k km on a set albeit expensive.
The KLR's air filter I just loved. I had 2 and always had one cleaned and on the ready and changed them bi weekly.  The NC has got a paper element and although it is not a quick job it's not bad at all. I have watched a youtube video twice before doing it, and its easy and I don't consider myself all that technical.
The air filter was still in a very good shape on 18k km but since I bought a new one (pricey at R1.1K) We decided to fit it anyway. Now almost due for another one, and you do get a washable option which is a tad more than OEM but then it is reusable.
However; the KLR wins here with only 2 bolts for the cover and a screw! Quick and easy but then again it needs to be serviced often opposed to the NC's which still looks great after thousands of km traveled.
My riding style - percentage of dirt vs tar did not change so I am giving a fair comparison.

KLR and NC suspension are both kark but ok for the avg Jo like me. I have never damaged a rim on any mag wheel opposed to 2 x smiley's (one rim change) on KLR after hitting a stone step.

Listen it is obviously 2 complete different bikes, but in my case I can only afford one vehicle and then it is much easier to live with a NC vs a KLR if that makes sense!
I still like KLR's though! My experience with them is different to some others and maybe because I have hardly revved it over 5k rpm - so my KLR's never used oil, and it never let me down either.