American flying and buying in CPT then riding around Africa for a bit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hello hello,

My name is Andy.  I'm flying to Cape Town in a few weeks, buying a bike, and hitting the road for a few (6?) months around Africa.  Last year, I was on the Pamir Highway in Tajikistan driving a 4x4 and saw some guys on motorcycles and it clicked that if I really wanted to get into interesting places, I needed to learn to ride a motorcycle.  I've been riding my 650gs, taken some courses, and gone on some longer rides off road since June.  Yeah yeah yeah, it's a bit much a bit fast, but it isn't fun to cautiously go about only doing things that will be a guaranteed success and so here I am.

My questions are more about the wilder and whacky stuff.  I've read a lot of the rider reports and dug around the forums for the more basic stuff so I don't really have questions about carnets or the sort.  I'm very much interested in out of the way, unique, overlooked, etc. in terms of riding and beyond.  I'm more interested in interacting with folks other than fancy tourists.  My sense is most of the "regular" stuff in Africa still possesses that spirit compared to what I'm used to, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

1) Has anyone ridden in Madagascar?  Am I stupid for thinking I can work something out in Maputo to get myself and my bike on a boat to Madagascar?  I'm not looking to spend the next 5 years riding around, but I have enough time to go with the flow, spend a few days on a rust bucket in the ocean.  I'm planning to at least attempt this, so if anyone has any ideas I am all open.

2) What is the payment method people prefer for a bike in SA when purchasing from an owner?  Rand, dollars, direct bank transfer, etc?  I'm 50/50 if it makes sense to buy from an owner because the paperwork on my end might be a bit of a hassle.  I think I understand the TRN process, but I also understand it enough to know that I won't really understand it until I experience it.

3) Does anyone have wish list stuff for activities/rides on the continent for stuff that a) would take a fair bit of time to do and b) isn't one of the major attractions (Kruger, the Pyramids, Victoria Falls, etc)?  I'm not planning to follow the "official" Cape to Cairo route that closely.  I'm not against hanging out in an area for 2-3 weeks if there's something worthwhile to learn or see.

4) How common is it to run into other adventure riders?  I prefer to ride solo, but it's nice to ride with others now and then.  Should I be pouncing on that every opportunity because they are scarce or I'll just keep running into others?

5) Not many people seem to go to Burundi - are they right to?

Thanks for any hints, tips, and suggestions.

Andrew