1150GSA Brain teaser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRAVELTRAVEL

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Gentlemen,

I seem to have run up against a brick wall. Hopefully this will not be too long winded but here goes:

About one year ago my 1150GSA (with ABS and heated grips and I think about a 2005 model ) started developing difficulty in starting. Usually a was 1 or two turns of the engine and everything was ok. It got to a point where sometimes I had to jump start it due to the battery being cranked flat.

I moved to CT earlier during 2019 and transported it on the back of a bakkie all the way from WVB. Once offloaded it took about 10 mins of coaching to get it started, Even then it was running a bit rough but it was enough to ride it from the CBD to my home in Durbanville. Since then , absolutely nothing!

My first reaction was that it is probably the HES.

So far I have done the following:

Removed the HES, cleaned it, checked the insulation on the cabling and tested it as per the document attached(which I got from the Adventure Rider Forum) Dont seem to be any issue there.

Replaced all spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, set the valves.
    Discovered then that there is no spark. Replaced the stick coils with new as mine was still original. Tested the secondary coils No problem but still no spark.
    Replaced all fuzes as well as the load relief relay, fuel pump relay and Motronic relay. Still no spark!!

The fuel pump cuc;les as it should and everything else seem to be in order. There is even 12 V on the primary spark plug wire when you turn the key. It seems as if there is no signal given from the Motronic unit. Is it possible that the unit is paste? As mentioned everything else seem to work but still no spark.

Battery fully charged , starter motor swinging like crazy, fuel pump cycling when it has to but no spark!!

Where else can I look? I think I have no reached the end of my tether as far as this is concerned.

Attachments

• Oilhead_Maintenance_Manual_R850_R1100_R1150_R1200.pdf
    475.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Plug Electric diagram.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 20