Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cape St Francis  (Read 245 times)

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Cape St Francis
« on: January 07, 2020, 12:40:24 pm »
I stayed over in Cape St Francis last weekend and was very impressed by the spot....stunning bush,beautiful beaches and unspoilt coastline with very pretty lovely houses. Its not too big and no crowds even at that time of the year! I van only imagine what a home must cost there!! 
One massive negative which I found glaringly obvious was the proximity of the very makeshift shanty town squatter camp that is very close by although at a glance seems some distance away but upon closer inspection I reckon is well within a km from the luxury homes  :o Its fairly well concealed due to the very thick natural coastal bush but paths will be created!! I tried looking on Google Earth but the images are not new enough and show direct line as about 2.4 km, its def a lot closer I would estimate. Who lives there about and has info or better yet a drone to take an aerial pic? It always amazes me how authorities can allow this kind of very illegal urban sprawl!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Old Bugger

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Silence is better than BULLSH*T
Re: Cape St Francis
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 01:57:27 pm »
Was there day before yesterday, one of my favorite spots for many years and the plan is to retire there one day....
Very interesting observation you made, going to watch with interest.
Needless to say, all the informal settlements are groing at at rapid rate in the area.
Humansdorp, JBay, Aston, St Francis and round the Port...
Have to mention that compared to previous years, these "homes" and (litter specifically) are definitely better contained  :thumleft:

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:08:18 pm »
 :o
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 02:12:19 pm »
@YoungGSer spends time there - family home - maybe he knows.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline YoungGSer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Ride the WORLD
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:37:51 pm »
I really wouldn’t worry about it to much.  The settlement is called Sea Vista and is hidden away from both st Francis and Cape st Francis. You will only see it if you drive between the two or drive through it to get to the industrial zone. In all the years I have been going there, I can’t say that it has expanded massively as there is fenced off nature reserve all around it and the rest of the land is taken up by boat yards and work shops.
Hope this helps
The Original Barstool Prophet

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:24:22 am »
This is why I was asking if anyone with a drone could/had filmed from above, my observation is that the township has encroached a lot more than what the dated google earth image above depicts 
www.astonesthrow.co.za