MotoGP 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This is the period of the MotoGP season that I enjoy almost as much as the racing itself.  Since there is no testing, nor any racing, the motor sport media needs to come up with something to keep their readers occupied, so the go sniff out the rumours, which they then elaborate on to show its possibility of happening, or not.

One of these they I am enjoying greatly and I am even wondering about the likelihood, is the predicted move by VR46 to the Petronas Yamaha satellite team, vacating his factory seat for young gun, Quartararo.  This juicy story indicates that VR46 already indicated that he would be happy to make this move.  For those who would shout that a move from an entrenched factory seat to a satellite seat is silly, mad even, the answer is ready.  Look at the "facts" they say.  I have no idea how accurate this is, but still makes a good story.

- Rossi and Hamilton ride swap late 2019 and their blossoming friendship and Hamilton drives a Petronas F1.  This is an excellent link between Rossi and Petronas.
- Yamaha and Rossi are huge in Malaysia.  So big that they have, in the past flew Rossi in for the launch of a scooter.  Petronas is a Malaysian company.
- The Petronas team will (so they say) become the Petronas VR46 team in 2021.  Makes sense for VR46 himself to ride there for a year or so, before he becomes the team manager.

JL99 indicated that one of his future options is a test rider contract on the table.  Obviously, his words were not cold yet and the Yamaha Test Rider job is linked to JL99.  Not a bad idea, I think.  Yamaha desperately needs to do European testing with a MGP rider, rather than Japanese only testing with retired Japanese SBK riders.

MotoGP to move to 22 races a year in the near future.  To reduce this time impact, the whole race meeting, with free practises, etc. may take place over 2 days, rather than the current three days.