Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MotoGP 2020  (Read 42967 times)

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: MotoGP 2020
« Reply #1220 on: November 17, 2020, 10:06:23 am »
  I think Yamaha have some serious issues in the management of the team.  Not Jarvis, but even higher up.  They are still not serious about the European testing team work done by them.   

Please could you elaborate on this point
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #1221 on: November 17, 2020, 03:17:06 pm »
Lets just drool for a good 1:30 seconds

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #1222 on: November 17, 2020, 04:02:00 pm »
It really is a good looking bike  :thumleft:

This season has been amazing in so many respects. Almost 10 different riders willing races.. Everyone's championship to throw away and Suzuki showing the other teams who is boss.

I'm still a bit shocked at the Honda, Yamaha and Ducati factory teams performance

For me one of the most impressive riders of the year was Nakagami .. I remember watching him come in last place almost every race 2 years ago, now he is right up there giving it horns. He was a pleasure to watch.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #1223 on: November 17, 2020, 04:29:03 pm »

This season has been amazing in so many respects. Almost 10 different riders willing races.. Everyone's championship to throw away and Suzuki showing the other teams who is boss.

I'm still a bit shocked at the Honda, Yamaha and Ducati factory teams performance

For me one of the most impressive riders of the year was Nakagami .. I remember watching him come in last place almost every race 2 years ago, now he is right up there giving it horns. He was a pleasure to watch.

Just gooiing it in the kitty litter a bit much ...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline adamktm

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #1224 on: November 17, 2020, 04:52:04 pm »

Everyone keeps saying Yamaha have had a nightmare season. They have won 7 races.Way more than any other manufacturer so they havenít had such a shit season.

At this point thatís more than all the other manufacturers put together..........and they still didnít win the championship  :imaposer:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:54:01 pm by adamktm »
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #1225 on: November 17, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »
Everyone keeps saying Yamaha have had a nightmare season. They have won 7 races.Way more than any other manufacturer so they havenít had such a shit season.

At this point thatís more than all the other manufacturers put together..........and they still didnít win the championship  :imaposer:

The bold bit, with your  :imaposer: is not an indication that Yamaha had a shit season?  7 Wins, but .....

-  Yamaha Factory, only 1 of the 7 wins.
-  Yamaha Factory only 3 podiums.
-  Best factory bike likely to be fourth in the championship.
-  Three blown engines during a single season. Two of which caused DNFs in a race.
-  One further DNF due to an electrical problem.
-  Yamaha Factory team likely to finish 5th in the Team Championship.  That is 2 spots BEHIND their own satellite team!
-  Yamaha likely to finish third in the Constructors Championsip.
-  The valve chaos.

They definitely had a shit year.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 06:03:36 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

The following users thanked this post: Clockwork Orange

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1226 on: November 17, 2020, 05:51:35 pm »
  I think Yamaha have some serious issues in the management of the team.  Not Jarvis, but even higher up.  They are still not serious about the European testing team work done by them.   

Please could you elaborate on this point

I have no solid proof, or even a rumour to go by, so this is completely my personal feeling formed from a couple of issues noted over the past few seasons.

- When the single ECU were introduced Honda and Ducati immediately poached top engineers from the ECU manufacturing company.  Yamaha didn't.
- Honda and Suzuki have very strong European hubs where they develop the bikes and they do serious European testing.  Yamaha only started that last year and still didn't seem to take it seriously.
- All the teams use experienced MotoGP test riders.  Yamaha didn't.  Then for 2020 got one of the best there is and didn't utilize him.  Even when he did test, he was on a 2019 bike.
- Yamaha have preset parameters to which the bikes must be setup and refused to deviate from these.  This is ridiculous in this day and age.
- The cock-up with the valves.  The initial mistake is extremely amateur.  The attempted cover up, even more so.

Like I said, just a personal itch I am feeling.

-
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #1227 on: November 17, 2020, 08:05:40 pm »
- All the teams use experienced MotoGP test riders.  Yamaha didn't.  Then for 2020 got one of the best there is and didn't utilize him.  Even when he did test, he was on a 2019 bike.
But they have the Doctor! :biggrin:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1228 on: November 17, 2020, 08:14:39 pm »

They chose to ignore his inputs and use that of MV instead. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #1229 on: November 17, 2020, 08:16:49 pm »

I think Dovi and Rossi should form their own team using Suzuki's... >:D

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1230 on: November 17, 2020, 08:32:05 pm »

:laughing4: :laughing4:

Le Pensionaires Suzuki Racing! 
#33 #BRADICAL!

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #1231 on: November 17, 2020, 08:55:37 pm »

They could not hear Rossi from that far back. :biggrin:

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #1232 on: November 17, 2020, 09:01:20 pm »

:laughing4: :laughing4:

Le Pensionaires Suzuki Racing!
LPSR for short! :thumleft: :imaposer:

Offline Biesie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1233 on: November 17, 2020, 10:17:28 pm »
So who is going to get the open Aprillia spot?
Lorenzo?
Davies?
2SmokeDan?

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #1234 on: November 18, 2020, 01:40:20 am »
Just watched a video on engine types.

Am I right in saying the V4 that Honda use is faster than the in line 4 and the V4, 90 degree Ducati is even faster than the Honda.

It's like the more V, the more power you have.

If so, it sorta points to a flat V being the fastest of all, like a Porsche.

Or that other bike engine I won't mention.........
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1235 on: November 18, 2020, 11:34:55 am »
Just watched a video on engine types.

Am I right in saying the V4 that Honda use is faster than the in line 4 and the V4, 90 degree Ducati is even faster than the Honda.

It's like the more V, the more power you have.

If so, it sorta points to a flat V being the fastest of all, like a Porsche.

Or that other bike engine I won't mention.........

It seems that the current MotoGP crowd is able to extract more power from their V4s than Suzuki, or Yamaha can from their inline 4s.  But then, it seems they are getting more than Aprilia and possibly KTM from their V4s.  My understanding is that there is always a balance to be found.  V4s in general more powerful, but makes the bike more difficult to handle for some reason.  I read a very complex description on this and it was way beyond my level of understanding, so I can't explain it any better.

It has to do with the V4s crank being shorter, therefore stiffer to handle more power.  The inline4 is more stable because of its longer crank.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1236 on: November 18, 2020, 11:46:41 am »

They could not hear Rossi from that far back. :biggrin:

Grapjas!   :laughing4:

Thing is, back then, they could hear him.  Let us assume MM never came to MotoGP and whoever came in his place was as fast as as I am, therefore not in the picture, the championships would have been (Factory Yamaha).

2013:  Yamaha 1, 3
2014:  Yamaha 1, 2
2015:  Yamaha 1, 2 (This is where they actually finished.
2016:  Yamaha 1, 2
2017:  Yamaha 2, 4
2018:  Yamaha 2, 3
2019:  Yamaha 2, 6
2020:  Yamaha 3, 14

Seems those 1s are disappearing, even with MM not in it.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1237 on: November 18, 2020, 02:00:05 pm »

To be very honest when I comment on Moto GP I only really look at the performance of the factory teams.. lets call it what it is, the factory teams have the money, the sponsors, the riders, the technology 1st look at development  etc.. one would expect the factory teams to be drilling the satelite teams.

I would say that Yamaha had a terrible season as Fabio Quartararo &  ‎Franco Morbidelli dominated Rossi & Vinales

I am a Repsol Honda supporter and I would say the same thing about them.. I think its unfathomable and a bit embarrasing that Nakagami beat any of the factory Honda riders.

Its going to be interesting with Rossi going to Petronas next year.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #1238 on: November 18, 2020, 02:03:24 pm »
So who is going to get the open Aprillia spot?
Lorenzo?
Davies?
2SmokeDan?

If you watch moto2 they said the Martin and Garzo are going up to Aprilia spots.. Im sure that is what I heard but it could have just been commentator banter.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #1239 on: November 18, 2020, 02:47:13 pm »
Its going to be interesting with Rossi going to Petronas next year.

It will be very interesting.  There are two reasons why Petronas is doing so well.  First, they have a large budget.  Possibly as big, or bigger than the factory team.  Second, perhaps more important, is that their team management are not afraid to make changes in tune and setup outside the parameters set by Yamaha Factory, i.e. they will be more willing to take on rider input.

Then, the last person to win a championship on a satellite bike was VR46 himself.
#33 #BRADICAL!