Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Insurance Question  (Read 946 times)

Offline Skimnerf

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Insurance Question
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 09:26:13 am »
Yeah I went to them based on word of mouth from this forum and when I have a claim they do this to me.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 09:26:46 am »
Well I did not take the bike to ACME its those idiots from Dearham Financial Services. Busy lodging a complaint against them now.

They are only your underwriter.  If its in your policy its from the insurer.

Your post reminded me to quickly add my 1290 to my current policy.  Been with Dearham for about 4 years now I think.  Everything I own is covered by them and I have not yet had an issue.  2 successful claims for my dirtbike and one whilst racing the Roof in 17.

Hopefully your situation is resolved soonest.
Dames, se my wat jou naam is . . .

Offline Skimnerf

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 09:27:17 am »
Right so now I will join every SA Facebook biker group too and spread the word about DEARHAM

Dearham as in RobD on the forum?

Yes same guys

Offline Skimnerf

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 09:31:26 am »
Well I did not take the bike to ACME its those idiots from Dearham Financial Services. Busy lodging a complaint against them now.

Your post reminded me to quickly add my 1290 to my current policy.  Been with Dearham for about 4 years now I think.  Everything I own is covered by them and I have not yet had an issue.  2 successful claims for my dirtbike and one whilst racing the Roof in 17.

Lucky you. My first claim and they are not even willing to listen to my concerns

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 10:00:07 am »

Same here. All my bikes and personal cars are with Dearham. Had claims, with zero issues.

I think before you slam someone on Open forum, get your ducks in a row.

Every story has 2 sides.

Im happy with Dearham and will NOT move my stuff away from them  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 10:04:50 am »
As an insurance broker that do a lot of motorcycle and car insurance, I can tell you this.........

Nowadays most insurance companies write-off bikes/cars if the repair bill is over 50% of the retail bookvalue.
This fact alone cause a lot of bikes being written off.

With modern cars/bikes being equipped with more and more high tech features, there are actually a lot more
that gets damaged in an accident and this also result in situation where a lot more hidden damage can be found
once repairwork starts.

Sometimes it happens that write-off % is just over the 50% limit and the client dont want the bike to be written-off.
Then the assessor might chat with the client and ask him whether he would be willing to accept one or two secondhand parts to bring the repairbill down and in the process "save" the bike.
Usually is for cosmetic parts, that will have no impact of the performance or safety of the bike.
In such a case the client will agree and the parts will be obtained and spraypainted to look exactly like a brandnew one.

Another time when second-hand parts might be an option, is when it is an older bike and new parts cant be found.

There is no way in hell, that it is acceptable for the insurer to force a client to do whole repair on a 2017 bike with secondhand parts.  :deal:
If it was my bike, I would not agree to such a repair job. The bike is basically brand-new and by putting second parts on such a new bike is to make a bastard of it. You will never feel good about the bike again.

By installing secondhand parts, the insurer also increase its exposure to potential liability claims should something goes wrong.............and any responsible insurer will steer away from such situations.
This is also where the broker must show his metal and get involved and fight and protect the rights of the client.

This is just my over-all comment.
Unfortunately without all the facts on the table (from both sides) it is difficult to judge.    I dont know what was discussed and agreed upon between the client and the assessor/insurer  :patch:
Thus I cannot judge.......

This brings me back to my old saying............."You never never know how good your insurance is until you claim"  :deal:

The following users thanked this post: TheBear

Offline Skimnerf

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 10:07:22 am »

Same here. All my bikes and personal cars are with Dearham. Had claims, with zero issues.

Every story has 2 sides.

Im happy with Dearham and will NOT move my stuff away from them  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Ok. So all this time being paying my premiums like a good boy and I had an accident, the assessor takes my bike straight to a scrapyard to be fixed. I phone my Broker who I pay and raise my concerns and all I get is that its in the policy wording that they may use second hand parts. I raise all my concerns and they basically parrot the same thing over and over that its in the policy wording that they may use second hand parts.

I tell them I don't feel safe having major suspension parts from a scrapyard fitted to my bike and they again spin the line and send me this

Basis of settlement

If the insured property is damaged we will at our option repair, replace or pay the cash equivalent.

So basically my Broker refuses to help me. Tell me how all my duck are not in a row. You were the first to say its bullshit what they are doing until you find out its your Broker too...Strange

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 10:09:08 am »
Skimnerf....................who sent you to ACME for a quote?

Why did you not go to a Motorrad dealership for a quote ?

If you have an extended warranty or motorplan, it might be compromised by fitting older/secondhand parts

The following users thanked this post: The TRANSPORTER

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 10:13:36 am »

Every story has 2 sides.

Ok. So all this time being paying my premiums like a good boy and I had an accident, the assessor takes my bike straight to a scrapyard to be fixed. I phone my Broker who I pay and raise my concerns and all I get is that its in the policy wording that they may use second hand parts. I raise all my concerns and they basically parrot the same thing over and over that its in the policy wording that they may use second hand parts.

I tell them I don't feel safe having major suspension parts from a scrapyard fitted to my bike and they again spin the line and send me this

Basis of settlement

If the insured property is damaged we will at our option repair, replace or pay the cash equivalent.

So basically my Broker refuses to help me. Tell me how all my duck are not in a row. You were the first to say its bullshit what they are doing until you find out its your Broker too...Strange

The problem is not calling out bad service.  That's fine!

Issue is that there is a fellow WD involved.  Which makes it a bit more sensitive.

That's why he is saying don't do this on open forum.

Don't know if you have done this already, but
send the guy a PM and see what can be done.
Carpe bm

Offline Skimnerf

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 10:14:33 am »
My bike was towed away from the accident to sent Dearham all the forms about the accident and they put me in contact with their assessor who told me the bike was at ACME Motorrad. Did not think much of this until I saw the quote and realized this place is a scrapyard and not a BMW Motorrad. I immediately raised all my concerns and told how unhappy i was with this and that is where the attitude of no help from Dearham started.

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 10:47:36 am »
This has become insurance day and starting to sound like Hellopeter. ::) :patch: :dousing:

Offline Skimnerf

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 10:54:26 am »
Its just a pity that is South Africa you always have to fight to get the service you deserve as a hard working and good paying customer

The following users thanked this post: Jabus

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 10:58:40 am »
Go to the Dakar fred and chill out. :spitcoffee:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 10:58:57 am »
Its just a pity that is South Africa you always have to fight to get the service you deserve as a hard working and good paying customer

Well, no.  It is not true that in South Africa you always have to fight for the correct service.  I understand you have a problem with your insurer and you are very p'd at the moment, but try to avoid dragging all companies and all of SA into this.

As others have said, contact @RobD via PM, get his number and call and see if it can be resolved.  I hate saying this, but continued shorts posts on how bad they are won't do anything for your situation.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:59:26 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

The following users thanked this post: BuRP

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 11:00:03 am »
Can you give some timelines and what you actually did to try and communicate your position? Smearing on this level should be an absolute last resort
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

The following users thanked this post: BuRP

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 11:01:06 am »
If ever in fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 11:02:25 am »

Well, no.  It is not true that in South Africa you always have to fight for the correct service.  I understand you have a problem with your insurer and you are very p'd at the moment, but try to avoid dragging all companies and all of SA into this.

As others have said, contact @RobD via PM, get his number and call and see if it can be resolved.  I hate saying this, but continued shorts posts on how bad they are won't do anything for your situation.

Yes Plz,

All the threads on the forum can't always end up in R&P   :peepwall:
Carpe bm

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 11:04:36 am »
Well imo ask your insurer in this case Dearham to move it from ACME to a reputable repairer thats acceptable to you and take it from there,theres no way any insurer can force you to repair it where youre not happy with , ive done it in the past and will again if not happy about the repairer .

I think what makes you p'd off is the lack of communication between Dearham and you but that can be rectified quickly.
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2020, 12:50:00 pm »

Burning bridges badly comes to mind....
Bad mouthing your Insurer, while they still have the bike, and its standing at ACME of all places, wont help any cause at all.
I think he just fucked himself  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2020, 12:52:55 pm »
1st email to letter of Cover ( and i took over an hour to supply Natis Details) in 3hrs 40min.

Very efficient as always thanks Rob & Team
Dames, se my wat jou naam is . . .