SHORT LEFT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
As my ride plan post said it was 40 days since our last ride we had to make a plan to get some seat time in ! Saturday two weeks ago having lunch at one of our favorite restaurants we chatted about going for a ride , two destinations came up
Clarence or Sabie  , ride to Clarence is just boring , so the first half to Sabie but them there is some nice twistiest and mountain passes to be had, So the decision was made , Sabie. kept tabs on the weather and it looked like rain , but so did the local forecast look like rain that did not come , so Saturday morning we packed the top-box with a change of clothing , donned our riding kit and was off . nice early morning ride , chill in the air but no need foe a winter inner as yet .
We decided to stick to the N4 and make out breakfast stop a Starstop Millies . Pulled in just after 8am ,couple of people in the restaurant , ordered 2 hot-chocolates , was nice , ordered breakfast , disappointing , Luke warm and unappetizing, paid and filled my tank to the brim , feul distance 470ks , and set off again , ( ps roadworks on the N4 , its being widened from the Belfast turnoff to Machado dorp) paid the huge toll and then on to boven , the rain has made everything nice and green , We blast along and my partner is enjoying the ride, ( has a big fear of corners and speed) she not panicking, good sign !
We turn off at Ngodwana and drive up to Kaapsehoop , In the village we stop for a drink , nice to see the place is crawling with activity , last time we visited the place was dead . could not have a drink as everything was closed . this time we were in luck .
After the refreshments we took the road down the mountain to Nelspruit , In the distance we could see dark clouds forming in the Direction of Sabie , but we were close to Nelspruit hot and humid . Road took us to White river  , lots of new development , but then I have to admit I have not been in the area for years . We pass town center heading out to Casterbridge and as we reach the new traffic circle it starts raining , in 5 min we a wet , we park the bike and head into the shopping center , its bucketing down , place is empty , normally lots of visiters but its mid January and the schools has just opened a couple of days ago , so it explains . My partner buys a nice necklace and pendant , silver at a bargan price , I get some paper towel to dry my visor , the rain stops a quick as it started and we get on the bike , head out on a dry road to Hazyview , nice ride and we enjoy the corners , In Hazyview we stop at Perrys bridge and have a milkshake , Back on the bike towards Sabie 42 ks to go , and we have the notorious 22 to contend with , My partner says take it easy as she does not like the road ( had our big get off on this road 10 years ago ) I ride easy , 10 ks in and the rain comes down , as we ge to the start of the 22 it buckets down , we get wet , I have a clown in a cage behind me , wanting to race but I wont take the bait , adventure tires in the rain on a road used by logging trucks is a sure resape for disaster , in the straits I power away , but as I slow down for the corners he catches up again, in some places the the rain has caused rivers to flow across the road , keep the pace steady and we cross them with no aquaplaning . we pull into the woodsman , damp but smiling , my partners says she enjoyed the ride .
take the wet jacket off and go book in . Order a drought , sorry sir its not working , get a coke , We take the top box to the room , hang our wet clothes to dry, dress in the dry jeans and T shirt , Go for a late lunch at the Sabie brewery , quality again poor . Back at our room we relax , Later decide to go for dinner around 8pm , I am not hungry just ordered a desert , and my partner some soup . order arrives and its crap . tasteless . And its raining ,
back in our room we have a shower and the hot water is Luke warm , beds fortunaly is comfortable and we have a good sleep . Wake up to heavy rain , raining all nite and we have to ride home , We shower and go down for breakfast , needles to say again its crap ( was our last stay at the WOODSMAN ) NEVER AGAIN !
After breakfast I deceded to take a walk down to PEP stores to go buy a cheapy rain-suit, hoping it will keep us somewhat dry , PeP was still closed but the Ghandi shop was open and he had rainsuits , XXXXL ,  :imaposer: , I buy two sets as they have to go over the Armour in the jackets , fits my partner but I can only just get the pants on , jacket to small , China size .
We head out over LONGTOM pass , rain and lots of mist , but we make it into Lydenburg and its dry , but not for long , on the road to Dullstroom it start to rain again , we push on , I stop for fuel , full tank and in the rain we head home , it rains all the way to Witbank and the we get the odd drops .
3 hours after leaving Sabie we are home , yes I di push the pace a bit , bike ran awesome and even at 170 indicated on the clock the trip computer still gave a average consumption of 19.3 Ks per liter . good going .

The woodsman has been a bikers home from home for years , met the owners some 25 years ago , they have built a nice business , but I think the downturn in the economy is taking its toll on them as well , Many friends  have the same feeling about the place  , rooms are good , but the food is horrible and they wont go back , I have for now had my last weekend there , will be looking for new accommodation even if this means I have to book a the FLOREAT HOTEL  I will at least know its a Protea resort and should be nice , better option.
Sabie as a destination is always great , have awesome roads to ride , great scenery , but the down turn in the economy is taking its toll big time , that is evident everywhere . Lets hope that it does not turn into a ghost town and we cant go ride the awesome ET roads anymore  because the money is no longer available to maintain the place .