Why do YOU ride?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throttle jockey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Call it OA or call it what you like. My latest question is simple. Why do YOU ride. I am not interested in bullshit answers. I am interested in the core reason of why my fellow dogs ride.

I will post some of my reasons here to start things off. Starting at 4 I have, in my life ridden bikes for more years than not, call me lucky call me blessed. The last 15 years for me has been interesting where it comes to riding. I went from a high of the new found adventure riding to I spose you could call it a low of ticking box's. The last 10 years I have tried to find the reason I ride "The Core" so to say. I dont say I have found it because I am still in a way searching even though I have some answers that suit me. Its a personal perception you see and we all see it differently but ultimately we call it fun. Saying its fun it too generic for me so there starts my personal search I start by finding out what I dont want in my adv riding. No list here because I am afraid that some of what I dont want will be on the list you guys want so leave that list for another day or thread. So it leaves me with a incomplete unrefined list that I am sure over time will alter. So in no particular order or importance.

1. I want to break away from everything that defines me in my everyday work life.
2. I want to be self dependent / self reliant  (I work hard at this sometimes being a bit hard on myself.)
3. I want to meet new people. (I find riding in large groups makes us unapproachable and the opposite if solo or two bikers)
4. Find and explore new ground. (Well for me at least)
5. Test my capabilities not only on the bike but also in terms of endurance and dealing with ones fears and thoughts.
6. Sometimes I am chasing myself and feel I have caught him and sometimes I realize I am on the wrong road in the wrong province compared to my goal.

Disclaimer ! This thought pattern started a long time ago but came forward again after a question from FireCoast that I answered with a question and that was " Why do YOU ride" I thought it might now be interesting to hear your opinions.

Most import here please dont lie and be honest with yourself.