BLING KING'S TIP OF THE DAY IV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlingKing

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Howdy Pilgrims,

Had a pretty savvy customer phone me kakking on me and sending me pictures of said crime scene, because I had just serviced his R1200GS and he said there was no oil in the peepy, looking glass window thingy!
I let him finish his rather long diatribe, then gave him my usual sermon in my best fashionable, even tempered manner (those that know me know that ain't easy  ;))

SImple Rule: On all Boxer motor based bikes (plus others) - check the oil when hot. SO check it when you come back from the ride, not before you start the bike and go on a ride, the glass window will show all sorts of incorrect level variants when cold.
If you want to check before you go, put bike on main stand, start bike, have a polisie coffee, wait long enough for the temp to reach the middle of the gauge or 85* on the LC. Switch bike off, wait two minutes and 33 seconds, check oil.
The oil level should be exactly in the middle (or as close as dammit is to swearing) of the glass window thingy.

If not sure if the bike is hot enough to check the oil - put your paw on the oil cooler. Simple Rule #2 - if you can touch the oil cooler, go have another polisie coffee letting the motor idle more, then check again. If the oil cooler is too hot to touch, switch bike off, wait 2 minutes and 33 seconds and then check the oil level.

Then phone garage/technician and apologize for being a chop, because now you are mellow from the polisie coffee!

Y'all have a funky day y'hear!