Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buying A House In Parklands  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Blikkies1

Buying A House In Parklands
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:17:56 pm »
Hi

I'm looking at buying a house in Parklands Cape Town, the house is lovely, the general area however has a somewhat bad rep due to its perceived concentration of Nigerians so I am concerned, the agent says that the bad element has moved out of the area but that could be sales talk. Also, the house borders a vlei which separates it from Dunoon/township - 1.2km away. Anyone here know the area and willing to comment? house is located at  3348'23.98"S  1831'7.63"E.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Buying A House In Parklands
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 05:22:22 pm »
Three words have my hair stand up on the back of my neck, nigerians, dunoon,township. :deal: :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:40:13 pm »
Yip, love the house though - modern 4 bed big yard etc, it's strange, anything similar just 800m away across the invisible barrier Sandown Rd is R1m more, my son lives alone when I'm travelling( a lot) so this may be a bad option, houses where I'm staying in Sunningdale (great area) are similarly priced but flippen small.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:50:22 pm »
There is a reason why you are getting so much for your money.
Go visit Bayside mall and the one opposite.

Check out the street traffic
I would not believe the agent. Where does she say the bad elements have moved to?

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:48:23 pm »
Don't

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:00:15 pm »
Hi

I'm looking at buying a house in Parklands Cape Town, the house is lovely, the general area however has a somewhat bad rep due to its perceived concentration of Nigerians so I am concerned, the agent says that the bad element has moved out of the area but that could be sales talk. Also, the house borders a vlei which separates it from Dunoon/township - 1.2km away. Anyone here know the area and willing to comment? house is located at  3348'23.98"S  1831'7.63"E.

Don't do it! Walk away
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 10:29:38 pm »
Stick to the basics. As I have been told a hundred times. Location location locationr.. Rather buy the smallest cheapest property in the best location than the biggest in a crap location.
Chances  are the bad location has a much worse chance of getting better than the good location of getting bad.
1.2 km from Denoon = bad location.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 10:40:19 pm »
Stick to the basics. As I have been told a hundred times. Location location locationr.. Rather buy the smallest cheapest property in the best location than the biggest in a crap location.
Chances  are the bad location has a much worse chance of getting better than the good location of getting bad.

Location, location, location, or rather the lack of one nearby is the best. I went to pick up some parts from a guy in Parklands, in Ashford close. That area looked OK to me?

Offline Messier87

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 10:49:40 pm »
Agree with above sentiments - Quickly looked at google with your coordinates - many warning lights. Incidentally spoke to someone today who was cleaned out with a burglary. Access from green belt side and they took their sweet time.

Look at it this way - From a township where people really struggle to make a living 1.2km to go "shopping" is not far. You will be one of the first houses they get to...

As mentioned - Location x 3 - and smaller/older if need be. Makes much more financial sense. Then again - your safety/life is much more important.

Good luck - "Huis koop is nie vir sissies nie."

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 12:03:11 pm »
That's a frontier area. It's developing so fast. But yes. Dunoon is a big deal.

I ride out that way every Sunday, and even though I live in the southern suburbs I've bought many plots out that way.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 12:11:00 pm »
 I've bought many plots out that way.

Have you got title deeds too? ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 12:57:52 pm »
Hi

NEE! Moenie! Agent praat kak. :deal:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 01:06:44 pm »
Thanks gents, also just read that raw sewerage from Dunoon is running directly into the vlei so I'll be looking somewhere else.

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 01:16:01 pm »
@Blikkies1, I'm not sure what your price range is, but I have a friend who have a house in Leeuwenhof Crescent, Table View, that he might want to sell.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you are interested
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 02:59:57 pm »
'Ive known Parklands from the time it was just a large stretch of bush I used to ride my bike through so I have seen the development there and as a property investor i have paid fairly close attention to it

parklands was supposed to be a Garden Cities development, lots aof parks and greenbelts to stroll down with the dogs and a pram, the whole development was supposed to be very community based.. so instead of one big mall there are sporadic centers which serve communities and then the rest of the community is held together with the churches, community halls and those greenbelts, that was all well and fine but there was one big problem, the houses that were developed were quite cheap, cheap mainly because it was a new outlying area that nobody really wanted to move to, so they made it attractive, and attract they did, people started buying 2, 3 sometimes 4 apartments which had 2 rooms in a security complex, so the problem was that it became a buy to rent area, and with that went the community and how the development was structured

That being said there are some good and bad parts of parklands, PM me the address and ill give you my thoughts.

Personally, i would only buy in Parklands if i was going to rent it as well, if you are planning on moving into the area I would rent for a year 1st then decide..

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 03:09:45 pm »
Thanks Fuzzy, I've stayed in Parklands before, it was in a great area and I had no issues but this was in Clydenank Crescent opposite the Sandown centre which was built up and closed off from foot traffic, address of the potential new place is 19 Koeberg Close, Parklands, that vlei bugs me.

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 03:11:36 pm »

Agreed, I also looked at property in that area and I could get a lot for my money, but the area was not so great back then (I doubt it has improved) and the neighbours were of the 'lower income' variety.

Ended up buying a pokey one bedroom flat 400m from the beach. No problem with dodgy tenants and it is close to all amenities.

And the bonus... it has only gone up in value.
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 03:26:15 pm »
Thanks gents, also just read that raw sewerage from Dunoon is running directly into the vlei so I'll be looking somewhere else.

It's a pity as it is a big conservation area. We used to ride horses in that vlei when I was a kid. I honestly don't want to know how the riding club survives there.
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 03:35:36 pm »
Thanks Fuzzy, I've stayed in Parklands before, it was in a great area and I had no issues but this was in Clydenank Crescent opposite the Sandown centre which was built up and closed off from foot traffic, address of the potential new place is 19 Koeberg Close, Parklands, that vlei bugs me.

yeah that Vlei is sometimes a cesspool of muck which is why there is zero watersports of any kind that happen there, you wont find anyone fishing or even hiking there. If you wait for the rains you should see a few shacks coming downstream.

If you have lived in Parklands before then you will know the potential pitfalls lower down from you

1) You get the fall out from the refinery.. I live in Bothasig and I get zero fallout from that refinery because it ALL blows over lower Tableview, there are quite a few health hot spots along that refinery fall out area
2) Its too close to Gie road.. Gie road is famous for its robberies, smash & grabs, rapes and almost everything else.. mainly because of how the Dunoon guys gather by Boy De Goede circle so its always going to have a bad reputation
3) There is such massive development near the new shopping center that those houses will not increase in value for the next 5 years

I don't know that spot specifically so Im sure there are some positives, one of which is that its good value for money, all of those new developments higher up in Sandown Rd sell out before they break ground.

Keep a look out for bargains, I just missed one in Pentz Drive in Flamingo Vlei.. blind auction, you got one chance to put in your highest offer, highest offer got the house. The guy who got the house was only R120k over my offer

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 03:36:59 pm »

It's a pity as it is a big conservation area. We used to ride horses in that vlei when I was a kid. I honestly don't want to know how the riding club survives there.

Didnt the riding club move years ago?? from my recall its been a good 7 odd years , maybe more , dunno, maybe im thinking of a different riding club