Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to buy a bike you've never seen?  (Read 771 times)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
Re: How to buy a bike you've never seen?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 02:55:59 pm »
I had been very lucky in my 'unseen' buy. However I will only buy unseen from a fellow WD. I know it won't protect me much but the chance of a bullshiiter flogging rubbish is much less. We know each other and guys tend to respect that. I bought from WD in JHB while being in CPT. Bike was exactly as described and all I had to do was organise the transport. I must admit it was a hairdryer experience and all manner of worse case scenarios come up as soon as you have dropped the cash.

But as I said pick carefully and have a WD look at it first

Ook so gedink, het n lekker probleem bike gekry, en R20 000 later ja....

Offline halfjob

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 02:59:50 pm »
bought my sons Dakkie unseen from a dog in jhb, was a very pleasant experience :thumleft: everything exactly as he described it. couriered it down with one of the bike transporters and was very happy. just make sure it is insured before you take it/ride it home  :deal:
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 03:12:29 pm »
The problem with buying something unseen, or on the word of another is often the difference in perception.  I once sold a Venter trailer to a good friend.  He told him it was only a year old and spotless.  To me it was.  When he received it he almost k@kked himself because of a scratch on the nosecone.  I can honestly say I never noticed it.  To save the friendship and face on my side, I refunded him enough to buy a new nosecone.  A few months later we visited and he showed me the "deep scratch, more a gash" that had him in tears.  I reckon it could have been polished out in 15 seconds.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 03:13:56 pm »
My real question is how to handle the transaction... let the courier get the bike and all the paperwork - and then do the EFT?

You probably mean the other way round.

Would you let a courier load a bike up and take it with paper work without having the EFT cleared first?

The agreement with the courier is different.
You pay them to bring the bike and papers down.
But.... they gotta check the papers and the bike actually match.
when the courier is in possession of bike and papers... then I'll pay the seller.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 11:41:21 am »
Fly up look at it if you like by it ride it back . If you buy it with out seeing it , You might as well start the thread now on how disappointed you are

Excellent advice, the best in fact!
Go look, see and feel for yourself, and that pertains to bike as well as seller!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 09:50:17 am »
Very easy to buy, sight unseen:

Just buy from @chopper pilot    :thumleft:    :biggrin:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Rooies

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 09:03:18 pm »
Over the last 6 months I have bought 2 bikes unseen from Wilddogs. I am in Gauteng, one couriered up from Wilderness, the other one from the Northern Cape nether regions. Both were exactly as advertised and I am a happy customer in both instances. I understood the risks, did my homework, and was comfortable take a very calculated risk. I have also sold 1 x bike and 1 x car on this forum, both instances no comebacks. I would only attempt this on this forum as I believe this is a community that, for 99% of the time, is something special, where honesty and integrity counts for something and peer review keeps us honest.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:04:49 pm by Rooies »
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 12:19:21 pm »
Over the last 6 months I have bought 2 bikes unseen from Wilddogs. I am in Gauteng, one couriered up from Wilderness, the other one from the Northern Cape nether regions. Both were exactly as advertised and I am a happy customer in both instances. I understood the risks, did my homework, and was comfortable take a very calculated risk. I have also sold 1 x bike and 1 x car on this forum, both instances no comebacks. I would only attempt this on this forum as I believe this is a community that, for 99% of the time, is something special, where honesty and integrity counts for something and peer review keeps us honest.  :thumleft:

Agreed.
I bought my KTM from a WD member - no issues whatsoever.... although he seemed a little hesitant t trust me.  :imaposer:

The bike I bought last week was not from a Dog, but a Dog did check it out for me.
 :thumleft:

Online onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 12:31:40 pm »
I'm done with that business, never buying a vehicle unseen/long distance again.

+1

I will only buy from a handful of WD's  unseen.  Not taking the risk again

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:32:30 pm by onderbroek »
hak vrystaat

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 05:12:56 pm »
I'm done with that business, never buying a vehicle unseen/long distance again.

+1

I will only buy from a handful of WD's  unseen.  Not taking the risk again

Same here.....tired of people's stories.

Tyres ok usually means just worn past the COR limit, chain and sprockets ok is code for you can still get some life out of it if you turn the sprockets around, immaculate normally means scratches have been temprarily covered by polish...etc, etc, etc.

I will only buy unseen from a very few people including Chopperpilot and Blazes.

Offline GAW

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 09:11:25 pm »
They did one for a finance house on a bike I sold.

More a “dings and scrapes” assessment than an in depth technical report tho’ - the even recorded the mileage incorrectly on the report 😳

I wonder if Dekra does technical checks on bikes as they do with cars?