Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts  (Read 64900 times)

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Re: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts
« Reply #2080 on: September 01, 2021, 12:07:20 pm »
It glides through the steak like there is nothing there. The elementum fixed blade is better at chopping onions though. I think i will modify this one by taking off the flipper tab.
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2081 on: September 02, 2021, 02:13:00 pm »
Bought this last week at OutdoorWarehouse. Cheap as dirt at R300 and slices biltong better than some more expensive blades.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 02:16:00 pm by heinzz »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2082 on: September 02, 2021, 02:45:12 pm »
Bought this last week at OutdoorWarehouse. Cheap as dirt at R300 and slices biltong better than some more expensive blades.

Someone told me expensive is not necessarily always better and I have learned that of recent.
Eg the name Benchmark is the blade of choice with most local guys that I have met in the agricultural sector here in Kansas, and the guys on a budged will go with Buck and Old Timer and Keirshaw.
Some but to a less extend will cary Leatherman

What I have found on some of these American made knives is that they all or atleast the ones I handled have a very good opening action, nice and solid but the closing is not like the new new cool ‘bank vault’ action.
I have found some reviews on knives rather funny in the wat some of the guys describe and most should be good in marketing and selling because of the way of words.

However; within my budged I have found the knives that does everything I like:
Flipper tab
Secure locking
Good in the hand
Good steel
Good slicer & cutter
No play (wiggle) while using
Good scales
Secure and positive closing

I found the above in the Kizer Gemini and Dukes

Then more of an artisan and less serious yet effective general use knife the Opinel bever disappointed and now I am in love with it’s Italian cousin: Old Bear

I am sure there are many examples of ‘cheap’ and affordable that are indeed excellent knives

Offline johanp

« Reply #2083 on: September 02, 2021, 02:51:39 pm »
Can confirm - those are great biltong knives. The coin is a nice touch.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2084 on: September 02, 2021, 05:01:48 pm »

It is the story behind the coin that fascinates me, as in giving a friend a knife as a gift.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 05:03:53 pm by heinzz »

Offline Oshkosh

2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline johanp

« Reply #2086 on: September 02, 2021, 05:51:25 pm »

It is the story behind the coin that fascinates me, as in giving a friend a knife as a gift.
Exactly. So in this case you’re gifting the knife, as well as the coin they’re supposed to give to you.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2087 on: September 02, 2021, 08:25:16 pm »

Exactly. So in this case you’re gifting the knife, as well as the coin they’re supposed to give to you.

Don’t be so technical. Enjoy it for what it is. Tomorrow I will post the collection that I am actually using. Should get a Browning that I ordered two months ago just for fun this week.

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2088 on: September 02, 2021, 08:40:54 pm »
I also recieve coins when i give people knives. Usually on Paypal :laughing4:

Sorry couldn't resist.
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2089 on: September 02, 2021, 09:41:20 pm »

Don’t be so technical. Enjoy it for what it is. Tomorrow I will post the collection that I am actually using. Should get a Browning that I ordered two months ago just for fun this week.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:01:12 am by heinzz »

Offline johanp

« Reply #2090 on: September 02, 2021, 10:23:56 pm »
Very cool! My first was also an Okapi, also still got it. Got any pics of yours?

Also broke my Skeletool CX, or the bit driver attachment at least. I need to send it back, but I’m afraid they’d probably just replace it with a new one.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2091 on: September 02, 2021, 10:40:11 pm »
Very cool! My first was also an Okapi, also still got it. Got any pics of yours?

Also broke my Skeletool CX, or the bit driver attachment at least. I need to send it back, but I’m afraid they’d probably just replace it with a new one.
My damage on the CX was more severe. I broke the pliers. I had the serated edge blade that I hated. The replacement is without the seration.

Will post a pic of the Okapi.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2092 on: September 02, 2021, 11:08:18 pm »

That is what happened with mine 2 years back and they sent me a new one. I was a bit disappointed because the original tool was a gift with sentimental value of sort but I moved one
Great service though

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2093 on: September 02, 2021, 11:15:46 pm »
My two users and my favorite knives. That elementum is a champ.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, johanp

Offline johanp

« Reply #2094 on: September 03, 2021, 07:13:34 am »

That is what happened with mine 2 years back and they sent me a new one. I was a bit disappointed because the original tool was a gift with sentimental value of sort but I moved one
Great service though
Eish, yes and I actually like the serrated blade funny enough. I reckon it suits the kind of things a multi tool will be cutting such as straps, rope, etc.
I'll mail Awesome Tools and see if they could replace the broken part only.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline mox

« Reply #2095 on: September 03, 2021, 07:19:48 am »

The stuff that I carry and use most often. All with sentimental value.

I have retired the two Kershaws in the middle row to light duty. Have had them for 25 years and the Corral Creek has been in my pocked for close to 20 years every day.

My first knife was a Okapi that I got when I was 6 years old. Still got it. I have been lucky not to loose a knife ever.

My only regret was abusing my first Leatherman Skeletool CX that was replaced with the one in the pic. Had done numerous trips in Africa with that tool in my pocket. A lot of sentimental value. Was actually upset when they replaced it instead of fixing it.

Awesome!

My mom gifted me the Kershaw Black Gulch and the Wildcat Ridge when I was a boy. My most treasured physical items, unfortunately they were both affirmative shopped and I still keep my eyes and ears open for replacements. If I remember they had 440A steel.

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2096 on: September 03, 2021, 12:32:43 pm »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:15:33 am by heinzz »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2097 on: September 03, 2021, 12:47:20 pm »
So before you guys think i am just an insane knife buyer. I actually have some method behind the madness.  :imaposer:

The two CRKTs i bought went to two of my friends here in the USA as gifts.
The Kershaw Leek and the Opinel 12 went to Tom.
I sold the large Griptilian to a chap here.
The Crooked river is going to my brother as his wedding gift.
The Rustic gent and the Appalachian drifter was sold to a friend of a friend here in the states.
The Honey Badger is going to a friend of mine's son as his first proper knife.

So i am left with the CRK, the Elementum and two sheepdogs.

And...... i have something in the mail  :laughing4: :laughing4: Something i wanted to try for a while. Something to replace the Griptilian as my camp, outdoor, utility, box cutter, hiking knife.

Anybody want to guess?  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 12:49:16 pm by Captain Zef »

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2098 on: September 03, 2021, 12:57:39 pm »

The stuff that I carry and use most often. All with sentimental value.

I have retired the two Kershaws in the middle row to light duty. Have had them for 25 years and the Corral Creek has been in my pocked for close to 20 years every day.

My first knife was a Okapi that I got when I was 6 years old. Still got it. I have been lucky not to loose a knife ever.

My only regret was abusing my first Leatherman Skeletool CX that was replaced with the one in the pic. Had done numerous trips in Africa with that tool in my pocket. A lot of sentimental value. Was actually upset when they replaced it instead of fixing it.

Awesome!

My mom gifted me the Kershaw Black Gulch and the Wildcat Ridge when I was a boy. My most treasured physical items, unfortunately they were both affirmative shopped and I still keep my eyes and ears open for replacements. If I remember they had 440A steel.

Thought I will try and help you but seems both knives are not available new anymore and there have been searches on Amazon for them already as they auto complete in search
If you can locate them in the US I am willing to bring them to SA en of year
I am only coming back middle Dec (maybe )

The following users thanked this post: mox

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2099 on: September 03, 2021, 01:00:36 pm »
So before you guys think i am just an insane knife buyer. I actually have some method behind the madness.  :imaposer:

The two CRKTs i bought went to two of my friends here in the USA as gifts.
The Kershaw Leek and the Opinel 12 went to Tom.
I sold the large Griptilian to a chap here.
The Crooked river is going to my brother as his wedding gift.
The Rustic gent and the Appalachian drifter was sold to a friend of a friend here in the states.
The Honey Badger is going to a friend of mine's son as his first proper knife.

So i am left with the CRK, the Elementum and two sheepdogs.

And...... i have something in the mail  :laughing4: :laughing4: Something i wanted to try for a while. Something to replace the Griptilian as my camp, outdoor, utility, box cutter, hiking knife.

Anybody want to guess?  :biggrin:

You got to at least gif us the maker of the knife and then one can try and figure the model knife  :deal: :imaposer:
I’m done buying knives for a while except gifts to my son and a friend back home…..and an extra Old bear to keep as a spare