Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts  (Read 64906 times)

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Re: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts
« Reply #2100 on: September 03, 2021, 01:06:17 pm »
Its sounds like a company of spiders :laughing4:
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Online mox

« Reply #2101 on: September 03, 2021, 01:09:42 pm »
Para 3 or a Para Military 2?

Online mox

« Reply #2102 on: September 03, 2021, 01:11:08 pm »
Bought this last week at OutdoorWarehouse. Cheap as dirt at R300 and slices biltong better than some more expensive blades.
Can confirm - those are great biltong knives. The coin is a nice touch.

It is the story behind the coin that fascinates me, as in giving a friend a knife as a gift.
Exactly. So in this case you’re gifting the knife, as well as the coin they’re supposed to give to you.

Don’t be so technical. Enjoy it for what it is. Tomorrow I will post the collection that I am actually using. Should get a Browning that I ordered two months ago just for fun this week.
The stuff that I carry and use most often. All with sentimental value.

I have retired the two Kershaws in the middle row to light duty. Have had them for 25 years and the Corral Creek has been in my pocked for close to 20 years every day.

My first knife was a Okapi that I got when I was 6 years old. Still got it. I have been lucky not to loose a knife ever.

My only regret was abusing my first Leatherman Skeletool CX that was replaced with the one in the pic. Had done numerous trips in Africa with that tool in my pocket. A lot of sentimental value. Was actually upset when they replaced it instead of fixing it.

Awesome!

My mom gifted me the Kershaw Black Gulch and the Wildcat Ridge when I was a boy. My most treasured physical items, unfortunately they were both affirmative shopped and I still keep my eyes and ears open for replacements. If I remember they had 440A steel.

Thought I will try and help you but seems both knives are not available new anymore and there have been searches on Amazon for them already as they auto complete in search
If you can locate them in the US I am willing to bring them to SA en of year
I am only coming back middle Dec (maybe )

Thank you Tom, I appreciate it. Yes they are no longer in production and I doubt there are many that pop up even used.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2103 on: September 03, 2021, 01:11:14 pm »

PM2 in S45VN..... man i am super excited.
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith

Online mox

« Reply #2104 on: September 03, 2021, 01:14:47 pm »
 :biggrin:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2105 on: September 03, 2021, 01:15:02 pm »
Box of dreams. Found this on instagram.

Offline johanp

« Reply #2106 on: September 03, 2021, 03:22:49 pm »
So before you guys think i am just an insane knife buyer. I actually have some method behind the madness.  :imaposer:

I can't say the same. I simply buy whatever seems interesting, pretty, or useful to me.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #2107 on: September 03, 2021, 03:33:52 pm »

PM2 in S45VN..... man i am super excited.

Loving my S30V PM2. Best gift I ever got, plus my friend just said our titanium deep carry clips arrived from LynchNW. Cannot wait to fit it when I am back home.

2009 BMW G450X w/ Factory Replica Sticker Kit (Sold)
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, johanp

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2108 on: September 03, 2021, 04:16:43 pm »
I am planning to mod mine. Titanium scales and pocket clip. But it all depends on weather i like it or not. :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith

Online mox

« Reply #2109 on: September 03, 2021, 10:38:34 pm »
Monday morning knives.  :biggrin:
I'll let you know what I think of each when I have had some time to play with them.

Interested to hear about that button lock..

The button lock is an odd thing for me, it works but feels a bit gritty. This improve with use though. Once engaged/disengaged  the blade swings freely, no issues. I have not decided if this method of deployment is to my liking, almost a gravity knife.

Steel is 14c28n.  It was nice and sharp out of the box and is okay in edge retention. I do find it is prone to chipping and rolling on the edge though , carefull  of what you cut, cardboard may be okay but your wine bottle top not.

Feels great on the hand and a better size than the flipper .

To me I would not have skelotonized the knife, a bit more weight but probably more stable.  There is a bit of flex and I like to use knives hard (without prejudice)
Button lock gives a solid lfeel to the knife though I am not sure how much strength there is, I am talking heavy use.
A decent knife really.  Just make sure you understand the opening  and closing mechanism.  It just swings.

I want a fixed blade configuration of this knife, maybe with better retention steel.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2110 on: September 03, 2021, 11:48:53 pm »
First impressions. This is by far the sharpest knife i have ever handled. I am scared of it.
Hope i make the weekend with all my blood still inside me.  :lol8:

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok, johanp

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2111 on: September 04, 2021, 12:12:28 am »
First impressions. This is by far the sharpest knife i have ever handled. I am scared of it.
Hope i make the weekend with all my blood still inside me.  :lol8:

Mooi mes
Cappie die oumense het gese jy sny jouself raak met n stomp mes, want hy doen bie wat jy wil he hy moet nie.
N skerp mes sny volgens jou intensies
Ek glo dit

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, johanp, Andrew_Smith

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #2112 on: September 05, 2021, 11:08:22 am »
The PM2 is one of the classic Spyderco’s, with a well deserved reputation. Excellent performance for your $$$.  :thumleft:

I like it too…  :3some:

The CTS-20CP sprint (S90V equivalent steel) started my Spyderco journey 10 years ago. It used to have grey G10 scales, but I swapped for all black at some point. I also convexed it nice and thin. It is still rock solid, and the knife I usually grab to break down boxes.

The rest have all been used a lot, except for the M4 CF, which is still minty fresh.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 11:16:21 am by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, johanp, Andrew_Smith

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2113 on: September 05, 2021, 01:48:06 pm »
Ok so my 2nd first impressions on the PM2.

Its probably the best utility EDC i have ever handled. Extremely sharp, extremely slicey.
I like the idea that this looks really scary just in case it has to be used in self defense one day while hiking in the woods. For a fat guy i do walk a lot. Hopefully i will never need it.
The action is pretty good. The lock mechanism could be better but its better than a liner lock for sure. You don't want your fingers in front of that blade. You can fidget with it a bit. The lock hurts my finger after a while. Which is sad.
I ordered a deep carry pocket clip because the standard pocket clip carries way to high. The standard clip is really nicely finished though.
The scales feel like they could not be any cheaper and they feel way more like FRN than G10. These scales are going to be swopped ASAP.
So now the problems with the PM2. I would not cut biltong or an apple towards my thumb with it. If its slips its too the hospital with you. For some reason the blade gets really stuck in cheese.  :imaposer: You can use it on a picnic with you GF  :laughing4:
People in the office will start running if i pull this thing there.
It cuts meat really well though.
The ergonomics are the best. They will be better with contoured scales. The gimping in the choil and on top is very aggressive. A little too aggressive in my opinion if you want to use it all day long.

So what do you get for a 150 USD.
A fantastic blade and frame that you have to finish yourself with mods. In my opinion a little expensive because many PM2s end up being 300usd plus. But i do not regret buying it. I am happy with my purchase.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Andrew_Smith

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2114 on: September 05, 2021, 02:19:03 pm »
A dude here in the USA made us boere wors for hotdogs.

Damn it was good.

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok, johanp, Andrew_Smith

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
« Reply #2115 on: September 05, 2021, 03:17:15 pm »
I agree, it is a great utility blade.

As for size, initially I used to think the PM2 was too large (and scary) as an EDC, but my view changed after I got used to it’s big brother the Military. Now the PM2 seems to be on the small side…  :lol8: I prefer the Military in many cases.

I swapped to a set of Ti scales for a while, and really tried to like it, but eventually ditched them and went back to the G10. The weight difference is substantial enough that it changes the character of the knife in a negative way in my opinion. You may find it works better for you, but I quite like the G10 as a no nonsense functional and strong material. I’ve noticed the PM2’s over the last years appear to have quite blocky scales, and can do with a bit of radiusing/contouring. A 5 min job with some wet/dry sandpaper will do wonders.

The Casey Lynch ti clips are nice and relatively sturdy, and are a good low carry option. I still use them on a few knives, but I found they tend to cause an annoying hotspot during extended use. Not an issue with occasional EDC type usage though, but for me the factory clips are better with ergos.

I am curious to hear your thoughts after all the mods and a few more miles on the odo…  :thumleft:

Spyderco utilised the PM2 platform to showcase the characteristics of many different blade steels over the years. That is one reason why I own many Spydercos, and no CRK’s to be honest… I am too much of a steel junky and a cheapskate to pay megabucks for a S35VN Sebenza at 59-60 HRC!  :peepwall:  :pot:

Sign me up for a Sebenza in CPM-MagnaCut though…
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 03:28:32 pm by Boerbok »
Hans

SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, Andrew_Smith

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2116 on: September 05, 2021, 03:58:31 pm »
I don't care about the steel all that much. Anything from 154cm to S45VN is good enough for me. I don't like steels that are hard to sharpen. Its all in the grind and finish for me.

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
« Reply #2117 on: September 05, 2021, 04:24:08 pm »
True that, some steels are a pain in the ass to sharpen. All good, just different. O0.

I have not experienced S45VN yet, but I have read it is a good evolution of S30V. :thumleft:
Hans

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, Andrew_Smith

Offline shark_za

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #2118 on: September 05, 2021, 07:11:33 pm »
It used to have grey G10 scales, but I swapped for all black at some point.
I have a spare set of these grey scales off my 20CP, if you want them.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2119 on: September 05, 2021, 07:26:12 pm »
Am I the only one with this new found skill (only made possible by ‘worksharp sharpener which makes it easy)
I examine my knives daily and will find an excuse to sharpen it  ::)
The Kershaw Leek that Cappie gave me was sharpened no less than 4 times already and I an confident it just as sharp as my razor blade :biggrin:
Just somehow satisfying

I use the Kershaw Leek daily because I don't feel sorry for it, and not because I got it for free but simply because it is strong and solid. Yes Cappie told me he doesnt like the copper handle for various reasons and I get it but it is a good solid knife for a agriculture worker or for anyone doing hard labour, dirty greasy hands etc, you get the picture

I still after several weeks can’t choose between the Kizer Gemini or Dukes of being my favorite.
They are close, real close and of great quality.
Maybe the Gemini has the edge - pun intended  :lol8: but I love both more than ever knife I have ever owned.

The Delica 4 is one of those knives I really want to keep and want to like and the only way to do that is to get titanium scales I guess which is $105 and then I reason that for the same price I can try yet a different Kizer  :biggrin:
I should just bite the bullet and pimp it I guess   8)