Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts  (Read 70856 times)

Online mox

Re: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts
« Reply #2200 on: September 28, 2021, 09:53:54 am »
Cold Steel American Lawman

This is a serious knife that I am sure will hold up to any task thrown at it. It feels bomb proof yet light. The knife just falls into place when I go to grip it either choked up or not which surprised me.  It's thin and surprisingly comfortable. The closed height of the knife immediately struck me as something I will not like but I think that dimension will fade as I get used to the knife.

The G10 scales are not reinforced but feel extremely solid, more so than any knife with no liner reinforcing.

S35VN steel which is great and it came sharp from the factory - VERY sharp. It has DLC on the blade (Diamond Like coating) which comes across as low friction and time will tell how hard it is and lasts.

I ordered the knife thinking it was a hollow grind but the one I received is a flat grind. Even looking at the Cold Steel website it says it is hollow ground.
I did some digging and it seems that somewhere in the past they changed to a flat grind. No worries, the blade will be better suited to harder work even if it is a little bit less slicier.

The Tri-Ad lock is positive and confidence inspiring, I don't think this will ever fail with normal EDC chores and with common sense when doing real heavy work. Probably the strongest on the market. https://www.coldsteel.com/tri-ad-lock/

Action is great out of the box, easy to control and smooth. Both phosphorus-bronze and teflon washers - I was always skeptical about this system but it has proven to work on my Ontario knives really well. Have not had to replace the teflon on any of them yet.

The pocket clip is as stiff and all Cold Steel knifes which may end up destroying a few pockets - it surely wont slip or snag out of your pocket or webbing easily. You get a second clip in the box for the lefty's and the thumb studs are also reversible.

Some Specs:

Blade Length: 8.89 cm
Handle: 11.74 cm
Overall: 20.63 cm
Weight: 127 -128 g
Blade Thickness: 3.5 mm
Handle Material: Black G10
Steel: S35VN Stainless Steel with Black DLC Coating
Pocket Clip: Ambidextrous Stainless Pocket/Belt Clip
Made in Taiwan

A review I found: https://taskandpurpose.com/reviews/cold-steel-american-lawman-review/

This is built to be a hard use knife. I like it a lot.

Ontario Rat 1 for size comparison

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:55:37 am by mox »

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Andrew_Smith

Offline shark_za

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #2201 on: September 28, 2021, 10:45:07 am »
This knife has been in my pocket more often than any other since I got mine.
I think its the fact its not a "fancy" knife I feel bad about using hard.

It can take a beating, litteraly, give it some spine whacks and see.  ;)

Online mox

« Reply #2202 on: September 28, 2021, 11:08:19 am »
This knife has been in my pocket more often than any other since I got mine.
I think its the fact its not a "fancy" knife I feel bad about using hard.

It can take a beating, litteraly, give it some spine whacks and see.  ;)

I'll see how it goes with this one, I wouldn't mind seeing what the Code 4 is like as well.

I have an older Recon 1 which is a brute and a little too big for an EDC in my opinion.

Online mox

« Reply #2203 on: September 28, 2021, 02:48:10 pm »
@shark_za I forgot to ask, how has the DLC  held up with use?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2204 on: September 29, 2021, 05:12:11 am »
😳 I am in love, how can a proper quality folder only cost me $28 including tax and delivered at my door?
This is a hidden gem I found with thanks to some knife guy reviewer of sort…he knows his shit.
Cheaper as Civivi with D2 and absolutely near perfect carftmanahip.
This is not the last Sitivien in my collection and believe me it works daily.
I have worked a 14 hour shift and this knife has changed hands as we were curring webbing, tarp and cable ties and every single guy asked me ‘what knife is this’!!
The bug is in my belt and basically my dinner/food knife bit the Citivien is the work knife.
I love Kizer a lot and they got a special time and place where I will use it but this is now my edc knives.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, mox, johanp

Offline Old Bugger

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Silence is better than BULLSH*T
« Reply #2205 on: September 29, 2021, 06:16:52 am »
😳 I am in love, how can a proper quality folder only cost me $28 including tax and delivered at my door?
This is a hidden gem I found with thanks to some knife guy reviewer of sort…he knows his shit.
Cheaper as Civivi with D2 and absolutely near perfect carftmanahip.
This is not the last Sitivien in my collection and believe me it works daily.
I have worked a 14 hour shift and this knife has changed hands as we were curring webbing, tarp and cable ties and every single guy asked me ‘what knife is this’!!
The bug is in my belt and basically my dinner/food knife bit the Citivien is the work knife.
I love Kizer a lot and they got a special time and place where I will use it but this is now my edc knives.
:drif: nice find Tom  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #2206 on: September 29, 2021, 06:46:45 am »
My first taste of K390, a very hard (65+ HRC) and high carbide tool steel (non-stainless). It is a modification of 10V. Some info here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/08/03/cpm-10v-steel-history-properties-and-how-to-heat-treat/

@Boerbok What's those Knipex adjusting pliers like?  Are they worth the money?

Offline shark_za

• Race Dog
  • KTM 300
« Reply #2207 on: September 29, 2021, 08:19:22 am »

It still looks like the day it was put on.
The sping coating is chipped and wearing but the blade DLC is still perfect.
I use this knife HARD and without sympathy, and its locking and looking like the day I got it.

Online mox

« Reply #2208 on: September 29, 2021, 08:55:55 am »

It still looks like the day it was put on.
The sping coating is chipped and wearing but the blade DLC is still perfect.
I use this knife HARD and without sympathy, and its locking and looking like the day I got it.

Awesome. Yes the clip is 'just painted and no DLC treatment.
I am really starting to enjoy this knife.

Offline shark_za

• Race Dog
  • KTM 300
« Reply #2209 on: September 29, 2021, 09:05:37 am »
Clip and Backspring just painted it seems.
Quite a handy belly and distal taper for EDC jobs.

I REALLY like this knife, more than I should

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #2210 on: September 29, 2021, 09:24:32 am »
My first taste of K390, a very hard (65+ HRC) and high carbide tool steel (non-stainless). It is a modification of 10V. Some info here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/08/03/cpm-10v-steel-history-properties-and-how-to-heat-treat/

@Boerbok What's those Knipex adjusting pliers like?  Are they worth the money?

I really like the Knipex Pliers wrenches. I have 3 in different sizes (150mm, 180mm, 250mm). The smooth jaws move in parallel, and does not mark nuts or fasteners, but the force multiplication means you can grip very tightly. It is more versatile IMO than an adjustable wrench (if space allows).

They are expensive but totally worth it IMO. This is a high quality tool. I will replace one immediately if I lose it. Get the comfort grip one if you can.

The video explains it well:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 09:35:13 am by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

The following users thanked this post: Sláinte Mhaith

Offline shark_za

• Race Dog
  • KTM 300
« Reply #2211 on: September 29, 2021, 09:52:55 am »
Holding up well.

The following users thanked this post: mox

Offline Tony the Boney

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #2212 on: September 29, 2021, 11:24:47 am »
Looks good!
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline johanp

« Reply #2213 on: September 29, 2021, 11:40:24 am »

This arrived today and photos/videos can't do it justice. The 3D effect from the copper and carbon is simply amazing.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2214 on: September 29, 2021, 01:10:47 pm »

This arrived today and photos/videos can't do it justice. The 3D effect from the copper and carbon is simply amazing.

Love it, cost $97 here
Was looking at it but over my budged

Offline johanp

« Reply #2215 on: September 29, 2021, 01:13:23 pm »

Love it, cost $97 here
Was looking at it but over my budged
Thanks, yep it was R1850 from Knifeguy. I've bought it for collecting though, it's too pretty to be used.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #2216 on: September 29, 2021, 03:16:05 pm »
It is with some embarrasment that I post this. Around 2000 I spent time as an UN peacekeeping staff member in the DRC. Even though I own (and have owned at the time) multiple supertools of the Leathernan and Gerber (rubbish) multitool persuasion, I decided not to take any of those to an environment where I would really truely deeply depend on the quality of such a tool, I rather went to the Crazy store and bought a R79 cheapy. I drilled holes in walls to hammer in Hiltis with it, I removed and repaired a Nissan Patrol’s radiator, I repaired kit and cut stuff. It is kept in my safe:

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, mox, johanp

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2217 on: September 29, 2021, 05:51:15 pm »
It is with some embarrasment that I post this. Around 2000 I spent time as an UN peacekeeping staff member in the DRC. Even though I own (and have owned at the time) multiple supertools of the Leathernan and Gerber (rubbish) multitool persuasion, I decided not to take any of those to an environment where I would really truely deeply depend on the quality of such a tool, I rather went to the Crazy store and bought a R79 cheapy. I drilled holes in walls to hammer in Hiltis with it, I removed and repaired a Nissan Patrol’s radiator, I repaired kit and cut stuff. It is kept in my safe:

Once a while you get a gem, like a no name or unknown.
I have got a SOG multitool that is by far my favourite and carried it in Iraq and Afg for many years
Lost it on n bike trip and found it again…so much sentiment that I have put it in a drawer at hom and will once a while have a look at it only to put it back… sounds stupid right? Same with my 2 x limited edition CRKT knives which was my folders of the time.
I got 2 x Learherman Waves and to me that is the to go to always on my belt, one is new and spare
This year I got the Supertool which fits my work better
Lost it and got a Leatherman Rebar; rubish
I will give that away
Someone else dound my Supertool on a grain train and returned it
Now I got a spare as well because I cannot work without it
My knives this year was mainly all budged to cheap and the only dissapointment was the new M16 CRKT
They have gone South
My biggest surprise which runs a smile of satisfaction is Sitivien flippers with liner lock
Excellent

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #2218 on: September 30, 2021, 12:20:34 am »

I will give that away

Hey Tom, I’m curious, why do you find the Rebar to be rubbish? I always thought it was a smaller version of the Supertool 300, but similar quality?
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2219 on: September 30, 2021, 03:45:18 am »

I will give that away

Hey Tom, I’m curious, why do you find the Rebar to be rubbish? I always thought it was a smaller version of the Supertool 300, but similar quality?

I am not full of shit, I am someone that is very easy to please
For example, many people will not even touch a knife made under licence in China and worse a Chinese made ‘in name’ knife like my Sitivien’s which I think is much superior to some Kershaw, CRKT and even a benchmade of the guys I work with.
To them even a Buck is a bit ‘humble’

So the Rebar is in fact a shrunk down version of the Supertool but it is sadly made cheap.
It looks good new, but after a day’s use on the train manipulating steel seals  the handles do not line up perfectly anymore.
I have machine and tool sympathy and nearly shit myself last night when we were working in the dark and I thought I was cutting an electrical wire (copper with plastic jacket) bit it was a plastic coated steel wire.
Well to demonstrate how anal I am about my shit even ‘made in China I first honed the blade perfectly hair popping sharp and then got on with my evening.

The Rebar is flimsy period, even the straight blade is bending when cutting through a nylon webbing of sort.
So maybe for someone that only uses a multitool for light duty hobbies or so yes, but a definite no to a farmer or a tradesman/diy of sort

The Leather man Wave is far superior in quality and performance.
You can handle them side by side and will easily spot the differences.
For my line of work the Supertool is just perfect.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, Boerbok