Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts  (Read 72926 times)

Offline Wayne

Re: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts
« Reply #2240 on: October 03, 2021, 07:40:24 pm »
I also thought it looked a bit like a biltong knife.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline mox

« Reply #2241 on: October 03, 2021, 08:13:41 pm »
Pruning and garden knives has got more of a sickle blade shape.
I can’t say it is not meant for agri but doubt
That blade is popular in communities where they discouraged ‘dangerous and tactical blades
They would normally not have a sharp point to prevent stabbing and the blade length should topically not be longer than 3 inches

Thanks. I’ve got a feeling that they are for grafting grape vines. I previously got grafting  folding knives at our local co-op and gave them to family members as biltong knives after I refinished the wood, as it had a similar shape to a biltong knife. But those were less elaborate and without a locking device.  But also nice wood.

Correct. I remember my great uncle carrying a similar shaped blade in the vineyards for pruning and grafting in Italy.

Offline shark_za

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #2242 on: October 04, 2021, 11:18:53 am »
Parra 3
No doubt,

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #2243 on: October 04, 2021, 12:24:42 pm »
Today i am carrying my Mini Griptillian.  O0
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: mox

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #2244 on: October 04, 2021, 12:43:58 pm »
Ok so one of my workers tried to close my EDC folding knife, and not understanding why the blade would not close, and with a firm belief that absolutely everything can be solved by force, managed to bend the frame and locking clip.

It was a cheapie I got for free, but worked very well.

So I am in the market for a EDC knife

Requirements:
1) Folder
2) Must be kak tough. I work with it, I dont carry it for show or cutting biltong.
3) Needs to have a clip so I can clip in into my pocket.
4) Needs a locking tab under the blade. Not the locking tab on the rear of the handle.
5) One hand open, one hand close
6) Budget. Not something expensive.

I am listening.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2245 on: October 04, 2021, 12:49:43 pm »
@Kaboef  People swear by the Ontario Rat 2. I don't have one but i would love to try one one day,

https://www.knifeguy.co.za/collections/ontario/products/ontario-rat-ii-d2-8828

Also i can recommend the Honey Badger. I had one. I would carry it as EDC no problem.

https://www.knifeguy.co.za/collections/honey-badger/products/honey-badger-flipper-large-green
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #2246 on: October 04, 2021, 01:04:11 pm »
Daai Honey Badger lyk kwaai.

Sal nogals hou van serrated edge heel agter. Handig om toue en taai goed te sny.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2247 on: October 04, 2021, 02:01:01 pm »
Van die ander manne kan dalk help. Ek is meer n appel en biltong snyer.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2248 on: October 04, 2021, 02:01:32 pm »
Honey Badger is cheap enough to use as a EDC that is put to work. My one is used as a box cutter and whatever else needs cutting.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 02:02:41 pm by Wayne »
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline johanp

« Reply #2249 on: October 04, 2021, 02:10:01 pm »
It is with some embarrasment that I post this. Around 2000 I spent time as an UN peacekeeping staff member in the DRC. Even though I own (and have owned at the time) multiple supertools of the Leathernan and Gerber (rubbish) multitool persuasion, I decided not to take any of those to an environment where I would really truely deeply depend on the quality of such a tool, I rather went to the Crazy store and bought a R79 cheapy. I drilled holes in walls to hammer in Hiltis with it, I removed and repaired a Nissan Patrol’s radiator, I repaired kit and cut stuff. It is kept in my safe:

Once a while you get a gem, like a no name or unknown.
I have got a SOG multitool that is by far my favourite and carried it in Iraq and Afg for many years
Lost it on n bike trip and found it again…so much sentiment that I have put it in a drawer at hom and will once a while have a look at it only to put it back… sounds stupid right? Same with my 2 x limited edition CRKT knives which was my folders of the time.
I got 2 x Learherman Waves and to me that is the to go to always on my belt, one is new and spare
This year I got the Supertool which fits my work better
Lost it and got a Leatherman Rebar; rubish
I will give that away
Someone else dound my Supertool on a grain train and returned it
Now I got a spare as well because I cannot work without it
My knives this year was mainly all budged to cheap and the only dissapointment was the new M16 CRKT
They have gone South
My biggest surprise which runs a smile of satisfaction is Sitivien flippers with liner lock
Excellent

Have you looked at the Surge yet?

Was in the market for a new leatherman and had a look at the Wave+ and the Surge.
Surge seems stronger, but is also bigger and heaver. The scissors are MUCH nicer.

I've ended up getting the Wave+, but that Surge does seem very nice if you're in the market for a bigger multi tool.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #2250 on: October 04, 2021, 02:31:39 pm »

Gee terug jou man-card asseblief.

:biggrin:

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2251 on: October 04, 2021, 02:42:26 pm »
It is with some embarrasment that I post this. Around 2000 I spent time as an UN peacekeeping staff member in the DRC. Even though I own (and have owned at the time) multiple supertools of the Leathernan and Gerber (rubbish) multitool persuasion, I decided not to take any of those to an environment where I would really truely deeply depend on the quality of such a tool, I rather went to the Crazy store and bought a R79 cheapy. I drilled holes in walls to hammer in Hiltis with it, I removed and repaired a Nissan Patrol’s radiator, I repaired kit and cut stuff. It is kept in my safe:

Once a while you get a gem, like a no name or unknown.
I have got a SOG multitool that is by far my favourite and carried it in Iraq and Afg for many years
Lost it on n bike trip and found it again…so much sentiment that I have put it in a drawer at hom and will once a while have a look at it only to put it back… sounds stupid right? Same with my 2 x limited edition CRKT knives which was my folders of the time.
I got 2 x Learherman Waves and to me that is the to go to always on my belt, one is new and spare
This year I got the Supertool which fits my work better
Lost it and got a Leatherman Rebar; rubish
I will give that away
Someone else dound my Supertool on a grain train and returned it
Now I got a spare as well because I cannot work without it
My knives this year was mainly all budged to cheap and the only dissapointment was the new M16 CRKT
They have gone South
My biggest surprise which runs a smile of satisfaction is Sitivien flippers with liner lock
Excellent

Have you looked at the Surge yet?

Was in the market for a new leatherman and had a look at the Wave+ and the Surge.
Surge seems stronger, but is also bigger and heaver. The scissors are MUCH nicer.

I've ended up getting the Wave+, but that Surge does seem very nice if you're in the market for a bigger multi tool.

I got 2 x Wave +
Got them for $89 here and used them each till end of contract and took home. One in 2019 and one in 2020
2021 decided to go Supertool, perfect for the job and the same price as the Wave+
Got the Rebar when I temporarily lost the Supertool
Surge is $40 more expensive and I work with it by mainly using the pliers and once a while a screw driver or something
Use the ruler often when I adjust drags
The Surge is too fancy for my ‘dirty job’ if that makes sense
Great looking tool though

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2252 on: October 04, 2021, 02:43:26 pm »

Gee terug jou man-card asseblief.

:biggrin:

Fok ek print al my eie man cards die kant :biggrin:

Offline johanp

« Reply #2253 on: October 04, 2021, 02:44:47 pm »

I got 2 x Wave +
Got them for $89 here and used them each till end of contract and took home. One in 2019 and one in 2020
2021 decided to go Supertool, perfect for the job and the same price as the Wave+
Got the Rebar when I temporarily lost the Supertool
Surge is $40 more expensive and I work with it by mainly using the pliers and once a while a screw driver or something
Use the ruler often when I adjust drags
The Surge is too fancy for my ‘dirty job’ if that makes sense
Great looking tool though
Makes sense - the price difference is pretty close here, so it was difficult going for the Wave+ instead when the Surge is actually nicer. Horses for courses I guess.

Sharp Edge seems to be cheapest in SA for what it's worth.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #2254 on: October 04, 2021, 02:47:02 pm »
If one needs a cheap quality knife just for hard work the Honey badger should be 100 persent but I dont like the scales which will collect dirt and grime and that does not work for me since I use my knife for eating as well.
I am overwhelmed by the good quality budged knifes of Sitivien and have both the 102 and 103
Alternate them as Edc
Unbeatable value and D2 is tough and stay sharp for a long time  :3some:

Offline mox

« Reply #2255 on: October 04, 2021, 02:53:08 pm »
@Kaboef

Depends on what you call budget. Below are sub R1k knives

Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2 - Depending on how big a knife you need. Environmental - If you working in humid or damp conditions try get the AUS8 steel - D2 Steel for everything else, just make sure you dry it and wipe clean(I personally have not have problems with D2)

Spyderco Persistence - Its a Spyderco  :biggrin: 8CR13MoV

SOG Aegis FLK - 8Cr13MoV

Honey Badger - growing international fame. D2 steel or 8CR13MoV

(Whilst I have a good few expensive knifes I constantly am reminded how good the Rats and the Badgers are when they find their wat into rotation. Well the Rat 2 is almost always in my pocket either as primary or secondary)

It's difficult not knowing the tasks you perform and your personal preferences. Maybe do some youtubing on the above knives and see what else pops up and see if they what you like is available locally. Then ask what we think  :biggrin:

You may think of upping your budget for something nicer as well.

Yopu can even look at the Byrd knives - The budget line of Spyderco (sub-Company) - They should have a frame lock or liner lock

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 03:00:20 pm by mox »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, johanp

Offline johanp

« Reply #2256 on: October 04, 2021, 03:03:56 pm »
@Kaboef

Depends on what you call budget. Below are sub R1k knives

Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2 - Depending on how big a knife you need. Environmental - If you working in humid or damp conditions try get the AUS8 steel - D2 Steel for everything else, just make sure you dry it and wipe clean(I personally have not have problems with D2)

Spyderco Persistence - Its a Spyderco  :biggrin: 8CR13MoV

SOG Aegis FLK - 8Cr13MoV

Honey Badger - growing international fame. D2 steel or 8CR13MoV

(Whilst I have a good few expensive knifes I constantly am reminded how good the Rats and the Badgers are when they find their wat into rotation. Well the Rat 2 is almost always in my pocket either as primary or secondary)

It's difficult not knowing the tasks you perform and your personal preferences. Maybe do some youtubing on the above knives and see what else pops up and see if they what you like is available locally. Then ask what we think  :biggrin:

You may think of upping your budget for something nicer as well.

Yopu can even look at the Byrd knives - The budget line of Spyderco (sub-Company) - They should have a frame lock or liner lock
I have to agree - if I could only have one "hard working budget" knife, then the Rat would be it. Just watch out for the fakes.
Honey badger is okay, but I'm not convinced that ballbearings are the best for dirty environments.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline mox

« Reply #2257 on: October 04, 2021, 03:19:45 pm »
Oh you can also have a look at the Kershaw Cryo with G-10 scale and 8Cr13MoV Steel. Just above R1k
It may be a bit small at 16.5 cm depending on your preference .

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2258 on: October 04, 2021, 03:27:54 pm »
He wants a half serrated blade. I am not sure where to go with that.

Offline mox

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 04:13:26 pm by mox »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef