Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts  (Read 18403 times)

Offline armpump

Re: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts
« Reply #820 on: April 26, 2020, 06:22:22 pm »
Any Owen Wood knifes in collections chaps ?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #821 on: April 26, 2020, 06:44:51 pm »
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline shark_za

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #822 on: April 26, 2020, 06:49:50 pm »
Very light duty knife this, check the size of the pivot pin and the steel is the usual 0.5% Carbon Stainless they use on the Swiss Armys.

What is going to be a cool knife is the Farmer X when it lands later this year.

Offline shark_za

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #823 on: April 26, 2020, 06:52:23 pm »
I always carry a Pioneer X with me, while other knives change often you will usually find this in my pocket along with the Fenix light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wayne

« Reply #824 on: April 26, 2020, 07:03:21 pm »
That Farmer X is really nice!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #825 on: April 26, 2020, 07:20:41 pm »
@Hardy de Kock D2 is a great steel and gets real sharp and holds its edge rather well but for a hard used EDC I find it PITA to maintain and keep it sharp the way I like a knife to be. It takes longer to resharpen than 8Cr.
Yes you cannot compare the steels but when looking for bang for buck on a hard used EDC I choose the cheaper option.
D2 and better steels I reserve for knives that I will use but would still like to pass down to my son and daughter one day.
Ps I always carry at least two EDC's. One nice one and one cheaper nice one  :lol8:
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #826 on: April 26, 2020, 08:03:35 pm »
KilRoy this one?

http://www.awesometools.co.za/product/no-9-diy-stainless/

Wayne you joking  :lol8: but coming here I thought I'll bring a cheap knife for a starter knowing that I will buy me some proper knife like a CRKT or the likes at some stage. Well, I still haven't decided on a 'proper' daily knife since my cheap Opinel which is in daily use (sometimes abuse, not proper use....using it to prey open some plugged items) it still goes strong and easy to live and hard to ignore......best of all, since I am not yet good at honing knifes and get frustrated with my lansky this one only gets pulled through a very mark sharpener and holds that edge remarkably long :3some:

Online Hardy de Kock

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #827 on: April 26, 2020, 09:22:01 pm »
KilRoy this one?

Wayne you joking  :lol8: but coming here I thought I'll bring a cheap knife for a starter knowing that I will buy me some proper knife like a CRKT or the likes at some stage. Well, I still haven't decided on a 'proper' daily knife since my cheap Opinel which is in daily use (sometimes abuse, not proper use....using it to prey open some plugged items) it still goes strong and easy to live and hard to ignore......best of all, since I am not yet good at honing knifes and get frustrated with my lansky this one only gets pulled through a very mark sharpener and holds that edge remarkably long :3some:

Tom - what is it that frustrates you about the Lansky?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #828 on: April 26, 2020, 11:10:07 pm »
KilRoy this one?

Hardy maybe I am not using the correct technique, I dont know but i fail with my results.
The L wire that you attach to the stone....well if you put it in one of the slots it still have play and it seems you need to constantly put slight downward pressure on it.....maybe if someone show me oneday I'll get it right.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #829 on: April 27, 2020, 04:16:47 am »
KilRoy this one?

Hardy maybe I am not using the correct technique, I dont know but i fail with my results.
The L wire that you attach to the stone....well if you put it in one of the slots it still have play and it seems you need to constantly put slight downward pressure on it.....maybe if someone show me oneday I'll get it right.

If you come past here on your way home in November / December I'll show you  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Hardy de Kock

• De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #830 on: April 27, 2020, 04:28:36 am »
Tom
Make sure you have the steel rod in the right way (placed on a table, the stone and the long section of the rod must be horizontal)
Work towards you and not away from you with very slight pressure - In other word use pulling strokes and not pushing strokes.
The downward pressure that you rightfully mention is to avoid any play in the degree slot - and yes you must do it that way.
Remember to use the honing oil on all the stones. It is also important to make sure you left enough blade space when clamping the knife, in order to avoid the stones catching the  clamps.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #831 on: April 27, 2020, 05:16:40 am »
Tom
Make sure you have the steel rod in the right way (placed on a table, the stone and the long section of the rod must be horizontal)
Work towards you and not away from you with very slight pressure - In other word use pulling strokes and not pushing strokes.
The downward pressure that you rightfully mention is to avoid any play in the degree slot - and yes you must do it that way.
Remember to use the honing oil on all the stones. It is also important to make sure you left enough blade space when clamping the knife, in order to avoid the stones catching the  clamps.

Use very slight pressure as Hardy said, At 1st I also made the mistake by using to much pressure.   :thumleft:

I only use the honing oil to "clean" the stones though.  Hardy, do you suggest you use the oil while sharpening the blade?

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Online Hardy de Kock

• De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #832 on: April 27, 2020, 08:28:18 am »
This was done with a Lansky on CPM S30V
I used oil on each stone

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #833 on: April 27, 2020, 09:01:52 am »
Dont worry Tom, i find working with the Lansky also frustrating. I dont have the patience and dislike repetitive tasks.  That blade buddy machine is probably and overkill for my use, but damn, so convenient.  I sharpened all my knifes (about 12), my kichen knives - another 12 plus, the axes and some garden tools andc2 scissors in about a hour, maybe 90min.  Was great

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #834 on: April 27, 2020, 09:08:34 am »
No, im not looking at scoring a knife from you, but thanks for the offer. Just trying to pick your brain and have the discussion. Maybe people think that girl knives must be small, but in my experience my wife certainly wants a proper tool rather than a dinky toy. (Ok, that may have come out wrong). Shes a DIYer and gardener. Her tools work
She canít be too fussy - She married you?

Very discerning, excellent taste, high standards... :imaposer:

Unlike me, shes not shy to use and abuse a tool.  So the catch is, something she can really use, but not too big, the werfdiere dont carry belts, so was thinking of something which can carry around the neck.  Must to be too heavy and big.  Either a knifecwith 2 screw drivers or a multitool.  We will appreciate the pliers, but not the other 4000 tools which never gets used. Medium size, but with sturdy tools. As i said, she abuse tools, so not top end stuff. (Yes I know  :biggrin:)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #835 on: April 27, 2020, 09:09:58 am »

This looks promising...thanks okes.  Sturdy?

Can it take a lanyard?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #836 on: April 27, 2020, 10:33:25 am »
I find the Lansky works better when you place it on its stand. A friend made me one. Basically just a upright shaft mounted onto a base. The shaft goes through that hole in the clamp.
But I find it time consuming and fiddly so I mostly use the Warthog sharpener.l

Offline express

« Reply #837 on: April 27, 2020, 01:48:30 pm »
So paar van myne

Offline Wayne

« Reply #838 on: April 27, 2020, 01:53:50 pm »
@Hardy de Kock I am curious, what is the reason that you do not use Swiss Army knives?

Online Hardy de Kock

• De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #839 on: April 27, 2020, 02:22:07 pm »
@Hardy de Kock I am curious, what is the reason that you do not use Swiss Army knives?

Pliers - nothing else as I do think they are wonderful tools