Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts  (Read 72828 times)

Offline mox

Re: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts
« Reply #2140 on: September 10, 2021, 01:55:44 pm »
I know that not many will like a folder this size bit I have finally found what I was looking for.
A knife for the agricultural worker.
I just love it and it is my new EDC

And I got my friend and my son’s knives as well today 8)
Very nice, I don't think people realize just how big they are.
Mine came extremely sharp from the factory, I'm assuming yours as well?

Yes sir, once the blade was open it immediately was tested on my leg and I lost yet another patch of hair  :lol8: :lol8:

:imaposer:

I need hair growth tonic :imaposer: , sometimes I look like sphynx cat

Offline johanp

« Reply #2141 on: September 10, 2021, 02:05:17 pm »
I know that not many will like a folder this size bit I have finally found what I was looking for.
A knife for the agricultural worker.
I just love it and it is my new EDC

And I got my friend and my son’s knives as well today 8)
Very nice, I don't think people realize just how big they are.
Mine came extremely sharp from the factory, I'm assuming yours as well?

Yes sir, once the blade was open it immediately was tested on my leg and I lost yet another patch of hair  :lol8: :lol8:

Haha as we do.  :biggrin:
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #2142 on: September 11, 2021, 01:43:57 am »
One of my favourites, the Spydiechef in LC200N. Rustproof goodness. It’s also a very easy steel to sharpen.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 07:04:11 am by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #2143 on: September 11, 2021, 01:30:21 pm »
That is another Spyderco i would love to own.
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #2144 on: September 12, 2021, 01:58:55 pm »
I’m on record that I like old fashioned pocket knives with wood handles. Thought I would collect all the Okapis from the various cars and get everything together at one place - which happened to be the sheet over my workshop bakkie’s bonnet😵

So, an Old Bear, 2 MAMs, a couple of opinels and a brace of Okapis below

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, johanp

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #2145 on: September 12, 2021, 02:02:31 pm »
Some of the more interesting Opinels:
 An olive and a walnut No8 and a display only No7, which I conned from a salesman in Swakopmund. It is stamped "Sample Not for Sale" or suchlike, but in French.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:00:40 pm by Bill the Bong »

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #2146 on: September 12, 2021, 02:05:50 pm »
This No9 started as an oyster shukking knife, but I thought I’d put an edge on it. Unfortunately the blade is so thick that the edge is rather chisel like, but it cuts well enough. I use it often. I don’t have a need to cut apples, as I have all my teeth, but it will cut other stuff

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
« Reply #2147 on: September 12, 2021, 02:10:01 pm »
Just a note on the Okapis: I like them well enough and have some in every car. I mod the pull ring version by shaving down the serrations and then cut down the pull tab. You can then open and close it by pulling the blade rather than the hand granade pin. Its worthwile to me as I like the size of the handle and blade
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:10:31 pm by Bill the Bong »

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2148 on: September 12, 2021, 04:05:44 pm »
The MAM has become my steak eating knife.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline mox

« Reply #2149 on: September 13, 2021, 03:08:09 pm »
CRK Sebenza 31 - Plain Jane

BLADE
•   Material: CPM S35VN at 59-60 RC
•   Length: 3.61" (91.69mm)
•   Thickness: 0.12" (3.07mm)
HANDLE
•  Material: Titanium 6Al4V

OVERALL
•   Length: 8.40" (213.36mm)
•   Weight: 4.7oz (133g)

I wont elaborate too much on the knife itself, it is what most of the world says it is. It's Build quality is spectacular and it's simplicity means it just works as intended.

I do have a gripe though and it seems every now and then CRK turns out some knifes that are stiff as hell! My Sebensa was probably meant for a super hero with unrivaled strength and healing capabilities powered by the sun.
Don't get me wrong, to was super smooth but unimaginably stiff. After 4 days of constantly fidgeting with it in the hope it would break-in I decided to strip the knife give it a good clean and re-grease (less is more, according to Tim Reeve). Did this help, not at all and I decided to carry on fidgeting and after the first week I had a bruised and blistered thumb (insert ''idiot" here)
Stripped the knife again, cleaned it and used some KPL pivot lube instead of the grease provided by CRK. This helped a little but unless I miraculously became the son of
Jor-El there is no way this knife was going to open easily for me as it was.
I became despondent and was really not enjoying what the internet hails as one of the best if not the best and proven knife on the market today. Something was off.

I stripped it numerous times more, cleaned and reapplied the ''correct'' amount of grease yet nothing changed. I was ready to bottom draw the knife.

I then had a thought, maybe just maybe something was out of spec. I stripped the knife took a look at the washers and got out my vernier, the front washer was 0.43 mm and the rear washer was 0.41 mm. I figured that the washers should be the same thickness and decided to to thin the front washer  by 0.01mm at a time just to be safe that I did not end up with blade play. So with matching washer thickness. I polished the blade facing sides of the washers to a mirror finish and reassembled the knife.

What a difference! I at last had a very functional Sebenza.
I don't recommend doing this. If you screw it up you will be sending your knife back to CRK at a hefty cost if you ware not in the USA and then you will be waiting a while for its return.

The other thing that bugs me is the lanyard pin, if you have taken the lanyard off and you still want the pin in there be prepared for an annoying rattle. So for now the lanyard stays put. The only lanyard on any of my knives.

It is not that racy blonde that you had an encounter with in your mid-twenties.
It is an exceptional knife although a very frustrating beginning. Its a lifelong companion ,plain, reliable and will probably never falter.

...and that is the beauty of knives, they wont complain if you bench them and take another out for a day or for a week.
The Sebenza 31 Large will definitely be in my EDC rotation.

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline mox

« Reply #2150 on: September 13, 2021, 03:10:12 pm »
Nice @Bill the Bong

I still need to get a MAM or two.

Offline johanp

« Reply #2151 on: September 13, 2021, 03:14:29 pm »
CRK Sebenza 31 - Plain Jane

BLADE
•   Material: CPM S35VN at 59-60 RC
•   Length: 3.61" (91.69mm)
•   Thickness: 0.12" (3.07mm)
HANDLE
•  Material: Titanium 6Al4V

OVERALL
•   Length: 8.40" (213.36mm)
•   Weight: 4.7oz (133g)

I wont elaborate too much on the knife itself, it is what most of the world says it is. It's Build quality is spectacular and it's simplicity means it just works as intended.

I do have a gripe though and it seems every now and then CRK turns out some knifes that are stiff as hell! My Sebensa was probably meant for a super hero with unrivaled strength and healing capabilities powered by the sun.
Don't get me wrong, to was super smooth but unimaginably stiff. After 4 days of constantly fidgeting with it in the hope it would break-in I decided to strip the knife give it a good clean and re-grease (less is more, according to Tim Reeve). Did this help, not at all and I decided to carry on fidgeting and after the first week I had a bruised and blistered thumb (insert ''idiot" here)
Stripped the knife again, cleaned it and used some KPL pivot lube instead of the grease provided by CRK. This helped a little but unless I miraculously became the son of
Jor-El there is no way this knife was going to open easily for me as it was.
I became despondent and was really not enjoying what the internet hails as one of the best if not the best and proven knife on the market today. Something was off.

I stripped it numerous times more, cleaned and reapplied the ''correct'' amount of grease yet nothing changed. I was ready to bottom draw the knife.

I then had a thought, maybe just maybe something was out of spec. I stripped the knife took a look at the washers and got out my vernier, the front washer was 0.43 mm and the rear washer was 0.41 mm. I figured that the washers should be the same thickness and decided to to thin the front washer  by 0.01mm at a time just to be safe that I did not end up with blade play. So with matching washer thickness. I polished the blade facing sides of the washers to a mirror finish and reassembled the knife.

What a difference! I at last had a very functional Sebenza.
I don't recommend doing this. If you screw it up you will be sending your knife back to CRK at a hefty cost if you ware not in the USA and then you will be waiting a while for its return.

The other thing that bugs me is the lanyard pin, if you have taken the lanyard off and you still want the pin in there be prepared for an annoying rattle. So for now the lanyard stays put. The only lanyard on any of my knives.

It is not that racy blonde that you had an encounter with in your mid-twenties.
It is an exceptional knife although a very frustrating beginning. Its a lifelong companion ,plain, reliable and will probably never falter.

...and that is the beauty of knives, they wont complain if you bench them and take another out for a day or for a week.
The Sebenza 31 Large will definitely be in my EDC rotation.
Glad you got it sorted. Some like it, some don't but I love the fact that you can adjust the Inkosi's pivot to your liking.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2152 on: September 13, 2021, 04:04:51 pm »
@mox I spent weeks trying to get mine to loosen up until i found the solution.

Take apart the knife. Clean all the goodies. Grease it with Uncle Chris' grease.
Then put the handle together. Lightly tighten the screws on the handle.
Now put the washer and grease. Slide the blade into position and install the pivot screw.
Now remove the handle screws one by one and apply the Loctite. Put the handle screws back in with Loctite. Very gently tighten the handle screws. Almost with your pinky only. The knife is held together by Loctite. There is no need to torque the crap out of it.
Now do the same to the pivot screw. Apply Loctite and very lightly tighten the screw.

Knife will be smooth as butter. With no play. The assholes at the factory over tighten it.

I got a feeling they oversize those washers by a 10th of a ballhair for a reason to make it be playless for longer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:07:51 pm by Captain Zef »
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2153 on: September 13, 2021, 06:32:27 pm »
For the guys that may consider a Buck 110.
It is just as ai said an amazing blade but is is huge.
Big handle with almost 4 inch blade, hence the marketing as a hunters folder.

I did a little research and found the exact knife made smaller, also with the option to laser engrave something on the wood in the handle.
It is called the Buck 112 Ranger
So I want to carry that knife as Edc and ordered one for both me and my son - he is also farming.

Then the mini sheepdog came and since I remove everything from the packaging before putting into my check in luggage bag I had a good look at it and wow  :drif:
I just want to need one, my hands are obviously much smaller than Cappie’s hands

So ok that should be my last knife shopping  :biggrin:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2154 on: September 13, 2021, 06:52:54 pm »
Hehehe these 3 inch knives feel like tooth picks to me lol

The 4 inch buck will work for me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:53:17 pm by Captain Zef »

Offline mox

« Reply #2155 on: September 13, 2021, 08:03:13 pm »
@Captain Zef yes I did try that a couple of times. Every time it was the same result and probably a little stiffer. The grease needs some work to get to optimal but the problem is certainly the thickness of the wshers. I have spoken to a few people that had issues and it took them months to break in the knives. I asked them to measure the washers and they were all out of spec to eachother (back and front). A buddy of mine has one that came near perfect from the factory and his washers match perfectly.

So as good as CRK are I think they may have some inconsistencies in the washer department. Only my opinion. If they do oversize the washers purposely maybe there are some tolerance issues. Time will tell with mine but I don't think so. It was a frustrating experience.

@Tom van Brits if I ever buy another Buck it will definitely be one of the older style knives the Rangers and Hunters are fantastic knives, the more modern ones are just okay, all three of the Spitfires I ordered custom for my twins and myself came with inconsistencies to eachother, not in look and feel but in operation.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2156 on: September 13, 2021, 08:39:58 pm »
I think taking material off the thicker washer is ok. Glad you got it sorted.

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2157 on: September 13, 2021, 09:10:56 pm »
If you buy a world class quality knife as per CR at a premium price, moding it to perfection is not on.

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2158 on: September 13, 2021, 09:14:49 pm »
If you buy a world class quality knife as per CR at a premium price, moding it to perfection is not on.

Yes agreed he should have sent it back but as already mentioned its expensive to send from SA. Covid has got the locals over here very lazy and slack. I am guessing they are slipping one or two tight ones every now and then. I would write them a mail though if it was my knife.

The washer selection is a purely manual operation. So if the person that day was not up for work they could have screwed it up.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:17:13 pm by Captain Zef »

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2159 on: September 13, 2021, 09:28:27 pm »

Yes agreed he should have sent it back but as already mentioned its expensive to send from SA. Covid has got the locals over here very lazy and slack. I am guessing they are slipping one or two tight ones every now and then. I would write them a mail though if it was my knife.

The washer selection is a purely manual operation. So if the person that day was not up for work they could have screwed it up.

agree, but seems quality control has had no feature. If you sell quality, quality control is more important than premium manufacturing. coming from a bean counter :peepwall:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:29:17 pm by heinzz »