Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts  (Read 82897 times)

Offline johanp

Re: Folding knives & fixed blades - a thread for the enthusiasts
« Reply #2280 on: October 06, 2021, 12:23:10 pm »
Gentlemen's carry today just for @Kaboef    :imaposer:
Thatís pretty. Iím still carrying an Elementum so I canít really play along.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #2281 on: October 06, 2021, 03:39:09 pm »
@ Kaboef

CRKT M21-14G 50/50

R1200 from Sharp Edge. Had mine for a few months now. Not a fan of the Veff serrations as they are a bit brittle but settle in eventually and cut very well. Straight edge very easy to sharpen on a Lansky
Pass this way once!

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #2282 on: October 06, 2021, 04:16:36 pm »
I sharpen the entire blade like I would with a non serrated blade.  Those little edges become razor sharp just like the first day.
Stroom op!

The following users thanked this post: Battlestar

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2283 on: October 07, 2021, 04:59:49 am »
I have changed my mind completely about D2 steel.
It is excellent, and stays sharp long.
I have cut a couple of 4 feet conveyer belt strips today with my Sitivien 103 and just had it on the leather strop.
It is razor sharp.
I am impressed.

The following users thanked this post: johanp, Andrew_Smith

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #2284 on: October 07, 2021, 07:08:46 am »
@Tom van Brits i think D2 is made to be used like you are doing over there. Thats why it should not really be used on collectors knives. Then it rusts. It was the worst steel for the Civivi Rustic Gent. It rusted in its slip. By rust i mean the blade picked up a brown patina.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:11:51 am by Captain Zef »
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline mox

« Reply #2285 on: October 07, 2021, 07:50:20 am »
Not to start a war over D2 but I have had no such problems.
D2 is a tool steel and has a high carbon content - it is considered a semi-stainless( though there is no such thing)

Some more reading other than I have already posted https://polishcustomknives.com/blog/rusting-steel-and-stainless-steel.html

D2 can rust or gain a patina but it is resistant. As I have said I have never had such problems and I wonder if sometimes it is the actual manufacture of the steel that brings up the issue.

As I have said before, I simply wipe the blade clean and make sure it is dry. You can see here even the tang is still clean and shiny without patina and I cant get in there.

If I intend to shelve a knife (any steel) for a while I will wipe it down with a rag that sits in the storage cupboard that has all manner of lubricants on it from W40, mineral oil and some pivot oil(not a special formula, just too lazy to have a clean rag for this purpose  :lol8:) More often than not I have knifes all over the place that I have misplaced ( cubby hole, various tool boxes, drawers at the office etc) and the knives often do not get that treatment. D2 has always been fine.

Note:( if I lived by the coast with high humidity I would definitely be a little more careful though.

On the Civivi D2 steels, perhaps it was the source of the steel? Not all steels are made even and certainly if they come from different manufacturers.

D2 is an extremely good working steel, it's what it was designed for many moons ago and makes sense on a hard use knife. (not marine obviously  :biggrin:)

Already supplied: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/11/05/all-about-d2-steel-knives/

SOme other technical info and reading : https://materials-today.com/d2-steel-hardness-composition-properties/

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:52:29 am by mox »

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2286 on: October 07, 2021, 08:40:56 am »
All of my knives are completely rust free. I don't oil them. Some of them are 15 years old. Only my D2 blade rusted lol
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline mox

« Reply #2287 on: October 07, 2021, 08:42:52 am »
All of my knives are completely rust free. I don't oil them. Some of them are 15 years old. Only my D2 blade rusted lol

Yes, because it is not stainless and your others probably are. Oh and even stainless can rust and patina  :pot:

Offline johanp

« Reply #2288 on: October 07, 2021, 09:43:22 am »
Not to start a war over D2 but I have had no such problems.

Ditto. I've lost count, but I've probably got 10 Civivi knives in D2 - not a single spot of rust on any of them, or any of my other D2 knives. Ever.

If you store a knife in a leather sheath, then you should expect rust.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2289 on: October 07, 2021, 10:20:33 am »
I was just stirring the pot boys.  :lol8:

Edc for the day.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, johanp, Andrew_Smith

Offline johanp

« Reply #2290 on: October 07, 2021, 10:35:44 am »
This annoys me a bit. So I've bought a Wave+. It came in a box with a nylon pouch. Nice.

Then I bought the bit drivers, but this doesn't fit in the supplied pouch. Now you have to spend another R500 odd for a very similar pouch.
I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway - why not simply include the proper pouch from the beginning? 

After all of that, it only fits one of the bit kits, so you have to fill that one with all the bits you reckon you'd be needing on the go.

There is also the issue of Awesometools changing their warranty policy - it's not "no questions asked" anymore. They will sharpen and service it for you, but the warranty only covers factory defects now.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #2291 on: October 07, 2021, 12:22:53 pm »
Not cool

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2292 on: October 07, 2021, 01:24:29 pm »
This annoys me a bit. So I've bought a Wave+. It came in a box with a nylon pouch. Nice.

Then I bought the bit drivers, but this doesn't fit in the supplied pouch. Now you have to spend another R500 odd for a very similar pouch.
I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway - why not simply include the proper pouch from the beginning? 

After all of that, it only fits one of the bit kits, so you have to fill that one with all the bits you reckon you'd be needing on the go.

There is also the issue of Awesometools changing their warranty policy - it's not "no questions asked" anymore. They will sharpen and service it for you, but the warranty only covers factory defects now.

Not so in the States
Here no questions ask exchange
I have done it with one of my waves

Unfortunately what I was told in SA a few years back already is that people will deal with Leatherman tools and each and every secondhand tool will be sent in for service or replacement (same persons) which they then put up for sale.
Hence the limited warrantee in SA.
Simply and sadly abused and I do not fault them for this since the product is not so well represented in SA.
Agree on the pouch though, that is bs.
Get the pouches here for $20
Some prices in SA is ridiculous
Bought a Stanley french press for $21 yesterday online, and at Cape Union Mart in SA they are R900!!
Bringing one for a friend as well.

The following users thanked this post: Battlestar, johanp

Offline johanp

« Reply #2293 on: October 07, 2021, 01:28:23 pm »

Not so in the States

Unfortunately what I was told in SA a few years back already is that people will deal with Leatherman tools and each and every secondhand tool will be sent in for service or replacement (same persons) which they then put up for sale.
Simply and sadly abused and I do not fault them for this since the product is not so well represented in SA.
Bought a Stanley french press for $21 yesterday online, and at Cape Union Mart in SA they are R900!!
Yep, they did basically say it was because of abuse. At the very least they could have limited the "no questions asked" to customers with receipts, then you could at least not buy a 2nd hand one, send in and resell.

Th prices here are crazy, I've seen this same pouch for $15, so I'm not sure how it ended up at R500. A Wave+ is R2500 on average. R2200 if you shop around a bit.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline heinzz

« Reply #2294 on: October 07, 2021, 01:51:52 pm »

Not so in the States

Yep, they did basically say it was because of abuse. At the very least they could have limited the "no questions asked" to customers with receipts, then you could at least not buy a 2nd hand one, send in and resell.

Th prices here are crazy, I've seen this same pouch for $15, so I'm not sure how it ended up at R500. A Wave+ is R2500 on average. R2200 if you shop around a bit.
Go to Outdoor warehouse. R299 No name pouch R50
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:54:14 pm by heinzz »

Offline johanp

« Reply #2295 on: October 07, 2021, 02:14:23 pm »

Not so in the States

Go to Outdoor warehouse. R299 No name pouch R50
I did - the R299 is for the same one that came with the Wave. Didn't see the no name one, but it needs to specifically have space for the bit kit.
Already bought from another shop. Pretty much a grudge purchase.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:15:06 pm by johanp »
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #2296 on: October 07, 2021, 02:15:52 pm »
Jy ry mos 'n GS, jyt nie eers nodig om die Wave saam te sleep nie, nie te min die bits :deal:
Stroom op!

Offline johanp

« Reply #2297 on: October 07, 2021, 02:27:40 pm »
Jy ry mos 'n GS, jyt nie eers nodig om die Wave saam te sleep nie, nie te min die bits :deal:

Ook waar.  :laughing4:
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2298 on: October 07, 2021, 05:42:43 pm »

Not so in the States

And here the Wave+ is $89
Around R1400
Pouches (genuine) are $15 to $20

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #2299 on: October 08, 2021, 09:17:47 am »
Guys I'm struggling to bond with my CRKT and almost about to pull the trigger on a new Spyderco Endura. Man this knife thing is an illness.
Pass this way once!