Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: African or international work photo's.  (Read 8644 times)

Offline dw1

Re: African or international work photo's.
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2020, 06:35:52 pm »
Sailing past Krakatoa - site of massive outburst and tsunami in early 1900s
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline JABO

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Centurion
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2020, 09:06:17 am »
Some Anti Ram Gates and fence Pre Testing for installation in Abu Dhabi 2014

What is WRONG in the  last Photo?
Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2020, 11:22:29 am »
No nothing wrong there - by African standards anyway  :imaposer:

Health and safety wouldn't like that huh. The guy supporting the scaffolding is doing so for nothing cos the worker isn't standing on it. The front corner of the pallett is in the air and the guy standing on the pallett is wasting his time. No safety helmets - the list goes on  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2020, 11:42:09 am »

Health and safety wouldn't like that huh. The guy supporting the scaffolding is doing so for nothing cos the worker isn't standing on it. The front corner of the pallett is in the air and the guy standing on the pallett is wasting his time. No safety helmets - the list goes on  :imaposer:
Give them credit only one is standing with his hands on his hips!! :deal: ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline roburt

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2020, 02:15:25 pm »
What you do there Roburt?
Work in IT here... but when you do IT here its becomes everything that uses elictricity including electricity designs :-)
Roburt when you retire will you stay in Tanzania or retire where if your not a Saffer?

Only saw this now :-). At the moment SA still is the place I will retire, most probably somewhere in CPT. Have quite a few friends I met here that's originally from gauteng and are now living in somerset area. SA has its issues, but living in a "real" 3rd  world country opens your eyes of how far SA still needs to go downwards before it even comes close. You do learn to live a lot more minamilistic here, so that helps going down to SA one day again.
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200, KTM 525

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2020, 02:41:35 pm »
@Mr Zog & @Rooikoos , the pics I posted were also at Lumwana, 2012 I think, the drive from Ndola was pure madness.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline Rooikoos

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2020, 03:53:13 pm »
@Mr Zog & @Rooikoos , the pics I posted were also at Lumwana, 2012 I think, the drive from Ndola was pure madness.

That is a horrible road, I've done it a couple of times! Luckily nowadays we fly to Solwezi from Lusaka, then it is only an hour or so to the mine.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2020, 03:40:11 am »

That is a horrible road, I've done it a couple of times! Luckily nowadays we fly to Solwezi from Lusaka, then it is only an hour or so to the mine.

We also used to fly to Solwezi and then just drive an hour to the mine.

But I do remember sitting in the back of an ambulance with a seriously ill patient one night, with a local driver driving hell-for-leather from Lumwana to Ndola. That night my guardian angel worked overtime  :o  (we had to get the patient to the Ndola airport so he could be flown out, Solwezi airport didn't have a night rating at the time)
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline steveindar

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2020, 11:30:39 pm »
Mnt Kilimanjaro at dawn. Flying from Dar es Salaam to Nairobi and then to Jhb.
Totally opposite direction from where I work though. Pics of that later.

Sent from my TECNO CF8 using Tapatalk

COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2020, 03:10:50 am »
Watch a movie called "Last Breath" on Netflix. Give you some ideas of what ita all about.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Watched it last night, brilliant and terrifying!

Looked it up and watched it after seeing this post. Crazy stuff and nerves of steel. Cool documentary.
Time for an Adventure

Offline HB 9

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2020, 08:10:25 am »

"God willing" their motto...
Tread lightly

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2020, 09:18:10 am »
A few shots from the last few years doing geological mapping in Namibia.

1)Pouring over old maps
2)Hiking during a dust/sand storm
3)Sunset after a dust/sand storm
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2020, 09:34:11 am »
a few more. These are from a traverse we did where we had an approx 80km section in the mountains north of the Orange river we had to do in one go on foot as any sort of vehicle access was impossible. Normally we find ways of driving into areas like this using river valleys, not in this case though. That meant hiking for 5 days carrying 25 liters of water per person. I had planned our water consumption such that about mid afternoon on the last day we would run out and then have another 1-2 hours of hiking to get to a bakkie that had been left for us at the other end of our traverse. Knowing the type of terrain well and knowing my team well, this worked out exactly as planned. I should add each of us hiked somewhat over a 100km on this trip as we split up each day with every geologist covering a loop and then meeting up in the evening at a rv point further along. We do however plan the route for each person and we all carry satphones so we know where to go look for someone in case they don't turn up. We also knew that if needed we could hike out from anywhere in the mountains in about a day and a half. This is what I love about my job, H&S in the private industry and mining world would never allow this sort of approach.

1)Hiking into the area through the northern part of the Huns mountains.
2)These limestones have super sharp/abrasive surfaces. They chew up boots. I wear out a pair of boot soles a year in this terrain.
3) Myself and two of the Namibian geologists. Really great guys, hard working and competent.

- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2020, 09:41:50 am »
1) Going down waterfall after waterfall with about 35kg on your back.
2) Luxury accommodation

Getting to do things like this is why I really love my job. Before a field season like this one we train hard, you need to be incredibly fit considering you're not just hiking but actually working along the way taking data points, taking rock samples. As you hike the weight of the water and food you consume is replaced by rock samples. On this specific trip I ended it with a heavier backpack than when I started out. I guesstimated it around 40kg at the end due to rock samples. Fortunately the two Namibian guys are also very fit and we'd worked together a few years already by this point. I did however have two new South African colleagues along as well. Before the trip we told them they need to get fit, they told me afterwards they thought we were joking. In the end all they could do was hike from one camp rendezvous to the next as they were just not fit enough to cover the 15-20km a day and still work. Funny, they never asked to join our team again  :lol8:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:45:31 am by Kortbroek »

The following users thanked this post: Bergie

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2020, 09:42:28 am »
3&4) This is what most of the terrain looked like. Steep scree slopes.

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline windswept

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2020, 09:50:38 am »
Thanks for the photos, but 40kg, wow.  :eek7: :eek7:  :thumleft:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2020, 10:04:57 am »
Thanks for the photos, but 40kg, wow.  :eek7: :eek7:  :thumleft:

I've found it takes me about two days to get used to the weight. On the trip above starting out I would have been around 35+kg: 25 liters of water and I know the rest of my kit is around 12kg. On these trips I go light weight on everything else, tent stays in the bakkie for instance.

What we more commonly try to do is two day hikes, that makes the weight you have to carry much more manageable so you actually get more done in a day. You can see how small the back is on a two day trip as you can get away then with carrying about 8liters of water pp: 3 liters drinking day 1 + 1 liter cooking and coffee/tea at night, 1 liter for breakfast and another 3 liters for day 2.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2020, 10:05:44 am »
e Huns mountains.
2)These limestones have super sharp/abrasive surfaces. They chew up boots. I wear out a pair of boot soles a year in this terrain.

Nou weet ek hoe lyk die Huns berge aan die binnekant het altyd gewonder. Het julle dalk al op die oorsprong van die Huns riviertjie afgekom? Hy het altyd n watertjie in.
Hoeveel wild sien julle in daai berge?

Het jy al Merrell boots probeer Kortbroek?Beste boots wat ek al ooit gedra het en hulle hou.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2020, 10:13:16 am »
e Huns mountains.

Nou weet ek hoe lyk die Huns berge aan die binnekant het altyd gewonder. Het julle dalk al op die oorsprong van die Huns riviertjie afgekom? Hy het altyd n watertjie in.
Hoeveel wild sien julle in daai berge?

Het jy al Merrell boots probeer Kortbroek?Beste boots wat ek al ooit gedra het en hulle hou.

Praat jy nou nie dalk van die Konkiep rivier nie? Jy ry aan die noorde kant van die berge deur 'n driffie van hom wat altyd water het ja. Daai rivier se canyon stroom af is groter as die visrivier canyon maar baie meer afgeleë. Ek sal later paar fotos gou soek wat ek het van hom. Die fotos hier bo is aan die weste kant van die huns berge, die konkiep vallei lę weer aan hulle ooste kant. Nogal interessant, mens kan die konkiep canyon net op twee plekke binne gaan heel in die noorde en dan in die suide van die visrivier af. Dit is so ongeveer 130km tussen die twee punte en reg in die middel lę 'n ou plaas wat net bewoon en geboer was tussen so 1950 en 1975. Kan omtrent nie my indink dat iemand daar sou kon boer nie. Ons is paar jaar terug daar deur met 'n bakkie, nogal 'n bietjie gevat om met 'n voertuig daar deur te kom, maar die afstand was net tę ver om alles te voet te probeer doen.

Jong die merrel's hou nie met die tipe werk nie. Wat sover die beste doen is Boreal and Zanskar. Gewone leer stewels met 'n redelikke harde sool. Dan het ek ook 'n paar La Sportiva tibet's wat nou al op hulle 3'de sole is en die stewels hou nog goed. Ek het 3 pare stewels wat om die beurt elke jaar versool word, die leer hou gelukkig jare.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:13:59 am by Kortbroek »

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2020, 10:16:48 am »
Praat jy nou nie dalk van die Konkiep rivier nie?

Ek kon sweer die driffie wat mens deurry op die Witputspad is die Huns riviertjie ma jy sal beter weet. :thumleft:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za