Swazi Rally 2006

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
The Swazi Rally has been a firm favourite of me since I?ve visited it the first time back in 2000, because it?s well organized, reasonably small and there are lovely roads to ride on the Saturday of the event. This year was no exception. Our plan was to meet at Delmas on Friday morning early, and then take the back roads from there to the Nerston border post and then on to the rally site. Excalibur got a message on the way to the Delmas that his brother had passed away the previous night, (RIP Merash), so he cancelled his participation. I detoured to go past his house in Midrand to express my condolences in person and then headed towards Delmas. Larrysleguana (LL) was waiting patiently for me, but all this meant that our time arrangements had gone for a ball of @#$%. We decided to make hay while the sun was shining, and made fast progress. For some reason it was bitterly cold, to the extent that I had to put on all the t-shirts that I had taken along, and eventually resorted to putting on my rain suite for added protection against the ice bears.
We made a quick stop in Bethal to say Hi to LL?s mother in law, have a quick brandy and coke to start the internal engine and soon we were on our way again.
In Ermelo we stopped at the local Spur for lunch, and started seeing the first other rally go-ers, super bike riders.
We arrived at the Nerston border post at around 15:30 after travelling in rain from Amsterdam.
Sr1.jpg

The weather was threatening, as thick dark blue clouds gathered on our right side, so we wasted very little time, and arrived at the rally site around 16:30.
Sr3.jpg

Sr4.jpg

The rains was just around the corner, and we managed to pitch our tents in the dry, but while I was attaching my flysheet to the tent, all hell broke loose. LL was also done, so we ran for the party hall and had a few cold ones while the heavens opened. This lasted about 30 minutes and stopped just as Derick, Brian and Steve arrived. Soon we were all settled, and started serious partying.
Sr6.jpg

This lasted till the late hours of the morning, but fun was had by all. Saturday morning we roused early, had some coffee and headed out into the country side by 08:00.
Sr10.jpg

Because of the rain the roads was an absolute blast with almost no dust so we had excellent riding conditions.
Sr8.jpg

Sr9.jpg

At our first river crossing I stopped for our traditional ride up the river, the smokers did their thing and soon we were off again. Steve was the last to pull away, and got stuck, but was offered assistance by a local floppy, who then insisted on getting a lift out of the river. Steve thanked him by dropping the bike in the sand, but I tell you that floppy was up in a flash, and for some unknown reason refused any more offerings of a lift.
Sr11.jpg

Sr12.jpg

Sr13.jpg

Sr14.jpg

Sr15.jpg

Sr17.jpg

A few km?s down the road a grader was busy doing it?s thing, so after riding on the loose gravel for a few km?s I stopped to take a photo.
Sr18.jpg

Sr19.jpg

When I wanted to leave that boney of mine was as dead as a mossie. Eventullay after lots of advice from all the mechanics, and a few phone calls we traced the problem to a flat battery! My initial diagnose was a faulty side stand switch, but yes suddenly the battery was flat. I removed the battery, opened the maintenance free unit, only to discover there was zero water in the damn thing.
Sr20.jpg

Filled it up with regular bottled water, and as I put the battery back, the fuel pump kicked in and I knew we were back in business. I push started the bike and we got going again. That was it, no more problems with battery. Strange but true.
Sr22.jpg

Sr23.jpg

Sr24.jpg

Sr25.jpg

Sr26.jpg

Our route took us past the Mnjoli dam, past a few general dealers, and eventually we ended at a bottle store to buy some replenishment for the night?s party.
Sr27.jpg

Sr28.jpg

LL bought a few courts, and we joined the locals who were wasted as hell, but anyhow fun was had.
Sr30.jpg

Sr32.jpg

Sr33.jpg

Sr34.jpg

They don't come any smoother than this....
Sr35.jpg

Not one wheel on this car had more than two wheelnuts...
Sr36.jpg

From there we worked out way towards Manzini, where someone managed to loose the last two riders, but it would appear that Derick was the guilty party.
Sr37.jpg

Sr38.jpg

Normal rally procedure
Sr41.jpg

Steve & Brian thanking me for the days ride
Sr42.jpg

Few members of our rainbow nation with LL
Sr43.jpg

Sr44.jpg

We arrived back at the campsite at about 15:30, so the guys could watch the boks loose AGAIN!
First time I?ve seen a MZ motorbike
Sr45.jpg

We had covered almost 300 km?s and had lots of fun.
Sr46.jpg

Sr47.jpg

Thanks to all who joined. Next year we do it all over again. Then we?ll explore the region towards the south of the rally site.

:lol: :lol: :lol: