Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Quest (...choosing a "partner")  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Persona non Grata
Re: The Quest
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 01:04:43 pm »
Andre: Agreed, but it would be interesting what the bike of choice is for a solo trip through Africa. I personally know three who has done it on a 640.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:07:12 pm by Jonix »

Offline Lunar

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:35 pm »
Jonix please continue
Rolling rock can't turn Green!

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 03:04:36 pm »
990 Adventure

Face Value: The rack on this baby is alive with passion, promise and orange - it might not be your preferred hair colour, but it will sure catch your eye.

On the Dance Floor: She is the Ginger Rogers (dance partner of Fred Astaire) of the dance analogy and I am yet to find someone who disagrees.

The Dirty Weekend: This is an exhilarating, adrenalin rush of note and the constant float of the back wheel at the slightest twist of the wrist is enough to keep you honest. The right size front wheel, power to weight plus bore to stroke ratio gives you something to play right through all the positions in the Karma Sutra. She is not only a lady who is comfortable with a steady cruise, but what she really fancies is to be handled at high revs and using all the gears. Threesomes are well recommended! The only downside would be her very active libido (read throttle), that could catch you off guard when least expected and could be responsible for embarrassing moments when negotiating highly technical terrain. This little defect (some might call it a bonus) can be rectified with a little cosmetic procedure that should not cost you more than R1000.

Conclusion: This is a Class A drug and if you do not intend on parting with your cash and struggle with a live-long addiction, don’t even take her on the dance floor!
She is shortlisted!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:16:09 pm by Jonix »

Offline Misty

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • BMW650GS - DR650 - Triumph Scrambler 900 - BMW650G
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 03:10:10 pm »
hmm... ok 2 on the shortlist... so far...
Embrace change, you only have one life, and it's so short!

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 03:14:11 pm »
990 Adventure S

Not much more can be said about the 990 Adventure S, as it is in essense a 990 without ABS, a different colour scheme, different seat and longer legs!

She is shortlisted!

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 03:34:58 pm »
Done with KTM, I am off to Honda. Unfortunately, I could not find anything that tickled my fancy as far as my prerequisites are concerned in terms of sex-appeal, adventure and fun factor. The likes of the XL700V Transalp and XL1000V Varadero might be show you a nice time in the city, but they are in my opinion quite wrong for adventure riding in seat height, ground clearance, front wheel size etc.

Sorry....

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2008, 03:43:39 pm »
Michnus: You would think that the mere participation in the Paris Dakar is classed as "hard-core adventure in remote areas" - no more research needed! :biggrin:

Like you told me assumption is the..........

That is all marketing hype my friend and you fell for it hook line and sinker. The bikes get rebuild everyday, sort off, they have back up crews, a sweeper to fetch bikes and and. I am sure you watched the Dakar? I still insist you do some research.  ;)

This is a serious bike made for the serious individual (doctors, lawyers and forum moderators) and with long distance travel in mind. She certainly has the looks ?? I recon if God had to make a bike (from a Kawa sparkplug or something), this is what it will look like. This is the Harley Davidson of Adventure Bikes and in my mind to serious and just not enough fun ?? maybe when I am retired and have lost my sense of humour. Not my choice!

This besides my dog dying, turns me into tears. Classifying and judging people by what they ride. And I must really question whether you actually rode this bike, not around the block but actually spend some time on any of them? I know many people riding GSA'a and not one of them fit the description you gave, which just tell me you either incredibly jealous or got a bit of a mean streak to you.

Assumption is the.......... ;)

BTW first do tell what is your perception of adventure biking?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:48:00 pm by michnus »

Disselboom

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2008, 03:45:41 pm »
Is jy nogie bash toe nie boetie?Wanneer ry jy?

Sorry for jack

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »
more oggend vroeg.  sabenza, soos n myn werker.  >:( :patch:  :biggrin:

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 03:53:44 pm »
Off to Triumph. Believe me, I so desperately wanted to do a review on the Triumph. What more do want: the legend of Steve Mcqueen in the Great Escape on the Triumph scrambler, a girl called Tiger and the same name as a lingerie. It is all there on paper! Unfortunately there was nothing to be found in the true adventure category, but hey feats on this:

Not sure if this is allowed
http://www.britishlingerie.co.uk/custom/triumph_aw_phixr.jpg

This was a bit confusing ?? a call to boycott Triumph?
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/images/1028-03.jpg

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2008, 04:09:55 pm »
 :laughing4: As I said: This is a serious bike made for the serious individual (doctors, lawyers and forum moderators) - point proven!

Michnus: These are merely my findings through personal experience. You obviously disagree - good.

My comment about (doctors, lawyers and forum moderators) is called satire - I apologise if you are offended by it. ???

My definition of Adventure biking: your trip through Angola will be a very good example. Respect! :thumleft:

Now you tell me (the one with the research): What is the current bike of choice is for a solo trip through Africa. I personally know three who has done it on a 640.

Disselboom

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2008, 04:16:19 pm »
I suspect there has been more XT's and KLR's through Africa than most bikes.The true adventurer though, will take his personal choice in bike anywhere, as demonstrated by ride reports on this forum.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2008, 04:31:18 pm »
Jonix, give me more credit than that please, the mod thing was not the reason, so no not offended at all. ;) :)  The lawyer, doctor thing is what you always hear when people talk about the GSa owners and it's so far removed from the truth.

For a Africa trip, take a Versys, a Honda Varadero just don't overload the thing. Not that I have been there. it's really not hardcore anymore judging the reports I have read so far. It's a highway up there, a KLR did it in what 35 days?

If you say Africa trip up the West coast through Angola Gabon, Congo or just stay of the highway, most probably a 200cc 250cc,even a Djebel very light, cheap to fix and in most African countries those bikes are plenty so most of the locals can fix the bike. If something seriously goes wrong, donate the bike to a village and fly home, or taxi home.  :biggrin: ;)

I will even take my Dakar, they are really reliable bikes. Most trips like that is about NOT going Dakar Race ready style, you have to ride slower, the bike is the only transport you have, take it easy.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:32:45 pm by michnus »

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 04:46:18 pm »
Allow me to take you back to the beginning of this thread. This thread is my quest to find the ideal bike for me. I have spent many a sentence in explaining that it is a personal choice in the same way that somebody chooses a life partner. My views and findings are purely personal and you are more than welcome to disagree - just don't be offended.

On the whole Africa/Adventure trip argument started not because I actually chose the KTM 640, but merely due to the fact that (in my mind) it is up for serious hard-core adventure. For f#ck sakes, you can go through Africa on a mountain bike! It is a question of what would be (for you) the choice of partner that is most suited for the task. I am talking maintainability, fun, comfort etc.

Case closed
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:46:59 pm by Jonix »

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2008, 05:47:48 pm »
OK, that is all for this week. Next time.....KAWA!

Offline fixit

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2008, 06:14:01 pm »
Excellent read Jonix. For a second there I thought Fidel was logged on as another user >:D

The way you explain the bikes are much the same way I view them. Good to see you stand your ground against the likes of some of the defensive fellow dogs.  :thumleft:

Can't wait for the closure.....
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2008, 06:33:02 pm »
I'm in for the next installment, good reading and views expressed.  :thumleft:

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2008, 06:57:47 pm »
His "Orange" clearly leans toward those Wheel Chair things. They're actually an excuse NOT to ride a bus ! Immagine a Wheel Chair with Knobbies!!  :laughing4:  :imaposer: :laughing4:
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline Jonix

• Pack Dog
  • Persona non Grata
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:46 pm »
FixIt: Thanks & glad somebody agrees with my views! No problem to stand my ground - I just revel in the irony of certain comments. :biggrin:

Mark H: Thanks! :thumleft:

Tweety: You lost me. ???

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2008, 06:26:16 am »
Subscribing.
Love the way you approached this evaluation of the bikes.
Eagerly awaiting the outcome.
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.