The Quest (...choosing a "partner")

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonix

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Choosing a bike is a flirtatious affair and so it should be!

In my quest to find the ideal partner (read bike) over the last couple of years proved in many ways exciting, often frustrating but never disappointing. I have found that searching for the ideal bike is in many ways like searching for the ideal wife (some might say you are better off searching for the Yeti) - she must be able to live with your dimensions (which includes the size of your ego), but more importantly she must be able to support you in your quest for an adventurous life.

A wise man could have said: â??Go forth, but be careful in what you say to a man about his choice of bike, as it is a reflection of his limitations as a man, his ego, as well as his sense of adventure.â?

I am yet to witness somebody who will admit that his bike inferior to another, as there will be always some sort of justification for why it is just the right partner for him. Then again, how would you feel if somebody questions your wife's suspension, her knobblies or her fuel consumption? How about her big fuel tank and her wet weight or how she handles in sand? If the answer is: "I like her, because I find her sexy in the way she moves when I jiggle her throttle." Maybe that is enough. Maybe there is no need to jiggle any other throttle. You have found enlightenment and should marry her immediately!

Well in my quest, I have narrowed my ideal partner down to one that is extremely suitable for adventure, undeniably sexy and with a "phat" dose of the fun factor. To be clear:

Adventure is an activity that comprises risky, dangerous and uncertain experiences;
Sexy is being very attractive or appealing and sensual in appearance or behaviour; and Fun is the expenditure of time in a manner designed for therapeutic refreshment of one's body or mind.

I started my search with the Bayerische family (owns Bayerische Motoren Werke) and found them to be a sophisticated and exclusive bunch and with a high degree of excellence. The ladies that immediately caught my eye were the 800 GS and the 1200 GS Adventure. Then there were the younger slightly shy sister in the 650 Dakar, the middle sister who looked as if she had something to hide in the 1200 GS and then obviously the older sister in the HP2 (who some might call the ugly one) who you could tell by the look in her eyes would stop at nothing when it comes to showing you a good time.

Being a liberated sole, I believe one should treat a lady to a couple of turns on the dance floor to test the waters and if you like what you see, take her away on a dirty weekend before making any long-term commitments.

Struggling with commitment issues and a low impulsive gene count, I decided to test drive all of them (not without protection of cource), read as much as possible, as well as speak to other brothers who have married into the same family.

To be continuedâ?¦