Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Some UK offroading ride reports for Wino  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Some UK offroading ride reports for Wino
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:49:48 pm »
Well what can I say it must be worthwhile draggin my ass out of bed at 6:30 t0 head out to the plains in bloody freezin weather this morning

I could say this story starts with "it was a cold darkish morning..."

Organised with my essex mate Chad to meet at the Dartford gates at 7:30, I was a bit early so enjoyed the fresh smell of diesel and car fumes  :?

Chad arrived shortly after and think secretely he would of also rather been snuggling up in the safe warm comfort of his bed and missus but duty calls :D

I would of taken photo's of our first coffe stop at Fleet services but could not get my hands to work for a while  :shock: So the camera only came out at the Countess services after a nice hot coffee. What a great turnout and thanks to everyone who managed to make it.

A variety of old and new Africa Twins and Transalps, and of course the odd beemer and suzi too :wink:

The clean bikes was soon to be transformed..... :twisted:

One nice shiny Transalp coming up....

Poor Chad had no idea what he let himself into yet :P

This GS has been stripped to do more offroading than touring - ewin eat ur heart out mate :D

Right enough introductions.....dirty pics to follow :mrgreen:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
Getting down and dirty
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 03:52:39 pm »
Our first water crossing was just a taster and to get everyone ready for the water

We all had a go and the idea of falling off into the water on a chilly sub 10 degree morning did not appeal to me at all!

Why does it always look so easy on a pogo stick :lol:

The next puddle was serious business and as we approached it thought I will let someone else test the water depth but then decided I might as well do it myself and take pics if I make it through  :?

It was deep and everyone took a second or two before taking the plunge..

This one went so fast I could not even capture the moment..

Should of brought a submarine

Luckilly everyone made it through with no swimming lessons needed  :wink:

Pretty sure this puddle get's deeper every time we go through it

I am sure this Suzuki can ride on top of water  :shock:

A very relieved Chad at the other side of the pond

Damn just washed it two weeks ago :(

We took a nice ride around the woods which turned out very very slippery and muddy, think two bikes went down

Well deserved coffee break

What a pretty sight

Go concour my son, all yours!

A few last mud crossings to wrap up a good day

Still have to learn my timing with the phone camera..

Enough mud for everyone to enjoy 8)

Can't wait for the next offroad ride 8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:14:52 pm »
Nice stuff

Thinking of a song: 'I'm an alien, i'm a legal alien - i'm a African in New  ... Londen'  - when seeing the AT

H

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:25:33 pm »
Stunning Maverick!

I guess with the weather conditions as it is in the UK, all of you DS okes are experts in water/mud riding. 8)
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 04:35:42 pm »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
Stunning Maverick!

I guess with the weather conditions as it is in the UK, all of you DS okes are experts in water/mud riding. 8)

No, we're just good at praying! :angel5:
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 05:00:55 pm »
Yep we are pro's - pronutro's :D

To be honest I still chow half the seat away when the front starts going in the mud with my ass :shock: Offroading is like drinking Indian Tonic water, sooner or later you have to try it :lol:

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 05:12:41 pm »
No, we're just good at praying!

Yep we are pro's - pronutro's  

To be honest I still chow half the seat away when the front starts going in the mud with my ass  Offroading is like drinking Indian Tonic water, sooner or later you have to try it

I hear you guys and can sympathise with that feelings since it is exactly what I am going through each time.  :oops:  :lol: But nothing more lekker to talk about it afterwards!  8) DS riding. Nothing can beat it.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 06:03:47 pm »
nice report and pics mav  :)  :)
love the pics where you see some oke sneaking thru the fields to bypass the water  :lol:  :lol:

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 06:25:01 pm »
and done all for me, well thank you! :wink:

keep them coming! show those poms how to do it! if we can't beat them in rugby, cricket, soccer, netball, ...oh, stuff it, just show them :twisted: !

shark_za

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 06:48:43 pm »
Whats it with poms and the Africa Twin, the two AT owners I know down here are poms.

Nice group you got going there Mav.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 07:15:40 pm »
Well all the AT owners I know here besides Lootch is english. They have great admiration for the Africa Twin and know a guy or two who traded theirs in to GS and after a few months bought AT's again.

Mine was sort of bought on impulse as I had my GS stolen at the time. Now I am used to it and it sure is better offroad and in the city commuting. I do miss the solid feeling of the GS on a open road though.

Hopefully we will go offroading soon and get some more pics :lol:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:18:05 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
love the pics where you see some oke sneaking thru the fields to bypass the water  :lol:  :lol:

That is our other SA buddie Stefan, he was actually right behind me when we went through the water and decided to go into the veld while I took pics of the rest who followed through :lol:

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 09:39:18 am »
damn you boys can handle the cold..... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR nice water ridin' :D
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline mango

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 07:26:59 pm »
Bet you guys enjoyed that hot shower afterwards...Brrrrr