Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kitchen knives  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Wayne

Re: Kitchen knives
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2020, 03:18:23 pm »
A knife made for me by a friend at work, based on a design I saw in a magazine.

Brass bolster and pommel, with pine cone cast in resin scale
Goodness me that is beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: GEE-SH

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2020, 03:28:14 pm »
Nice video on chef's knives. East to West and pro & cons.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

The following users thanked this post: roxenz

Offline Exploratio

• Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2020, 03:32:00 pm »
Knifemanship.  Is there such word.

I tried lifting my kitchen knife skills a bit.  The scars on my fingers can attest 

Seems there are different styles for different knives.  The chinese chopper style is different from the more european chef knife style.   Dont own a chpper like this.  The wusthof 5inch chopper seems to get popular nowadays.  Will give it a go sometime

Me too, I want a Wusthof Cleaver - its the one design I have never tried.....

I also have one of these - Alaskan Ulu Knife - very easy to use, single side bevel, so depending which way you face the blade, it cuts differently. super control as the cutting edge is directly below your hand.....
I made something similar from an old saw blade.
My wife loves it and ordered one in stainless steel. Having trouble finding steel that wide. Must buy a sheet measuring 500x1000 mm if you want N690.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2020, 03:50:24 pm »
A knife made for me by a friend at work, based on a design I saw in a magazine.
Brass bolster and pommel, with pine cone cast in resin scale
Goodness me that is beautiful.
Yes! I like the handle very much. Seems to me there are many good-looking knives where the handle looks like a real blister-raiser. This one looks hand-friendly.

The following users thanked this post: GEE-SH

Offline BigBoer

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2020, 04:17:22 pm »
Knifemanship.  Is there such word.

I tried lifting my kitchen knife skills a bit.  The scars on my fingers can attest 

Seems there are different styles for different knives.  The chinese chopper style is different from the more european chef knife style.   Dont own a chpper like this.  The wusthof 5inch chopper seems to get popular nowadays.  Will give it a go sometime

Me too, I want a Wusthof Cleaver - its the one design I have never tried.....

I also have one of these - Alaskan Ulu Knife - very easy to use, single side bevel, so depending which way you face the blade, it cuts differently. super control as the cutting edge is directly below your hand.....
I made something similar from an old saw blade.
My wife loves it and ordered one in stainless steel. Having trouble finding steel that wide. Must buy a sheet measuring 500x1000 mm if you want N690.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

You can buy N690 from Bohler in 1m strips, any width you desire above 50mm...they do not cut strips less than 50mm.  Otherwise you can chat to the guys at www.kmts.co.za, they have steel in smaller quantities.  Rausch Engineering also sell steel in small quantities.

Offline Exploratio

• Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2020, 09:20:12 am »
Dealing with Bohler in Isando is not easy.
Much easier to deal with their branch in PE.

You are correct as to the strip widths. My mistake. The largest sheet from them is 500x1000mm.
XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2020, 08:59:55 am »
A very nice cleaver.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=246103.0;topicseen

Sorry, wrong thread, mods please move.   :thumleft:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:43:24 am by Vis Arend »
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2020, 09:48:43 am »
A very nice cleaver.
When you said wrong thread, I thought maybe it would be about "a very nice cleavage" - so was a bit disappointed when I clicked on the thread...   :imaposer:

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2020, 11:13:28 am »
A very nice cleaver.
When you said wrong thread, I thought maybe it would be about "a very nice cleavage" - so was a bit disappointed when I clicked on the thread...   :imaposer:

:eek7:   :biggrin: 
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline bud500

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2020, 11:18:55 am »
I've been using my Victorinox set for the past 25 years. The Chef's knife and Bread knife are my go to's.

Then the crappy stolen pic is one of the current knives I drool over..
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2020, 12:23:32 pm »
Deon, that Victorinox (2nd pic) looks fabulous. I like the handle especially! It looks like it would be very comfortable to use.

I'm playing (making cardboard models) with handle shapes for a heavy-ish chef knife, something between a light cleaver and heavy chef. When I'm happy, would you consider making one? I liked the look of the knives you made and posted on the other thread. They look like they are made to be used, not "photographic models".  :biggrin:

Offline bud500

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2020, 02:57:06 pm »
Deon, that Victorinox (2nd pic) looks fabulous. I like the handle especially! It looks like it would be very comfortable to use.

I'm playing (making cardboard models) with handle shapes for a heavy-ish chef knife, something between a light cleaver and heavy chef. When I'm happy, would you consider making one? I liked the look of the knives you made and posted on the other thread. They look like they are made to be used, not "photographic models".  :biggrin:

Ja ek kyk ook juis rond, om vir myself iets vir die kombuis te maak.
Hier is n paar handgemaakte voorbeelde, LET WEL nie myne nie.

May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Oshkosh

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2020, 07:06:12 pm »
Just added this set to the Kitchen!!  :thumleft:
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2020, 08:19:57 pm »

Pretty please, I want to be your chef.   :biggrin: 

Very nice set, I will sell a kidney and some more for that.   :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Oshkosh

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2020, 08:44:49 pm »

Very nice set, I will sell a kidney and some more for that.   :thumleft: :thumleft:

@Vis Arend

Bought it on Takealot!!  :thumleft:
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2020, 04:45:50 am »

@Vis Arend

Bought it on Takealot!!  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft:  That is a pretty good price for that set, thanks. 

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2020, 10:13:08 am »
I have a small 5 piece Wusthof set and then all the ‘mongrel’ knives i have acquired through the years. Some plain and cheap others a bit better.  I have my favourites.

In a perfect world i wouldnt buy a set.  I will go for different single types fit for purpose.  I like that uniqueness. I even have a table ‘set’ of different knives and forks. Bought or acquired through different means from pandjieswinkels to gifts or buying a set with some cutlery missing.  My wife dont like it. Especially not when we have guests.  I also like a kitchen table set with different chairs. 

On my wishlist is a thin blade small 6 inch chef knife with no bolster or heel.  For delicate sharp work.  I also havent found the right utility and small knife yet.  Still searching though. :biggrin:  Would also like a Japanese chopper santoku type knife.  Just nothing in Damascus - i like shiny simple blades. 

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2020, 12:45:47 pm »
I have a small 5 piece Wusthof set and then all the ‘mongrel’ knives i have acquired through the years. Some plain and cheap others a bit better.  I have my favourites.

In a perfect world i wouldnt buy a set.  I will go for different single types fit for purpose.  I like that uniqueness. I even have a table ‘set’ of different knives and forks. Bought or acquired through different means from pandjieswinkels to gifts or buying a set with some cutlery missing.  My wife dont like it. Especially not when we have guests.  I also like a kitchen table set with different chairs. 

On my wishlist is a thin blade small 6 inch chef knife with no bolster or heel.  For delicate sharp work.  I also havent found the right utility and small knife yet.  Still searching though. :biggrin:  Would also like a Japanese chopper santoku type knife.  Just nothing in Damascus - i like shiny simple blades.

Actually true, but would still like to have it just for the sake of having it.   :biggrin:

Ons het ook 'n hele verskeindenheid verskillende messe en vurke aangeskaf by pandtjiewinkels, ons laaik daai.  Spesifieke botter messe en eet messe en dan sulke lekker outydse vurke, daai met die lekker lang vurk voor. 

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2020, 01:00:28 pm »

Actually true, but would still like to have it just for the sake of having it.   :biggrin:

Ons het ook 'n hele verskeindenheid verskillende messe en vurke aangeskaf by pandtjiewinkels, ons laaik daai.  Spesifieke botter messe en eet messe en dan sulke lekker outydse vurke, daai met die lekker lang vurk voor.
Met skerp tande, wat 'n kersie-tamatie in slaai kan raak steek sonder om sap in jou buurman se oë te spuit. Daai restaurant vurke met hulle square stomp tanne maak my tiete lam...

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2020, 01:21:44 pm »

Met skerp tande, wat 'n kersie-tamatie in slaai kan raak steek sonder om sap in jou buurman se oë te spuit. Daai restaurant vurke met hulle square stomp tanne maak my tiete lam...
[/quote]

:laughing4: :laughing4:  Net so, as jou kos eers die hele bord rondhardloop oor 'n stomp vurk eet ek sommer met 'n lepel.   :biggrin: