Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tools to Sharpen your Toys  (Read 6699 times)

Offline johanp

Re: Tools to Sharpen your Toys
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2021, 02:20:34 pm »
Speaking of sharpening things, I've been waiting for this to hit the shelves, and it finally did:
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/manual/precision-adjust-knife-sharpener/

It's cheap as chips and can get a blunt knife razor-sharp within minutes. I'm very impressed.

I've used a couple of other sharpeners such as the Lansky system, Warthog multi-angle, Warthog V sharp, and the Worksharp electric thing before, but this is by far my favorite.

Congrats !
I will probably get one in the future but just bought the KME. What I like about the Worksharp is you can go down to 15 degrees, what made me go for the KME was the wide range of stones and lapping films - it just so much more( yes more $'s too)
Thanks, yep KME would definitely be first prize but at this price, it's just impossible to resist and it didn't disappoint.

It "can" go down to 15deg, but with a regular sized blade it'll catch the clamp.

Had a look over the weekend and I was actually wrong, with my large Inkosi it would be able to go down to 15 without getting close to the clamp. It's much smaller blades that would have a problem.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2021, 11:30:41 am »
Last 10+ years:
- Edge Pro Apex + CKTG diamond stones, for setting bevels
- Spyderco Sharpmaker + diamond rods, for minor touchups and micro bevels
- DMT Diafolds freehand

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:33:20 am by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

The following users thanked this post: johanp, Andrew_Smith

Offline johanp

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2021, 07:23:05 am »
So I recently got one of these, and I must say it's a great tool for touching up edges.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2021, 12:14:10 pm »
The Sharpmaker is a winner! It is simple and easy to use, the ceramic stones can be used freehand and when you use the corners it is very effective for maintaining sharp serrations. It is indispensable for me. I can recommend the faster cutting diamond or CBN stones too.

I use it often to maintain micro bevels. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:19:39 pm by Boerbok »
Hans

SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2021, 12:17:58 pm »
I recently invested in good strops and diamond stropping sprays. And a few extra stones for the Edge Pro.

Hans

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2021, 10:49:47 am »
Best place to buy a leather strop in the PTA/JHB area and what strop must it be? Have seen not all strops are equal, it is for use on one off @Ghato chef knives/cleavers.

Offline johanp

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2021, 11:07:53 am »
http://
Best place to buy a leather strop in the PTA/JHB area and what strop must it be? Have seen not all strops are equal, it is for use on one off @Ghato chef knives/cleavers.
@Ghato makes them if Iím not mistaken. 
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Ghato

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW R1250 GS Adventure
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2021, 08:14:41 pm »
http://
@Ghato makes them if Iím not mistaken.

Yes....I can help.
Zero83 442. 9966
BMW 650 - Sold
BMW 1200 GS - Sold
Buell Ulyssis - Sold
KTM Super Duke R - Sold
BMW 1200 Adventure - Sold Ducati Multistrada 1200 - Happy!!

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline mox

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2021, 11:58:59 am »
On Sharpening:

I have had my fun sharpening and then honing all the way through all the stones on various systems and by hand. Done with that, the edge never holds on working knives so I have gone back to my old way of doing things and my blades hold their edge for much longer.

Get the blade sharp on a 300 grit(+-)  then up to 1500(+-) then back down to roughen it up a bit with a 600 or 800 grit. Finally I lightly leather strop it. Gives me the best results for a very sharp edge retention that can work hard.

I also set up a primary and secondary edge as per the pic.

What do you do?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:02:42 pm by mox »

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2021, 01:43:24 pm »
I run it on a 600 grit belt grinder for 30 seconds😵

Offline mulmi

« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2021, 08:50:55 am »
I got this stone in my local hardware store. But the person working the counter does not know anything about it.

Would it be a wet stone or a oil stone. I tried to google the manufacturer but I could not find anything. I want to try the free hand method. Obviously on some of the cheapy kitchen knife to start with.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2021, 09:00:59 am »
I got this stone in my local hardware store. But the person working the counter does not know anything about it.

Would it be a wet stone or a oil stone. I tried to google the manufacturer but I could not find anything. I want to try the free hand method. Obviously on some of the cheapy kitchen knife to start with.

It is actually a whet stone 8)  You can use water or oil on the cheapies, water is mostly better. If you use oil, its permanent

Offline johanp

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2021, 01:41:12 pm »

Woohoo!
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline mox

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2021, 02:40:14 pm »
Wonder when the local guys will have stock?
I've been considering this https://www.gritomatic.com/products/4-inch-stone-holder-for-work-sharp-precision-adjust

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
Picked this up for 500rhondts at a boot sale. Anyone had any experience with Warthog sharpeners?
Looks similar to their Multi-edge line but maybe a really old model?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:23:37 pm by McSack »
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

The following users thanked this post: mox

Offline mulmi

« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2021, 01:58:24 pm »
Picked this up for 500rhondts at a boot sale. Anyone had any experience with Warthog sharpeners?
Looks similar to their Multi-edge line but maybe a really old model?

That looks so nice.  Proper wooden box

Offline mox

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2021, 10:09:46 am »
Okay a question for the sharpening guru's, not specifically about tools but more on the theory of sharpening knives.
My Cold Steel American Lawman came extremely sharp but gritty from the factory. I have been putting it to the test and it has performed very well and I decided to touch it up and get it really sharp again. Not knowing the sharpening angle fro the factory I went to the sharpie test and was surprised what I found.
The one side was at 20⁰ and the other 25⁰ roughly.

I have never come across this. Do you think this was accidental or purposely done and is there any benefit to this ?

Offline heinzz

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2021, 11:24:43 am »
Okay a question for the sharpening guru's, not specifically about tools but more on the theory of sharpening knives.
My Cold Steel American Lawman came extremely sharp but gritty from the factory. I have been putting it to the test and it has performed very well and I decided to touch it up and get it really sharp again. Not knowing the sharpening angle fro the factory I went to the sharpie test and was surprised what I found.
The one side was at 20⁰ and the other 25⁰ roughly.

I have never come across this. Do you think this was accidental or purposely done and is there any benefit to this ?

Have seen this before and apparently there is some theory behind this. What it is I don't know.

My one leatherman with straight blade came like that. 16degree one side and 20 degree on the other. Changed it to 20degrees both sides to take the guesswork out of it.

Offline WeeStrom

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Weeeeee!
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2021, 02:49:11 pm »
I picked up a smooth stone that had cracked and left a near perfectly flat face.
Just out of curiosity I did a sharpening test with a hatchet. When I started to feel a burr I gave it a leather stropping and voila!

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2021, 02:56:39 pm »

Woohoo!

I have never enjoyed sharpening knives but with this I find an excuse to do so.
It makes it easy and hair popping sharp in minimal time