Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sending a bike overseas - permanently  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Sending a bike overseas - permanently
« on: February 04, 2020, 01:25:50 pm »
So, this is the plan ........................ to send my 950 to the UK to my family's address or collect at the harbour. Then ride it around for a few weeks in Europe and settle in the Netherlands. I'll be living there permanently and will need to register the bike there as well.

Now, is this possible and how do I do it? Do you guys know of any reputable transport people I can use? I want the bike boxed, like Andy660 did, not just tied down in a container, as there may be bits and pieces traveliing with it.

And from a paperwork perspective, what is needed? The bike is registered in my name with no finance commitments.

My present understanding is I can ship it there and .............................. actually, I have no understanding. I don't know whether it's possible or the bike has to return here ....................  ???
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Sending a bike overseas - permanently
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 01:37:02 pm »
Subscribe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245016.new#new
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245017.new#new

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 01:39:04 pm »
I would start with one of the reputable Freight Forwarders - they do this for a living, get a quote and then shop around....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Swazi Phil

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 01:46:14 pm »
Stuttaford Vanlines can do it, they also offer insurance and have agents to collect and assist with customs and port formalities at destination.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels moves the soul.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 01:47:22 pm »
I would start with one of the reputable Freight Forwarders - they do this for a living, get a quote and then shop around....

That was the question, Mr Turtle .....................  :biggrin:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »

That was the question, Mr Turtle .....................  :biggrin:

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....   :imaposer:

My family used Stuttafords as well - they took a Bentley and a XT500 to the UK a few years back - no issues at all.... Except the import duty on the Bentley, that was an issue.....  :biggrin:

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 01:59:38 pm »
Thanks, boys, I've contacted stuttafords ............ :thumleft:

Let's see who else is out there. I've tried getting hold of Andy660 but he's gone missing. I hope they haven't stabbed him already.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »
So, this is the plan ........................ to send my 950 to the UK to my family's address or collect at the harbour. Then ride it around for a few weeks in Europe and settle in the Netherlands. I'll be living there permanently and will need to register the bike there as well.

Now, is this possible and how do I do it? Do you guys know of any reputable transport people I can use? I want the bike boxed, like Andy660 did, not just tied down in a container, as there may be bits and pieces traveliing with it.

And from a paperwork perspective, what is needed? The bike is registered in my name with no finance commitments.

My present understanding is I can ship it there and .............................. actually, I have no understanding. I don't know whether it's possible or the bike has to return here ....................  ???

If you have owned it for more than say a year, you can take it with I believe, get hold of a "friend" at Katoom or BMW etc see if you can get a crate from them from a new bike, much easier  :biggrin: you could wait for a T7 Yamaha case but I don't think you have time.  :sip:
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 02:07:01 pm »
Adrian Schultz
Director, Econo Trans
 Cape Town, South Africa
 Tel. +27-21-5115513.
 Fax +27-21-5114707
 0861-MOVING
 Direct fax no: 0865107482
 e-mail :
adrian@econotrans.co.za

Cheers, Chris (they have branches around the country...)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:08:24 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

The following users thanked this post: Ganjora

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 02:34:59 pm »

If you have owned it for more than say a year, you can take it with I believe, get hold of a "friend" at Katoom or BMW etc see if you can get a crate from them from a new bike, much easier  :biggrin: you could wait for a T7 Yamaha case but I don't think you have time.  :sip:

If Cracker can source a T7, I will buy the bike and give him the crate free.....  :pot:

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 02:45:27 pm »
This is a serious thread, chaps, let's leave the unicorn piss out of it ..............  :deal: :imaposer:

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 02:55:12 pm »
Adrian Schultz
Director, Econo Trans
 Cape Town, South Africa
 Tel. +27-21-5115513.
 Fax +27-21-5114707
 0861-MOVING
 Direct fax no: 0865107482
 e-mail :
adrian@econotrans.co.za

Cheers, Chris (they have branches around the country...)

Tx, Chris, I've sent Adrian an email ......................  :thumleft:

Offline Bike_Buddies

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 03:02:46 pm »
https://www.seabrookfandh.com/

This was my quote for a Autovilla to the UK

SA branch charges: Origin / Export
1. USD 1895 for the shipping
2. ZAR 4495 for the police clearance and ITAC export permit
3. ZAR 7595 for the relocation to Cape Town (from Pretoria)
Your SA total in Rands at today's exchange rate: R 36 156.50

Our UK branch charges: Destination / Import
Destination charges in London: GBP 450 for vehicle

Includes: Container dray, port fees, unloading and customs clearance

Excludes: duties and taxes (if applicable)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:04:26 pm by Bike_Buddies »

Offline BuRP

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 05:17:45 pm »
@Cracker ,

you, having served many an oddball remark on this forum (for which my farging thanks btw!!! :P ), surely can appreciate an oddball echo... ever thought about selling it, and only rent bikes there when your gat juks?
I have quite a number of friends there, and all have sold their steed and rent these days, for some maybe notsoobvious reasons:
- parking as well as storing the bike during winter, both costing not inconsiderate amounts
- they say it's way cheaper
Also, for any off you'll need to travel quite a bit, obviously depending on where you'll end up.
Worth knowing if you didn't already - and vaar wel there!  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 08:49:36 pm »
Yes, yes, yes, that all makes sense ..................... but I like this bike. I've spent a gazillion rand on making it work AND be as uncomfortable as possible.

If I was buying again, I would never buy a tall bike .................... I have to pick this thing off the ground way too often. Worse than a drunk fat chick.

However ....................  it is mine, I like it, it works flawlessly (now) and I need to take a piece of ME with me.

AND, those Dutchmen need to need to know that I am there and their shit is booked ......................................  :pot:

--------------------------------------------

But, then again, if this is gonna cost too much, I'll sell it and catch the bus.   :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 09:04:11 pm »
Yes, yes, yes, that all makes sense ..................... but I like this bike. I've spent a gazillion rand on making it work AND be as uncomfortable as possible.

If I was buying again, I would never buy a tall bike .................... I have to pick this thing off the ground way too often. Worse than a drunk fat chick.

However ....................  it is mine, I like it, it works flawlessly (now) and I need to take a piece of ME with me.

AND, those Dutchmen need to need to know that I am there and their shit is booked ......................................  :pot:

--------------------------------------------

But, then again, if this is gonna cost too much, I'll sell it and catch the bus.   :imaposer: :imaposer:

Well said. Well said.  :thumleft:

I love the part of "Take a piece of me, with me". Really moving...not sure why but I found that very moving. Money comes and money goes, more often towards things we dont really think about. Having your bike with you in Dutchland might just be the thing that pulls you out if the doldrums on those cold rainy days. Even if it just sits in the lounge and you sit next to her with a hot cup of milo wondering what your both doing over there and how it all came to this...

I dont know...for me I'd pay the money. Take my baby with and keep it for the good memories even if I can only ride her 2 months a year.

But that's me...as I said money will always get spent.

Good luck Cracker, always enjoyed the few times I was in your company. Your place had such a cool energy about it and it's sad to see another quality guy leave the country. I'm sure you'll do well in Dutchland, lots of pretty dutch girls that side to keep your attention, pretty decent beer and really good weed so not all is lost.

Plus a couple weeks on the KTM riding around Europe in the summer months wouldn't be such a bad thing I reckon...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:13:10 pm by XTZFegen »
I do all my own stunts.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 11:05:23 pm »
@Cracker ,

Joe hef meel!

Also, if you take it across and register it a few things
- drag this out to the maximum period possible so as to save you the roadtax (WegenBelasting) due, for here you ju$t may have an unplea$ant $urpri$e coming
- depending on the age of your steed it may be registered in a way you have to pay this only for a few month per year, but ask someone who knows these rules (I do not)
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 11:59:53 pm »
Hi Cracker, I can maybe enlighten you a bit.
I live in the UK now and busy sending my 1150GSA from ZA to join me. Why, people will ask.

My 1150GSa is in great condition, has about 65k km and I have owned it for about 5 years, so I kinda know what good and what's going to need attention next.
From the ZA WA group I'm on (1100 and 1150 BM owners) plus this forum, I have a fair idea of what my bike could sell for in ZA. I took that value and added what I was quoted door to door  shipping and converted to 's. I then looked on Autotrader UK and found only 2 GSA's (quite a few GS's) For my s I had little to choose from, in worse condition than mine and I don't know its history. It was a no brainer.

I had asked on Wilddogs if anyone had any suggestions for a shipping company. I was given then name Moto Freight Ltd, a British company that ships bikes around the world. They have been great at keeping me updated with what's needed. They also put me in contact with their ZA agent who happens to be Ardrian from EconoTrans, the same person Chris suggested below.

Adrian then put me in contact with a guy in Durban (where my bike was) who would do the following for me. You will need to do the same. The bike has to be Datadot'd and then get police clearance. Also the bike must be shipped with an empty fuel tank. Tools and spares can be shipped with the bike but no oils. The oil in the bike can stay there. I was going back to Durban  for Christmas so rode the fuel out, cleaned the bike, removed the mirrors and screen and put all my spares in the panniers. I then met the guy and handed over the bike, panniers, extra seat and Logbook. I brought the screen back in my luggage. He did the police clearance and Datatagging for a small fee ( I wasn't prepared to spend a few days of my holiday running around doing that and shuffling seats in government offices in Durban heat) The bike is now crated with the 3xpanniers and seat and I believe with Adrian awaiting shipping.

Note, I will also have to pay VAT in the UK because I have been living here for 2 years. If I had shipped it withing my first 12 months I would have got tax relief ie no VAT.

Fire away if you have any question or if I can help in any way just ask. I have a garage here so if you need free storage for a while, no problem.

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 12:43:18 am »
Well, my bikes cost me nothing during winter.
They hang around my garage.

My cafe racer has zero wegenbelasting and my 990 costs me the price of 2 beers per month.

Insurance is cheap enough that I don't even recall how much that is. My Merc plus 2 bikes is 58 a month.
Bought everything cash so their monthly costs are next to nothing.

I have to disagree with the statements that wegenbelasting will be a nasty surprise and renting a bike will be cheaper.
Also, NL TET is no more than 80km away from pretty much anywhere in the Netherlands.
So I have to disagree with that statement too

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:46:35 am by dirtWarp »

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 07:13:41 am »
Thanks, lads, some good responses there. Didn't think of datadot.