Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sending a bike overseas - permanently  (Read 1016 times)

Online Pumbaa

Re: Sending a bike overseas - permanently
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 09:51:20 am »
Well, my bikes cost me nothing during winter.
They hang around my garage.

My cafe racer has zero wegenbelasting and my 990 costs me the price of 2 beers per month.

Insurance is cheap enough that I don't even recall how much that is. My Merc plus 2 bikes is 58 a month.
Bought everything cash so their monthly costs are next to nothing.

I have to disagree with the statements that wegenbelasting will be a nasty surprise and renting a bike will be cheaper.
Also, NL TET is no more than 80km away from pretty much anywhere in the Netherlands.
So I have to disagree with that statement too

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
I guess your insurance is the basic cover?

Cracker, there are generally 3 levels of insurance cover. Roughly, first level (similar to third party damage) is between 5-10 per month. Next level from memory would include fire and theft. Roughly between 10-20 per month. Fully comprehensive would be around 50-100, depending on bike, value Kms traveled etc.

I still regret not bringing my 990....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 12:39:05 pm »
Car is extra (fire/theft/3rd party + own damage)

For the purpose of this discussion:
Bikes have basic insurance and I would not comprehensively insure them either.

Never saw the need.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:47:16 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline BuRP

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 01:38:43 pm »

My cafe racer has zero wegenbelasting and my 990 costs me the price of 2 beers per month.

Insurance is cheap enough that I don't even recall how much that is. My Merc plus 2 bikes is 58 a month.

I have to disagree with the statements that wegenbelasting will be a nasty surprise and renting a bike will be cheaper.
Also, NL TET is no more than 80km away from pretty much anywhere in the Netherlands.

Hi dirtWarp,

Pleased to hear you have a garage there, hardly a normal thing in average-NL so consider yourself lucky.
If you rent such separate in for instance Amsterdam you may pay up to 1500(!) per month, surely you know this, and I dunno where Cracker will settle down once there.
If in for instance central Utrecht he may end up in a second floor house having not even space to park his bicycle inside, or in a flat (zero wrong with that!), and only a few of those have covered or inside parking for bicycles.
If he settles somewhere rural, Hattem as another example, then renting a house with garage is possible albeit it'll cost him more.

RoadTax/Wegenbelasting I know can be a serious amount at least for cars, and this depends on the fuel, diesel and LPG more costly.
Bikes will be less, and I know one may 'park' it over winter i.e not pay this tax - therefore my 2nd post.

If one buys a bike there, even a recent used one, then for those riding only a few trips per year renting likely is cheaper, plus one tends to ride the latest models too.
Factoring in depreciation is always a bugger, and All Risk insurance costs way more than WA only (3rd Party basically) so it depends how one does it.
Yeah, Cracker's bike ain't new anymore so this may not be valid for him, but if he wants to own a new2him one there then there may be an alternative, hence my oddball suggestion.

Also I was referring to offroad riding to Cracker (I think that's his thing?), and the NL TET is mostly tarred but probably all of it.
It's a scenic route yes but tarred, the bit below for instance (taken from https://transeurotrail.org/netherlands/#6.38/52.293/5.627 ) I know to be 100% tarred i.e zero off in it.
Go down with Google Earth and you'll see it's true, there's even some Provincial roads in it, at Westervoort for instance.
I know this because it used to be my stomping ground, and I drove most of it again less than 2 weeks ago in a car.
So, for any decent offroad Cracker has to travel a bit hence my remark, the jackpot probably being Spain and Portugal - and this means that for him wanting some off he'll has to plan ahead rather than what I assume he does now as a spur of the moment thing.

Mind you though, I've heard from a mutual friend you're a good off rider, so I presume you know where the off bits can be found.
I have also understood here Cracker ain't no slouch either... so perhaps contact the dude once he's there?
Can only be fun I reckon  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 02:29:58 pm »
Arnhem, love it  :thumleft:.... That's the general area I wanna settle in and buy a house. With a garage.  Seen some decent one's in nearby towns. My son presently lives in Deventer. 1st year will likely be in a flat until I'm settled workwise.

It's nice in Arnhem and there's even some hills. Did a bicycle trip there a couple years back, got tricked into thinking all of NL is flat.

As for off road, I'm not really bothered anymore, my time with that is pretty much finished. I wanna end up touring Europe, especially the east and perhaps further into Russia, etc.

But first, I gotta get my bike tyred-up and in the post.....   :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline BuRP

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 03:21:53 pm »
Arnhem, love it  :thumleft:.... That's the general area I wanna settle in and buy a house. With a garage.  Seen some decent one's in nearby towns.

Lucky coincidence maybe lol - go have a look in Velp, Rheden or De Steeg, all bordering the Veluwezoom (southern border of the forest area which is hilly indeed, the Posbank the highest point)!
Cheaper than Arnhem itself (I'm talking about the (older) part North of the Rhine, as in the South of it it is less costly but also less attractive to live in) and the distance to Arnhem proper is negligeable, Velp in fact is 'part' of Arnhem so to speak, cycling distances!
Ellecom's costly property wise (so are Oosterbeek & Rozendaal!), but in Dieren you'll find much also... but that is a 'real' distance away from Arnhem already.
Go looksee, if you like nature this is a good area to be in!  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »
Just got a verbal quote from Stuttafords ................... up to 32k to box it and send it, with a 4-6 week delivery.

Smoking their socks, methinks ........................ won't be using them ::)

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 05:16:24 pm »
Just got a verbal quote from Stuttafords ................... up to 32k to box it and send it, with a 4-6 week delivery.

Id pay that ... cause like you said, you could sell ... and buy again but you dont know what you getting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245016.new#new
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245017.new#new

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 05:37:11 pm »
Ja, but you live in the Cape .................. you're a millionaire  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick one-off pricing check I did a while back showed 2nd hand 950's in NL costing about 4500 euro. That's a lot for something you know nothing about. And mine is pristine, no rust, no fading, no nothing. And recently resprayed ................. looks bling!!!

So, yeah, it may be worth it ................... but still ....................... 32k just sticks in my throat. :'(

Waiting on replies from others ................ tick-tock, tick-tock.

Online Pumbaa

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 06:54:16 pm »
I think that is a reasonable quote, obviously depending what is included, ie port charges, handling, clearing, export documents etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 07:02:38 pm »

@Cracker - I dont think you can expect much less. I have just checked my quote. Collect from Durban (I think it goes to Cape Town), ship to UK, Deliver to my home in the Midlands (160km from London)  Moto freight is a UK company so paying in s. Using a rate of 19:1 it comes out at R31 730 ! so Stutterfords are bang on.

By the way, I have just had an email with photos of my panniers from the South African agent, Adrian @ Econotrans asking if two dents were already there when I handed the goods over to the guy who did the datatag and police clearance and whoever did the crating. I confirmed that they were and really appreciate this level of service.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 07:18:40 pm »
Sounds good, think I'll be using them when they come back to me.

Will just have to get my head around costs generally, I suppose. You give away so much when you emigrate, a bit frustrating.

Now I know how people feel when I send them a quote to fix their non-compliant electrical systems when they are leaving .............  :o :biggrin:

Offline dirtWarp

• I crash like a champ!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 08:45:21 pm »

Hi dirtWarp,

Pleased to hear you have a garage there, hardly a normal thing in average-NL so consider yourself lucky.
If you rent such separate in for instance Amsterdam you may pay up to 1500(!) per month, surely you know this, and I dunno where Cracker will settle down once there.
If in for instance central Utrecht he may end up in a second floor house having not even space to park his bicycle inside, or in a flat (zero wrong with that!), and only a few of those have covered or inside parking for bicycles.
If he settles somewhere rural, Hattem as another example, then renting a house with garage is possible albeit it'll cost him more.

RoadTax/Wegenbelasting I know can be a serious amount at least for cars, and this depends on the fuel, diesel and LPG more costly.
Bikes will be less, and I know one may 'park' it over winter i.e not pay this tax - therefore my 2nd post.

If one buys a bike there, even a recent used one, then for those riding only a few trips per year renting likely is cheaper, plus one tends to ride the latest models too.
Factoring in depreciation is always a bugger, and All Risk insurance costs way more than WA only (3rd Party basically) so it depends how one does it.
Yeah, Cracker's bike ain't new anymore so this may not be valid for him, but if he wants to own a new2him one there then there may be an alternative, hence my oddball suggestion.

Also I was referring to offroad riding to Cracker (I think that's his thing?), and the NL TET is mostly tarred but probably all of it.
It's a scenic route yes but tarred, the bit below for instance (taken from https://transeurotrail.org/netherlands/#6.38/52.293/5.627 ) I know to be 100% tarred i.e zero off in it.
Go down with Google Earth and you'll see it's true, there's even some Provincial roads in it, at Westervoort for instance.
I know this because it used to be my stomping ground, and I drove most of it again less than 2 weeks ago in a car.
So, for any decent offroad Cracker has to travel a bit hence my remark, the jackpot probably being Spain and Portugal - and this means that for him wanting some off he'll has to plan ahead rather than what I assume he does now as a spur of the moment thing.

Mind you though, I've heard from a mutual friend you're a good off rider, so I presume you know where the off bits can be found.
I have also understood here Cracker ain't no slouch either... so perhaps contact the dude once he's there?
Can only be fun I reckon  :thumleft:
Given Crackers current setup, my assumption was that he will have
1- a garage
2- an old'sh adv bike to warrant the same cheap insurance that I have.

I've ridden the NL TET south of Utrecht and I must say, it was nice. Mostly off road and thick sand with nice forest sections.
I will gladly take my ZA friends on that trip.

Those that's been on my trips will know what that means.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 09:52:04 pm »
Well, it looks like I better keep the E07 on for a while longer ....................  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice to see you know the dirt roads as well, would love to join you one day   :thumleft:

I won't have a garage when I first arrive but will just use storage until I'm set up. And, yes it's an oldish bike, a 2005. I'll keep posting here as things progress.

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 09:37:04 am »
Hey Dirt Warp, I may very well take you up on that offer to show me around the Holland TET. Its a hop skip and a jump over the channel for me. Have you done the full TET in Holland?
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Swazi Phil

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2020, 11:16:13 am »
The quote sounds about right, i'm sure it will include the crate? these have to be heat treated ect to international specs if made of wood, and then at the destination side you paying in Euros which hurts us at the moment... but as mentioned above it all depends on whats included, port fees ect, which I think they do include usually,  but this you will have to check..
Four wheels move the body, two wheels moves the soul.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 11:46:46 am »
Right, so I've contaced Econotrans, they sounded pro.

I've also received an e-mail from Phoenix Cargo Services. Not sure how they got hold of me but I asume they're an agent for an on-line query I did with someone else.

Pricing is all pretty much the same, so will use someone that's recommended.

So far, this looks like it's gonna happen. I can't think too far ahead, there are too many permutations. I'll worry about the bike's new home later.

Charging around the English countryside in the summer, quaffing tea ......................... like XTZFegen says "fuck it, it's only money" ..............

Practical Cracker say's I better buy a decent tent though, I can't afford them B&Bs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:47:53 am by Cracker »

Offline dirtWarp

• I crash like a champ!
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2020, 03:38:59 pm »
Hey Dirt Warp, I may very well take you up on that offer to show me around the Holland TET. Its a hop skip and a jump over the channel for me. Have you done the full TET in Holland?
Nice :)

I've done parts of the Northern section on my way to Sweden and parts of the sections to the south of Utrecht.

You really should join us to Sweden too. That is next level

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 09:13:45 am »
Nice :)

I've done parts of the Northern section on my way to Sweden and parts of the sections to the south of Utrecht.

You really should join us to Sweden too. That is next level

That sounds most excellent. I wont Hijack Crackers thread further but will PM you. :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 05:11:43 pm »
No, no ..................... carry on. If I'm there at the same time I might just join yous  :thumleft:

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 05:12:38 pm »
Dirtwarp, any idea what I need to register my bike there?