Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sending a bike overseas - permanently  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: Sending a bike overseas - permanently
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 06:34:55 pm »
I'm getting mixed messages from the transport people. They can't seem to answer my question directly or don't understand. Losing a bit of faith in them.

Can anyone here help with an answer: -

I want to take my bike from here and re-register in the Netherlands but will be travelling through the UK in transit. I will collect the bike wherever in the UK and then ride it to NL and then live there. Amen.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.  ::)
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Aircooled

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 07:54:07 pm »
Maybe one word answer, Brexit?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2020, 09:51:40 am »
I will ask around for you

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2020, 07:34:37 pm »
I'm getting mixed messages from the transport people. They can't seem to answer my question directly or don't understand. Losing a bit of faith in them.

Can anyone here help with an answer: -

I want to take my bike from here and re-register in the Netherlands but will be travelling through the UK in transit. I will collect the bike wherever in the UK and then ride it to NL and then live there. Amen.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.  ::)

Speak to Henry at Freight Factory. He was able to tell me within a day or two what the situation was with my bike and the USA.

www.freightfactory.co.za

Whatever tou do, stay far far away from Seabrook Forward and Handling in Cape Town. They buggered me around for a long time, telling me I could bring my bike to the USA, no problem. Only to find out after I got all the SAPS paperwork/microdots and booked etc that it would not be possible at all. They would have shipped that bike and let me deal with it not being allowed into the USA. That cost me so much money as I only arranged a container for .y stuff due to the bike. Otherwise I would have sold all my stuff in SA as it then would not have been financially viable.
Time for an Adventure

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2020, 10:38:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about your mishap there, gingerball, but what went wrong?

Why'd you need microdot anyway? And why was it not possible to ship your bike to the US?

Like a lot of things that we don't know much about, the more we know about the pitfalls, the more we know about what can work.

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2020, 02:37:16 am »
My plan was to take all my household goods (excluding electrical cause the US is 110V) and my bike in one container - it was financially viable when looking at what you would sell your stuff 2nd hand for in SA and what it would cost to replace them in the US with new stuff - also, its nice to have some of your own stuff around you in a foreign place.

So, I did some asking and Seabrook's name came up as a good shipping company. I asked from the beginning if the USA would allow my 2004 1150GSA into the country. "No problem, we have done this MANY times before" the salesman assured me, but he would double check confirm and get back to me. I followed up more than a few times to confirm that this is in fact the case as other people were telling me very definitely that it would not be possible to import my GSA to the US - many others have tried and failed. But Seabrook's guy keeps assuring me it would be no problem - while still not being able to double check. In the meantime I was busy de-registering my bike, getting it micro-dotted, getting the SAPS clearance certificate (all required for export to the USA).  Time and money.

After a few other people mentioned it would not be possible to take my bike I phone up Freight Factory for a 2nd opinion. Henry tells me upfront he doubts I will be able to export the bike, but he would check and get back to me. Two days later Henry calls back and says sorry, but no, they wont allow the bike into the USA. By that time I already booked my plane tickets. I then had to, in a rush, courier by bike to a friend in Jhb so that he could find a buyer and sell it on my behalf. I thus found another shipping company (Execu-move - a great company, but they dont do bikes) to handle my household stuff as there was no time left to sell anything. Unknown to me, Seabrook had a management split and it seems some good people left, causing the problems.

If I knew from the start I would not be able to export my bike, I would have sold all my stuff and only taken a few personal items, as the bike along with the other stuff made it financial viable. 2nd hand bikes here in the US are expensive.

The USA requires that all vehicles have the DOT and EPA stickers/certifications, if you want to bring them into the USA. It would cost too much to convert the bike to get the DOT and EPA approval, more than the bike would be worth. I personally think its just a way to protect their local markets.

Anyhoo - Henry said that the US was the most difficult to get vehicles into (unless they are older than 21 ir 23 yrs - classics), then Canada, then OZ & NZ and lastly the UK. Apparently the UK is rather easy and with no fuss. I dont know about Holland - but give him a call and hear what he has to say about it. He treated me well and responded quickly with the correct info. Check out their website and ask around.

Hope that helps - typing fast as we need to go for dinner with the in-laws.
Time for an Adventure

The following users thanked this post: Cracker

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2020, 08:23:48 am »
Thanks for the feedback, even though it's not a good-news story.

I'm gonna get the micro-dotting and police clearance done anyway.

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2020, 08:29:52 am »
My plan was to take all my household goods (excluding electrical cause the US is 110V) and my bike in one container - it was financially viable when looking at what you would sell your stuff 2nd hand for in SA and what it would cost to replace them in the US with new stuff - also, its nice to have some of your own stuff around you in a foreign place.

So, I did some asking and Seabrook's name came up as a good shipping company. I asked from the beginning if the USA would allow my 2004 1150GSA into the country. "No problem, we have done this MANY times before" the salesman assured me, but he would double check confirm and get back to me. I followed up more than a few times to confirm that this is in fact the case as other people were telling me very definitely that it would not be possible to import my GSA to the US - many others have tried and failed. But Seabrook's guy keeps assuring me it would be no problem - while still not being able to double check. In the meantime I was busy de-registering my bike, getting it micro-dotted, getting the SAPS clearance certificate (all required for export to the USA).  Time and money.

After a few other people mentioned it would not be possible to take my bike I phone up Freight Factory for a 2nd opinion. Henry tells me upfront he doubts I will be able to export the bike, but he would check and get back to me. Two days later Henry calls back and says sorry, but no, they wont allow the bike into the USA. By that time I already booked my plane tickets. I then had to, in a rush, courier by bike to a friend in Jhb so that he could find a buyer and sell it on my behalf. I thus found another shipping company (Execu-move - a great company, but they dont do bikes) to handle my household stuff as there was no time left to sell anything. Unknown to me, Seabrook had a management split and it seems some good people left, causing the problems.

If I knew from the start I would not be able to export my bike, I would have sold all my stuff and only taken a few personal items, as the bike along with the other stuff made it financial viable. 2nd hand bikes here in the US are expensive.

The USA requires that all vehicles have the DOT and EPA stickers/certifications, if you want to bring them into the USA. It would cost too much to convert the bike to get the DOT and EPA approval, more than the bike would be worth. I personally think its just a way to protect their local markets.

Anyhoo - Henry said that the US was the most difficult to get vehicles into (unless they are older than 21 ir 23 yrs - classics), then Canada, then OZ & NZ and lastly the UK. Apparently the UK is rather easy and with no fuss. I dont know about Holland - but give him a call and hear what he has to say about it. He treated me well and responded quickly with the correct info. Check out their website and ask around.

Hope that helps - typing fast as we need to go for dinner with the in-laws.

Well that answers my question... guess Iíll have to sell my 2005 BMW 1150 GSA. Was planing to taking it with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245016.new#new
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245017.new#new

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2020, 08:49:17 am »

First chat to Henry and let him tell you what is required. They ship bikes and cars for a living. You just might not need to spend all that money and time on the paperwork for Holland.
Time for an Adventure

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2020, 08:52:20 am »

Well that answers my question... guess Iíll have to sell my 2005 BMW 1150 GSA. Was planing to taking it with me

Yup, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Where in the US will you be moving to?
Time for an Adventure

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2020, 09:35:49 am »

Have a read here

https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/voertuigen/motor/invoeren/invoeren-vanuit-land-buiten-eu--of-eva-land

https://www.rdw.nl/zakelijk/branches/bedrijven/individuele-goedkeuring-aanvragen

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Cracker

Offline neil-ph

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2020, 09:51:31 am »
Was sent this information.......
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:52:15 am by neil-ph »
Never hesitate to take that ride. Ride safe, ride often and ride far. The soul demands it.

Offline allan.cawood

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2020, 10:26:48 am »

Yup, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Where in the US will you be moving to?

Connecticut

2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245016.new#new
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245017.new#new

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2020, 07:30:05 am »

Have a read here

https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/voertuigen/motor/invoeren/invoeren-vanuit-land-buiten-eu--of-eva-land

https://www.rdw.nl/zakelijk/branches/bedrijven/individuele-goedkeuring-aanvragen

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks Pumbaa  :thumleft:

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2020, 06:25:22 pm »
Hey Dirt Warp, I may very well take you up on that offer to show me around the Holland TET. Its a hop skip and a jump over the channel for me. Have you done the full TET in Holland?
Nice :)

I've done parts of the Northern section on my way to Sweden and parts of the sections to the south of Utrecht.

You really should join us to Sweden too. That is next level

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

That sounds most excellent. I wont Hijack Crackers thread further but will PM you. :thumleft:

Video of our previous trip: