Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Show us what you made  (Read 7931 times)

Offline Exploratio

• Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
Re: Show us what you made
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2020, 10:52:05 pm »
Just a question.
The blank you are using, hardened already?
If not, do not go too thin on the edge. Warpage a real danger.

Nope not hardened yet, and I have left about 0.7mm on the edge, I am aware of warping during the hardening.
On my previous utility knife I left about 1mm before hardening and it took me a ton of work to get the last edge done.

I still want to make a little soup can furnace but with the lockdown I need some refractory cement.
On the utility I struggled to get the blade to non magnetic with only my MAPP torch. I had to use my gas camping stove from the bottom and the MAPP from the top.
I can relate to the effort to work with the hardened blade. Files just skate over it. Diamond files work but are VERY expensive. Ever tried drilling a hole through a hardened blade?
Please show the final product.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • This site contains cookies.....
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2020, 12:05:25 pm »
Made this while I was an apprentice, 25 years ago....blade is a flattened timken bearing, handle rosewood I got from my grandfather, copper from a valve spindle.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2020, 03:26:46 pm »
Just a question.
The blank you are using, hardened already?
If not, do not go too thin on the edge. Warpage a real danger.

Nope not hardened yet, and I have left about 0.7mm on the edge, I am aware of warping during the hardening.
On my previous utility knife I left about 1mm before hardening and it took me a ton of work to get the last edge done.

I still want to make a little soup can furnace but with the lockdown I need some refractory cement.
On the utility I struggled to get the blade to non magnetic with only my MAPP torch. I had to use my gas camping stove from the bottom and the MAPP from the top.

You can mix silica san or really clean river sand, 50/50 with plaster o Paris to make a type of refractory cement. It won't last long, but it is cheap and can be easily replaced. You can get Plaster of Paris from your pharmacy, which will be open - just get some Panado's at the same time :)

I'm not sure what steel that is that you got from KMTS, but beware that to heat treat stainless steel is not as simple as high carbon steel. Your temperature needs to be very accurate, and the temp is dependant on the type of steel. Also, when heat treating SS, the blade must be sealed in a heavy duty foil, as it does not like oxygen.
y
'69 Model.

Offline Takashi

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2020, 05:02:06 pm »
You can mix silica san or really clean river sand, 50/50 with plaster o Paris to make a type of refractory cement. It won't last long, but it is cheap and can be easily replaced. You can get Plaster of Paris from your pharmacy, which will be open - just get some Panado's at the same time :)

I'm not sure what steel that is that you got from KMTS, but beware that to heat treat stainless steel is not as simple as high carbon steel. Your temperature needs to be very accurate, and the temp is dependant on the type of steel. Also, when heat treating SS, the blade must be sealed in a heavy duty foil, as it does not like oxygen.
y

Thanks for the info Rossdog.

The blade is 440C Stainless which needs to get up to 1000 Celsius and quenched in warm oil.
I don't have a thermometer that will reach 1000C so I heated the blade until non-magnetic which I believe is about 800C and then went a couple of shades brighter.
I am well aware that this is not really the correct way of doing this but that is the best I can do at this time.

I am thinking of getting this blade heat treated by someone with better tools as I want is done right this time.

Offline Exploratio

• Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2020, 05:36:52 pm »

y

Thanks for the info Rossdog.

The blade is 440C Stainless which needs to get up to 1000 Celsius and quenched in warm oil.
I don't have a thermometer that will reach 1000C so I heated the blade until non-magnetic which I believe is about 800C and then went a couple of shades brighter.
I am well aware that this is not really the correct way of doing this but that is the best I can do at this time.

I am thinking of getting this blade heat treated by someone with better tools as I want is done right this time.
KMTS does heat treatment at a minimal fee.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:38:24 pm by Exploratio »
XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline Takashi

« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2020, 05:49:30 pm »

Good to know, thanks.

I will take it to them along with another knife after lockdown.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2020, 08:56:07 am »

Good to know, thanks.

I will take it to them along with another knife after lockdown.

Good to know!
'69 Model.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2020, 11:01:29 am »
Made this while I was an apprentice, 25 years ago....blade is a flattened timken bearing, handle rosewood I got from my grandfather, copper from a valve spindle.
Stunning knive Chicco!! :thumleft: :drif:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2020, 04:28:01 pm »
Here are a few little projects I've been busy with. Here's a little hunter, which can be used as a bird & trout, or a small EDC.
'69 Model.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2020, 04:32:42 pm »
Here's a big sturdy hunter I forged out of an old plough shear. handle is sable horn.
'69 Model.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2020, 04:33:48 pm »
With its sheath.
'69 Model.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2020, 04:36:37 pm »
A little pattern weld paring knife.
'69 Model.

Offline Exploratio

• Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2020, 06:02:44 pm »
Here's a big sturdy hunter I forged out of an old plough shear. handle is sable horn.
That is a beautifull knife. I love the handle.

XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline threeper

« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2020, 07:43:16 pm »
so to all you talented chaps

i am looking for a couple knives for the kitchen to make my wife happy and i love the idea of stuff made by real people.
i am also looking for a fixed blade carry blade

anyone keen?

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2020, 08:26:02 pm »
so to all you talented chaps

i am looking for a couple knives for the kitchen to make my wife happy and i love the idea of stuff made by real people.
i am also looking for a fixed blade carry blade

anyone keen?

Tell me what you want  :thumleft:
'69 Model.

The following users thanked this post: threeper

Offline evansv

« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2020, 10:42:40 am »
Love the beautiful knives you guys have made! Might try & get into knife making at some stage.

DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2020, 05:29:22 pm »
I've learnt one thing in this fred, if I was working for correctional services I would not allow any of you in the machine shop cause you would kill the whole jail with all the knives you would make!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline DSRider.SA

« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2020, 05:30:12 pm »
Here are a few little projects I've been busy with. Here's a little hunter, which can be used as a bird & trout, or a small EDC.

Really like this knife  :thumleft:

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2020, 07:05:26 pm »
I had this made for our kitchen staff recently
CPM S30V steel with micarta