Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Show us what you made  (Read 8287 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Show us what you made
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2020, 12:18:55 am »
Stuur maar vir my ook :imaposer:  im not concerned about Rossí capabilities, im concerned about me not being able to articulate my needs.. :biggrin:  let me mill this over for a while...

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2020, 05:20:09 am »
Stuur maar vir my ook :imaposer:  im not concerned about Rossí capabilities, im concerned about me not being able to articulate my needs.. :biggrin:  let me mill this over for a while...

Moennie stress nie, vat jou tyd, weet net, jy sal hom nodig he en jy sal hom gebruik.   :biggrin:  Maar ek staan 2de in lyn as jy hom nie wil he nie, ek het altyd plek vir nog een.    :lol8:   :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Takashi

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2020, 07:05:46 pm »
Small utility knife I finished earlier today.

Steel is 440C
Only hand tools used so took forever as you can imagine.
Scales are left over plastic from a different project.

Hardening was done with a hiking stove and MAPP brazing torch into old motor oil.
Skates a file pretty well will have to see what the edge retention is like once I start using it.

I decided that if I complete 3x knifes with hand tools and want to continue then I will make a kiln and belt grinder to make it easier.

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2020, 08:20:12 pm »
Small utility knife I finished earlier today.

Steel is 440C
Only hand tools used so took forever as you can imagine.
Scales are left over plastic from a different project.

Hardening was done with a hiking stove and MAPP brazing torch into old motor oil.
Skates a file pretty well will have to see what the edge retention is like once I start using it.

I decided that if I complete 3x knifes with hand tools and want to continue then I will make a kiln and belt grinder to make it easier.

Brilliant skills there Takashi.   :thumleft: :thumleft:
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

The following users thanked this post: Takashi

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2020, 08:35:02 pm »
What Takashi is doing is basically what I am doing.  Honing my "skills" to see if I must continue with the forging process and the like.  Tomorrow the scales will go on and see where I am.   To be honest, at this stage I am battling with the grinding process to get the right edge I want.     :eek7:   

Offline Wayne

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2020, 09:17:25 pm »
What Takashi is doing is basically what I am doing.  Honing my "skills" to see if I must continue with the forging process and the like.  Tomorrow the scales will go on and see where I am.   To be honest, at this stage I am battling with the grinding process to get the right edge I want.     :eek7:   
I took fitting and turning at school. Loved the theory but absolutely sucked at shaping the cutting bits for lathe work. This is what keeps me from trying this. Think I am going to battle with the grinding process and achieve symmetry.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline briv

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2020, 03:39:07 pm »
Nr 2  :biggrin: and it's getting slightly easier  O0. Moet nou nog net kos maak!
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2020, 03:43:18 pm »
Nr 2  :biggrin: and it's getting slightly easier  O0. Moet nou nog net kos maak!

Baie netjies.   :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2020, 04:41:49 am »
Man  :drif:

This thread is starting to motivate me....  :sip:

I have a couple of old lawnmower blades in my workshop that may require a bit of reshaping and polishing  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2020, 03:23:32 am »
So this afternoon I made a start.

I could only get 17cm of steel out of a mower blade because of the hole in the middle, and the blade is twisted at the ends and "cupped" all along its length. I'll look out for some old files at the pawn shops...

Drew a template and spray painted around it, cut it out with an angle grinder.

Then heated up the end of the handle with my propane torch, and managed to get the twist out.

Used my belt sander to get the outline right, then started "flatting" the blade as it still had some "cupping" along the length.

Got one side done, then on the other side a I had a small "oopsie" and ended up with my finger in the belt sander  :eek7:

Not too serious, but I decided to call it a day. I'll get back to it another day and show my progress  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2020, 05:43:19 am »
That's the way to go.   :thumleft:

Offline WeeStrom

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Weeeeee!
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2020, 11:23:42 am »
The fixed blade has arrived, time for a handle!

These scales are just temporary prototypes, carved with the folder. The wood is from a piece of wild fig of sort. Nice and soft so easy carving.

The side profile is as per the shape of the tang as it arrived, but I might end up building it up higher towards the rear of the spine.

I am testing out various cross sections as I work it down. I am whittling all kinds of hardwoods with the fixed blade, switching between the grips that will be used for the hardest work. When I feel a spot of pressure or discomfort, I'll take the folder and re-shape the handle incrementally until I am happy. There is a lot to be said for lateral palm-swell on the handle when it comes to comfort.
In the process the handle also developed all kinds of subtle asymmetries, something you are unlikely to find on a production knife.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2020, 03:33:09 am »
I put in some more time with my first-ever knife build this evening after work.

I have the cutting edge angles almost done.

I can see that the slight curve along the length of the blade (maybe "cupping" is a better term?) is causing me to have slightly different angles on the sides.

I will give the sides a little more "flatting" during my next session  :sip:

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2020, 08:34:55 am »
That's very neat Mr Zog! Nice consistent bevel you ground/filed there. Did you use a file? You probably know the trick of using a simple filing jig, or making a jig for an angle grinder? If not, I'll share. If the bug bites you proper (which it probably will), a belt grinder is the way to go.
'69 Model.

Offline DSRider.SA

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2020, 09:03:58 am »
That's very neat Mr Zog! Nice consistent bevel you ground/filed there. Did you use a file? You probably know the trick of using a simple filing jig, or making a jig for an angle grinder? If not, I'll share. If the bug bites you proper (which it probably will), a belt grinder is the way to go.

Please share the angle grinder jig.

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2020, 11:13:23 am »
Yes please share the jig  :biggrin:
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline briv

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2020, 11:32:49 am »
Number 3 in progress  ;)
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2020, 03:27:19 am »

Thanks Ross!

I admit to owning and using a belt sander... it isn't ideal for knifemaking as the rotary disc side is at the level of the bottom of the belt, making it impossible to grind the bevel on one side.

So I clamped a short spirit level to the bed to raise it up enough to clear the disc...  :peepwall: :imaposer:

I'll take a pic or two of my setup next time I am out in the workshop.  :thumleft:

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2020, 09:16:14 am »
I don't have time to reply in full right now, but basically a file jig is simply clamping a file onto a straight and sturdy rod or pipe with hose clamps. You them screw an eye bolt through a plank through which the rod/pipe is fed to the height you desire (for the correct angle). The knife is then clamped to the same plank. This allows you to file at an consistent and accurate angle.

With an angle grinder jig, you also can use an eye rod. The principle is the same as over, but here, you use a length of threaded rod (handy bar) which you screw into the baby grinder where the handle fits in. You then grind in a "pendulum" pattern with the grinder rather than going up and down like you would with a file. For this reason, you should put a washer and nut on the rod on either side of the eye bolt, and ensure the eye bolt can swivel.

Not sure if my explanation makes sense? There are quite a few tutorial on YouTube about file jigs, but as far as I know (I stand to be corrected), the angle grinder jig was my idea (unlikely though  :biggrin:)
'69 Model.

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2020, 09:26:09 am »

Something similar ?
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.