Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: South Africa to Europe via West Coast - Feb 2020  (Read 1446 times)

Offline nicolasbahm

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Re: South Africa to Europe via West Coast - Feb 2020
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 12:40:26 pm »
Hello again!
Finally in Livingstone I decided to take a few days off and make a proper visit to both sides of the falls. Due to Zambia's rainy season, they were flowing at it's best, so it was quite a spectacle!
Not a big Simpson's fan, but lots of people told me that David Livingstone's statue reminded them of Jebediah Springfield!
On the second day I crossed into Zimbabwe, also with the excuse to try one Zambezi Lager (I'll try to keep up with the beer pictures, I actually use an instagram account @agameofbeers where I just post my own collection of local beers I've tried from around the world).
From my point of view, the falls and walking paths for the visit seem a bit better prepared for tourism from the Zimbabwe side, same as Victoria compared to Livingstone, but all the prices are in USD and about x1.5 timer the price of things!

Offline nicolasbahm

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:39 pm »
I had intentions of getting deeper into Zambia, but taking into account the weather and that every km was going to take me further away from the west coast, I decided to head back to Botswana, and later on Namibia.
People say Friday 13 usually means bad luck, but even if it rained for most of the day, I managed to spot 27 elephants from Kazungula to Nata, including this family with three little ones (I learnt my lesson and decided to keep safe distance!).
After a night visiting my friends Rupert and Silvia at Eselbe Camp in Nata, made another stretch towards Maun, where I met some fellow Overlanders at the Old Bridge Campsite. Here I started hearing to peoples accounts that borders where already shutting down (apparently Angola already had) and even some people trying to cancel their trips and rush back to Europe (not judging at all, just wondering if they do believe they will be safer there).
The next morning I decided to go for a 510 km stretch towards the Buitepos/Trans-Kalahari Border with Namibia. I admit it was a long and boring road, mostly dodging cows, goats and donkeys, but at least less potholes than on the Nata-Maun road.
They checked my body temperature before entering Namibia and made me pay Road Tax (196 rand for motorcycle), but both sides did not even take 45 minutes in total. My stop for the night was at East Gate Rest Camp, literally next to the border. Had a decent pizza at the restaurant but most importantly, a cold Windhoek Draught.
The next morning I woke up under the attack of this huge mutant bugs all over the tent. Harmless, but took some time to take them out from all my luggage!
Made it into Windhoek despite of the rain. I'm still really unlucky finding host on couchsurfing, so ended up setting "camp" at Urban Camp, apparently one of the most popular options in town. Histeria levels here were higher than in other places, people paying tons of money for tickets back to Europe (I expected them to be cheaper than usual) and storing their vehicles. I decided to apply for the Angola E-Visa anyway but wait in town for a few days just in case I need to get to the embassy. We'll see how everything develops, but excited to get back in the road!

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 02:56:03 pm »
Those mutant bugs look like "koringkrieke" (directly translates to wheat or corn cricket) "Acanthoplus discoidalis"

Europe might not be safer if you hope to avoid the virus, but they're probably better prepared to deal with more serious cases of the disease. In Africa, a person's own immune system will have to do the job, as ever.

I hope the borders aren't closed, but with all the hysteria and people fleeing back to Europe, it might be quieter. All the best for your travels into Africa.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 03:38:56 pm »
Buy a book named Riding My Bicycle Around South Africa by Riaan Manser, it should give you some guidance.

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 01:32:34 pm »
Around Africa on my bicycle. :thumleft:

Offline Vaufi

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 05:38:05 pm »
Now, that's a proper beer: Windhoek! So rather enjoy it for a while and don't travel too fast. Europe has closed its borders to all Non-EU citizens  :o
Good luck on your trip!
Only when we pause to wonder
do we go beyond the limits of our little lives.
(Rod McKuen)