Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buffalo Rally - Port Elizabeth. From many moons ago.  (Read 1769 times)

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
Re: Buffalo Rally - Port Elizabeth. From many moons ago.
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2020, 11:26:44 am »
From the Nomads website....1980 Maseru.

Ek sien Groenie was ook daar....  :peepwall:
‘I just get up every morning and go out. And I don’t let the old man in,’ Clint Eastwood

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2020, 11:47:15 am »
Ok the story of the Maseru Buff started in Hilbrow.
I have this naughty friend call Kassie Pheiffer.
Now Kassie was a bit thirsty in his days. He used to say why waste you money to drink and then stop somewhere in the middle.
You drink you fall over and that is value for money. :imaposer:

So we were PEOPLE watching at High Point Square.  Yes there were the Fontana 24 hour chicken is sold and where certain bikers rev their engines when the Harikrishna is prying and making music.

There Kassie met up with a girl....he was like that. Out of the blue he would pick up a quick chick.
He decided she must go with him to the Maseru Buff.

Me the ordentlike ou was just going to kuier...don't need problem stuff to tag along.

Kassie also organised with our Vryheid bikers to meet at a certain time at Ladybrand so that we could cross the border together and pitch our tents.

I was riding my Suzuki GS 1000 E and Kassie on his Suzuki GS 750.

So we set off from the single quarters in Germiston and decided to ride the roads that would have the most pubs.
First stop was not far and we found the first pup and had a few.
I remember the route were more or less Heilbron,  Lindley, Senekal, Marquard, Clocolan towards Ladybrand. We HAD to stop in every little town to cool down.  Bike riding is hard work. :drif:

So with all this kuiering along the route we fell behind in time.
Kassie suddenly realised that we were still a LONG way from Ladybrand and we had to meet the other guys at 14h00.

So Kassie decided that I had to pillion his chick because now we had to make up time and my 1000 cc will easily carry his chick at breakneck speeds towards Ladybrand.
See Kassie is a few years older than me and Kassie made most of the decisions....like an older BROTHER should.

Now my GS 1000 E had a nice Kerker exhust that came up nice and high around the back footrests.
So Kassie Chick had a pair of boots with about a 100mm heel.

We gave it gas and rode the remaining 200 km in record time to arrive at Ladybrand 2 minutes past two.
When the chick got off my bike she fell flat on her back.  Shit I thought she would have sobered up a bit after a 190 km/h dash across the Free state roads. Turns out she was sober but the Kerker got a bit hot and melted the one heel completely so that when she put her foot down it was like stepping in a big black hole.

Karplaks plat op haar gat :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2020, 12:02:29 pm »
 :laughing4:

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2020, 12:21:54 pm »
At the Buff we did the normal things bikers do at a rally.
Drink drink drink and talk bikes...and chicks :thumleft:

So Kassies chick did not want to pomp on Friday night. So he kicked her out of his tent because it's a ride for a ride  :laughing4:

So on Saturday Kassie was a free man and true to his word he drank to get value for his money

But Kassie is not a fighter but he likes to stir the pot.
Kassie is also not very strong, a bit on the small size, but the heart of a Fox terrier.

So Kassie decided after a few dops that he is STRONG and he is the worlds arm wrestling champion.
Kassie challenges all the dronk okes sommer so on the ground to proof his talents.
When Kassie loses to an opponent he calls me.... BOET... BOET kom druk die man.
Then I have to go an lay on the ground and win his battle for him.

By late afternoon we were a bit vrot, full of dust and full of braaf.

Then Kassie spotted his next opponent.

But this opponent said that he is not lying on the ground we need to do it at a table like real people.

Kassie off course as the arm wrestling champ, due to me making up for his losses...( see if he did not win a match and I had to finish his opponent it counted towards a win for Kassie)...., agreed to this new contestant and found a suitable table.

Well this guy won poor old Kassie sommer 3 times in 10 seconds flat.

Then I hear... BOET BOET kom druk die man.....
So I take my position at the table.

Slam bam thank you ma...this oke wins me as well.  Our first defeat for the weekend.

No I say it is because I cannot do it at a table... lets go lie on the ground,
But the new Buff arm wrestling champ wanted nothing of this.

By this time we were really vrot and gave up our desire to be the world arm wrestling champions.

Then on Sunday we headed home.

Somewhere in a small town we stopped.  By now we were thirsty,,, very very thirsty for some or other reason and Kassie had to have a coke.
We were enjoying the coke when a farmer in a bakkie stopped behind the bikes.

He got out and said.... Is dit tog nie die twee fokken arm drukkers van die Buff nie.
We had a good laugh and a chat.

Moral of the story... moenie arm druk met 'n REGTE boertjie nie...veral nie as jy ook nog lekker gesuip is nie.

Wonder what happend to Kassies chick.... she did not ride back with us

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2020, 12:40:14 pm »
I think I must scan and post some of my 1981 Buff pics here. Just for a laugh.

Sure do :thumleft:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2020, 12:51:24 pm »
Where the old rallies were far better than todays ones, is in viewing the bikes present.

One could take a Suzuki GT750, fit clip-on handlebars, 3 expansion boxes, a "racing" tailpiece, and have a very special motorcycle.

Today? How on earth do you improve on a modern bike? Efficient but o, so boring.

Offline eberhard

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2020, 01:02:14 pm »
You ask the owner as to who was the computer expert that worked on his bike. Alternatively the owner puts up a cardboard stipulating the software installed.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2020, 01:12:13 pm »
It wasn't Kassie's chick but I went to the '81 Buff one-up and returned home two-up  ::) Long story....it was actually an ex who'd had a fall out with her new BF....

The ride back to CT was cold....OMF...the ex was actually in tears from the cold.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2020, 01:15:07 pm »
Thanks for taking her home  :pot: :peepwall: :laughing4:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2020, 01:38:46 pm »
Wonder what happend to Kassies chick.... she did not ride back with us

:imaposer: :imaposer:

This is farkin funny
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2020, 02:07:10 pm »
You ask the owner as to who was the computer expert that worked on his bike. Alternatively the owner puts up a cardboard stipulating the software installed.

:imaposer: and how the ECU was "flashed", and a power commander fitted.

Back in the day it was big-bore kits and smoothbores and four-into-ones, or porting and chambers, depending whether you were on 2 or 4 stroke. :thumleft:

Offline Odd Dog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2020, 02:41:10 pm »
been there done that got the T shirt on a 350 Suzi Rebel II, 2T.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline eberhard

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2020, 03:08:29 pm »
Back in the day it was big-bore kits and smoothbores and four-into-ones, or porting and chambers, depending whether you were on 2 or 4 stroke. :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft: Modern technology killed the soul of bikes and biking. Like camping at night in the Richtersveld with an open, self made fire as to sitting at home with a cd displaying a camp fire on your 75” flat screen. 
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7

Offline Dirty Des

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2020, 03:58:10 pm »
Who remembers Mad Martin ....now there was a character.
Did a few of those Buffs in my time.

I do, rode back from the Humewood Buff with him and a few other, Laverda Mirage, vibrator of note! Pulled back in a day to Joburg!
Mad Martin held a Rally in Uppington. my girlfriend of the time won Miss Rally.

Online Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2020, 04:53:56 pm »

:imaposer: and how the ECU was "flashed", and a power commander fitted.

At the old biker rallies boobs were flashed, now its ECU`s..... :pot:
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline arno

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Toppie......Gooi Mielies!!
    • http://www.princealbertcycles .co.za
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2020, 05:00:51 pm »
It was either in 77 or 78 at Humewood when the local mayor decided to visit the camping ground . A biker was loading and unloading his .38 Special and a shot went off hitting the female Mayor in the leg . I remember one of those years a guy who lost the use of his legs was at the Buffalo on a trike . He used to ride into the beer tent and drank everyone under the table , he was strapped to his bike and could not topple over . As a very ordentlike young man from Harrismith I told my ordentlike friend who rode down with me : you just agree with whatever anyone tell us !
Fietse van die verlede: BMW F800GS ,BMW 1150 GS, Honda 305 cc, Honda 400 FOUR, Honda 550 FOUR, BMW 600/6 , DR 650

Tans:  Trapfiets

Offline eberhard

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2020, 05:02:18 pm »
At the old biker rallies boobs were flashed, now its ECU`s..... :pot:

So cold and impersonal.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7

Offline Sabre

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2020, 05:49:34 pm »
I went to the '76 Buff in Bloem. What an experience that was !

I remember the Mad Martin guy.

The lucky draw prize was a new 900Kawa

Pip Freedman tried to give a show, but had to stop due to the noise in the tent

Wow, there were characters !!  :biggrin:
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2020, 07:58:07 pm »
In the mid 80's I had a Yamaha XS750D triple. The Buff was in PE and I managed to get the Friday off. I decided to take the R62 via Oudtshoorn on Thursday afternoon and the rest of the crowd were due to meet me at 10:00 at the triangle intersection near Outeniqua pass.

These were the days of petrol restrictions so I planned to sleep over alongside the road somewhere. Had a couple of dops and a few games of pool in Ashton and hit the road at closing time. Bike was running so lekka that I just kept on riding until it ran out of juice near Barrydale. Pushed it up a few hills and freewheeled down till I met a hill that was too steep.

Not a problem, put the bike on the sidestand, removed my luggage, clambered down the steep embankment and curled up in my sleeping bag on the strip between the embankment and the doringdraad. I was just about to fall asleep when I heard this "crunch/clink" sound from up above. In the moonlight I could just make out the 750 come barrel-rolling straight at me.  HORROR! Even with my arms pinned inside the sleeping bag I managed to do a backward somersault. The bike landed with a THUD exactly where I had been laying!  ::)

I simply put the bike more or less upright and went to bed. About 06:30 the first gang of bikers came past so I clambered up to hitch a ride to the garage. When we got to the garage I heard the first lot say: "Did you see that bike down there? Must have been a moerse prang! The oke must be faarked........"

Sheepishly I admitted "It was me....."
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

The following users thanked this post: NoRush

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2020, 08:04:50 pm »
In the mid 80's I had a Yamaha XS750D triple. The Buff was in PE and I managed to get the Friday off. I decided to take the R62 via Oudtshoorn on Thursday afternoon and the rest of the crowd were due to meet me at 10:00 at the triangle intersection near Outeniqua pass.

These were the days of petrol restrictions so I planned to sleep over alongside the road somewhere. Had a couple of dops and a few games of pool in Ashton and hit the road at closing time. Bike was running so lekka that I just kept on riding until it ran out of juice near Barrydale. Pushed it up a few hills and freewheeled down till I met a hill that was too steep.

Not a problem, put the bike on the sidestand, removed my luggage, clambered down the steep embankment and curled up in my sleeping bag on the strip between the embankment and the doringdraad. I was just about to fall asleep when I heard this "crunch/clink" sound from up above. In the moonlight I could just make out the 750 come barrel-rolling straight at me.  HORROR! Even with my arms pinned inside the sleeping bag I managed to do a backward somersault. The bike landed with a THUD exactly where I had been laying!  ::)

I simply put the bike more or less upright and went to bed. About 06:30 the first gang of bikers came past so I clambered up to hitch a ride to the garage. When we got to the garage I heard the first lot say: "Did you see that bike down there? Must have been a moerse prang! The oke must be faarked........"

Sheepishly I admitted "It was me....."

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: