@Garmin awful service.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWood

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I was fortunate to buy a Garmin Montana 650 GPS unit at a good price over a year ago because a new model was coming out. I run a small tour business and kept it as a spare (I have a few similar units)
I used my new unit on its first trip last week and riding in the rain it took on water and died. It's a Garmin Montana 650 GPS, rated for outdoor and marine adventure.
I contacted the local agent in Cape Town (NavWorld ) who referred me to Garmin in Rosebank (jhb). After being told I need to post the damaged unit to them at my cost I could buy a new unit at a discounted cost. They do no repairs for Garmin products. I'm told this is worldwide.

I had a rant on Facebook and got a message asking for my contact details and the service department would contact me. Now 48 hours later I received the following reply:

Good day John
Thank you for contacting Garmin

Regarding your query, The Montana 650 is now un-supported device and no repair or replacement parts available, in light of this Garmin offers a discounted price on the upgraded version Montana 680 in relation to the Garmin recommended retail price of R9 999 (link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-ZA/ZA/p/523643).

Alternatively as the Montana is unsupported you also have the choice to select any other outdoor unit and get a discounted quote on it also. For official quotes your Montana would need to be booked in.

Kind regards

Ronald Mkandawire
Product Support Associate

So basically Garmin take no responsibility for their product after one year and offer no service / repair option.

The thing is in new condition kept in a genuine Garmin hardcase.

I would think a high end product such as this would have better backup than this or alternatively a warning that they carry no extended warranty for product after one year.
Their solution to their product failure is to sell you another unit at a profit, albeit a slightly lower profit.

I have a couple of Garmins and can do without the unit but it's the principal and really crap attitude.

I guess the GPS is fast going the route of the Walkman and cellphones with free apps have largely taken there place, but I like the separation. Guess it is the last time I go near a Garmin product and will go out of my way to convince mates of the same.

Kind regards
John Wood

Attachments

• pSOA9rj9TxCC5Wk9hVfKKw_thumb_1261.jpg
    pSOA9rj9TxCC5Wk9hVfKKw_thumb_1261.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 500