Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: VAL HOTEL  (Read 909 times)

Offline NEON DEON

VAL HOTEL
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:49:06 am »
After reading about rides to the Hotel , Come Sunday I decided to go check it out . Map shows its just past Greylingstad , stopped on the side of the road to check the map , but signal is bad . saw some bikes coming from the front and decided that they mite have had a early breakfast so follow the road , 4 Bikes came past me as we got going , and I followed . Found the turn off . a bit more of a detour , but made it to the Hotel . lost place next to an railway siding . place is clean . and seems to attract many a biker , Ducati arrived a bit later with about 20 owners  . some Harley guys their as well . Just think that they not geared for a influx of breakfast runners . My breakfast was cold and I hate a cold food . next thing is the price , yes you have unlimited coffee , juice and toast , two eggs , some bacon and sausage . all for R95.00. Hot choc is R20.00 from a machine that had very little milk . all said I think it could be the next destination to ride to. and if the owners wake up to the fact , a little gold mine for them .   
at a guess close to 100 bikes visited VAL HOTEL.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: VAL HOTEL
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 06:56:42 am »
After reading about rides to the Hotel , Come Sunday I decided to go check it out . Map shows its just past Greylingstad , stopped on the side of the road to check the map , but signal is bad . saw some bikes coming from the front and decided that they mite have had a early breakfast so follow the road , 4 Bikes came past me as we got going , and I followed . Found the turn off . a bit more of a detour , but made it to the Hotel . lost place next to an railway siding . place is clean . and seems to attract many a biker , Ducati arrived a bit later with about 20 owners  . some Harley guys their as well . Just think that they not geared for a influx of breakfast runners . My breakfast was cold and I hate a cold food . next thing is the price , yes you have unlimited coffee , juice and toast , two eggs , some bacon and sausage . all for R95.00. Hot choc is R20.00 from a machine that had very little milk . all said I think it could be the next destination to ride to. and if the owners wake up to the fact , a little gold mine for them .   
at a guess close to 100 bikes visited VAL HOTEL.

We stopped there on the way to the Free State / National bash, pleasant enough, beer was cold.  :biggrin:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 07:19:03 am »
You had beer for breakfast, so the temp of the breakfast was just right for you!

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:36:02 am »
I think Val is one of those places that adds a bit of legend tax to their prices. Everyone's heard of it, many have been there, but the place is really no better then most road-side farm stalls. If you're into the anglo boer war history then it's worth a visit though, otherwise  not really imo.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 09:54:41 am »
Its the ride there that counts, not the food. Only Welsh enjoys their breakfast cold, in liqued form

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline 73 Peanut

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 08:13:14 pm »
Its call about the ride and the spirit of being in a old forgotten town that has more police officers than locals

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:33:36 pm »
Expensive and highly over rated these days
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 08:37:20 pm »
I've been there multiple times with different crowds and different situations. All mixed results with regards to food etc. Always enjoyable. I have found that if you phone before and book that the food is better  :patch: the beer is always good.

I proposed to my wife there so it could not have been too bad, or she really does love me  :imaposer:
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 09:25:59 pm »
I proposed to my wife there so it could not have been too bad, or she really does love me  :imaposer:

Third possibility? - was she left with a choice (not you, but out there - was she in a position to refuse?).  :peepwall:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 05:33:23 am »

Third possibility? - was she left with a choice (not you, but out there - was she in a position to refuse?).  :peepwall:
:spitcoffee:  :laughing4: that is a very strong possibility
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline igno

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 09:07:17 pm »
I think Val is one of those places that adds a bit of legend tax to their prices. Everyone's heard of it, many have been there, but the place is really no better then most road-side farm stalls. If you're into the anglo boer war history then it's worth a visit though, otherwise  not really imo.

Ghandi was  locked  up the jail there - many years ago off course.  Jayriding a train.  That is their claim to fame.

But the Hotel is really nice, and romantic if  you are that inclined. Rooms are nice and fairly priced.  Always good for a ride  out on a Sunday or even to make a weekend from it.
ek dra vandag my screen saver

Offline Herkules

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 08:42:23 am »
I've been there multiple times with different crowds and different situations. All mixed results with regards to food etc. Always enjoyable. I have found that if you phone before and book that the food is better  :patch: the beer is always good.

:sip: You had too much beer, it makes me teary so times too.  :bueller: