Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Best GPS for 690?  (Read 232 times)

Offline adamktm

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Best GPS for 690?
« on: February 18, 2020, 05:31:26 pm »
I nearly bought an ETrex 35 the other day, but would like to know what most of you are using. I want to be able to plot routes and load the gpx files to the gps, but if we get to a gate that is locked Id like to try find another route. I guess it will need to support T4A.

Post away guys and let me know if anyone has anything for sale for a bargain  :lol8:
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline geopat

Re: Best GPS for 690?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:38:22 pm »
I use an etrex 30 although it is small but damn its rugged

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:04 am »

The etrex works well. Doesnt take up much space and you dont have to worry about getting power to it.

I used my old Nuvi on my 690 but had to charge it from a powerbank. Never got around to fitting a power socket.
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:17:25 am »

The etrex works well. Doesnt take up much space and you dont have to worry about getting power to it.

I used my old Nuvi on my 690 but had to charge it from a powerbank. Never got around to fitting a power socket.

Etrex with your smartphone as a backup, smartphone preloaded with the maps of the area so you dont need signal. I use an etrex30 or a GPSMap62 before that - GPSMap has a bigger screen, essentially the same functions - Etrex35 is touch screen i think? the others are not. And get a Rost mounting cradle for it - bulletproof....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline adamktm

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 02:26:20 pm »
Thanks guys. Can you load T4A on an Etrex 20? What app do you use to download the maps of the area as back up. I have an iPhone.
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 03:14:58 pm »
Thanks guys. Can you load T4A on an Etrex 20? What app do you use to download the maps of the area as back up. I have an iPhone.

You can load T4A on the Etrex20 - there is also a slot below the batteries if you want to just use it as a second or 3rd mapset - you can select the mapsets from the menu.

Backup maps on your iphone - I use PocketMaps and MapOut - Mapout allows you to plot routes in whatever format (Google Maps, Google Earth, Mapsource, Basecamp) save the file and email it to the yourself with your MapOut email - its then automatically loaded on your phone. It will plot you "live" on the app while there is cell signal, but shows your route while there is no signal - it works quite well, but as I dont want my phone mounted on my handlebars (pretty sure it will get destroyed by the vibrations off-road), I keep it in my pocket/waterpack and just use the GPS with pre-loaded routes....

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline funky_munky

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 04:26:32 pm »
I use a Etrex 30 for a gps with a cheap waterproof phone as backup. With a phone on the handlebars there is a possibility that the camera lense can stuff up due to the vibrations. Etrex is nice because it uses AA batteries which you can pretty much buy from anywhere. two AA batteries last about 3 days. Depending on screen brightness, etc.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:09:31 am »
I use a Etrex 30 for a gps with a cheap waterproof phone as backup. With a phone on the handlebars there is a possibility that the camera lense can stuff up due to the vibrations. Etrex is nice because it uses AA batteries which you can pretty much buy from anywhere. two AA batteries last about 3 days. Depending on screen brightness, etc.

I use the rechargeable AA batteries from Energiser - we sell them actually - and you can run these in your ETrex (there is a setting for different batteries) - I also run a power cable to the ETrex at the same time, it then runs off the power until the power is switched off, then it reverts to the batteries - my ETrex30 does not actually charge the batteries whilst plugged in tho....
The 4-Battery Charger with 4 AA batteries sells at R430.05 less 20% plus VAT
The 2-Battery Mini Charger with 2 AAA batteries is R252.00 less 20% plus VAT

The following users thanked this post: funky_munky