Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why do you break his mirror?  (Read 4966 times)

Offline PompJoggie

Why do you break his mirror?
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:27:41 am »
This morning a Fellow Adv Biker drove in the yellow lane to work and "punished" a truck driver for driving slightly over the yellow lane (because of road congestion) by breaking his mirror. REALLY?
As if, you as a biker have the only right (which is actually illegal) to drive in the yellow lane and there was more than enough space for you to ride!! There is so much wrong with this I am not going to type out the list here..

I so often see a biker splitting lanes going stark crazy mad because the motorists did not have the gap ready when he arrived..  I believe we share the road and it is important to "educate" motorists about our presence on the road to make it a safer place. But splitting lanes or driving in the yellow lane is NOT YOUR RIGHT its a LUXURY...

Remember that we are invisible to motorists and we should be considerate to motorists in the same way we want them to consider us.

If you abuse it you loose it!!

The following users thanked this post: MellowJo, RobC, >>Thump°C, Rynet, Hinksding, sackett

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: Why do you break his mirror?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:31:36 am »
Also remember that the car has the right to his whole lane.
If he is pushing over to your side, he might simply be trying to avoid a pothole or some other obstacle or danger.
By breaking his mirror you are not doing the next biker to come past any favors.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

The following users thanked this post: RobC, >>Thump°C

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:33:42 am »
before anyone looses it, let me get some popcorn
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:12 am »
This morning a Fellow Adv Biker drove in the yellow lane to work and "punished" a truck driver for driving slightly over the yellow lane (because of road congestion) by breaking his mirror. REALLY?
As if, you as a biker have the only right (which is actually illegal) to drive in the yellow lane and there was more than enough space for you to ride!! There is so much wrong with this I am not going to type out the list here..

I so often see a biker splitting lanes going stark crazy mad because the motorists did not have the gap ready when he arrived..  I believe we share the road and it is important to "educate" motorists about our presence on the road to make it a safer place. But splitting lanes or driving in the yellow lane is NOT YOUR RIGHT its a LUXURY...

Remember that we are invisible to motorists and we should be considerate to motorists in the same way we want them to consider us.

You chances of surviving a long time is good. When a car nearly takes me out, I thank him for not actually taking me out.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Kelevra

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 08:48:21 am »
This is not a fellow adv biker, its a commuter, big difference.
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Az

Offline Beebop

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:05:17 am »
I must say that my opinion of "bikers" is fast changing. I am seeing them more as thin skinned, self indulging, life owes me, self appointed judges.
Have a look at the way they ride in traffic, hooting, revving,  giving the finger etc as though they own the road and everyone MUST give them a gap.
And then if they do kick a door or break a mirror, they race ahead into the traffic and wont face a confrontation with the driver. What happened to the rough and tough
biker image where men would shake in their boots if a biker even looked at them.  OK rant over !!!

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Ortos, DouglasN, stcomza

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 09:13:01 am »
Perhaps bikers are getting less tolerant because the cagers are also less tolerant.
Any way, I dont condone this behaviour,
Ride more defensively and be alert.
Giving someone the finger or breaking his mirror is not achieving any thing, It might just get you shot.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 09:21:01 am »
I use my sons CBR250 some days to go see clients etc and its a war zone out there, assholes on their phones not concentrating, changing lanes without indicating, changing lanes for apparently no reason at all, don't get me started with the J walkers and taxi offloading in the middle lane.

I never see the point of these threads, road rage is a matter of perception. If you see a motorist or biker getting upset, the chances are that there was a reason, You may see a biker taking out his frustration on a mirror and thought it unnecessary and the biker may have reacted because he felt he nearly got taken out.. I bet if the biker was on this thread there would be a very different story

its the way it goes.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 09:40:14 am »
Vandalism is no answer
Even if something happened - if you get out unscathed it isn't worth it

Three days ago I rode behind a hooting revving drol. Some car didn't move up quick enough so he kicked the car's door on his way past. I saw him continue this (and riding waaay too fast) till he disappeared ahead
I am expecting to see that yellow GS again lying broken next to the road at some point.
And then everyone will (although no-one should be) surprised and outraged

Lane splitting is a privilege

Here's my simple opinion:
If you break car mirrors (or defend the breaking of mirrors) you are a D00S

There
I said it

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 09:41:20 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: The TRANSPORTER, MellowJo, RobC, kdog, HB 9, Odd Dog, sackett

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 09:45:28 am »
It is just senseless to rant when your on a bike. At that moment your concentration is not where it is meant to be... on the next oke wanting to take you out
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

The following users thanked this post: RobC, wiledog_X, sackett, stcomza

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 09:53:07 am »
It is just senseless to rant when your on a bike. At that moment your concentration is not where it is meant to be... on the next oke wanting to take you out

100%

It was in the early 2000's where I almost killed myself for losing my temper and taking it out on my throttle hand.

On a FJ1200 a couple of seconds later it was wind van agter en genade van bo that caused me to still be here.

It is just not worth it
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 10:09:01 am »
Ek sien hierdie hansworse elke dag met my commute tussen Pretoria Noord en Midrand. 'n Week of twee terug was 'n skobbejak op 'n GS1200 hoogs ontsteld omdat twee van die langafstand toerbusse langs mekaar ry op 'n 5 laan snelweg en hy nie met sy skip tussen die twee busse kan lane-split nie. Hy dink dit toe goed om die bestuurdes te vloek en skel en tekens te wys, waarna die een busbestuurder vir hom toeter druk. Dit het hom so boos dat hy besluit dit is 'n goeie plan om voor die bus in te druk en hom te probeer dwing om af te trek!  :lol8:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 10:17:01 am »
I never see the point of these threads, road rage is a matter of perception. If you see a motorist or biker getting upset, the chances are that there was a reason, You may see a biker taking out his frustration on a mirror and thought it unnecessary and the biker may have reacted because he felt he nearly got taken out.. I bet if the biker was on this thread there would be a very different story

What he has to say is irrelevant to the fact that he was riding in the yellow lane (as per the OP) which is just absolutely moronic in my opinion. If I suddenly need to pull into the yellow lane for whatever reason, I look ahead for other vehicles or pedestrians, I don't look behind me for a c*nt on a bike. He shouldn't be overtaking on that side, ever.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

The following users thanked this post: ktmrules

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 10:22:17 am »

you make a good point, I have seen it too often too. for little reason, and clear entitlement. I once saw a toffie smash this little car with a little lady driving it just because she was a little too far left. super aggressive rider, needs a lekker klap.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 10:22:47 am »

The motorcyclist is riding in the traffic at the pleasure of other motorists when lane splitting so behaving like a chop just isn't on. I ride every day and am always thankful when I have a near miss. For the most part the car drivers just don't see bikes. Ride defensively and certainly not in either of the suicide lanes as that is a sure way to an early demise. Breaking mirrors is just a "petulant frenzy" as Frank Zappa said once.

Offline eberhard

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 10:25:58 am »
I condemn the actions of that biker. He is the type that I often read about in posts on social platforms where motorists complain about hooligan bikers. Gives us other riders a bad name. Poor trucker.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 10:28:46 am »
This is not a fellow adv biker, its a cnut, big difference.

fixed
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Spectaitor

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 10:30:50 am »
Pretty sure everyone knows about the moronic youth burning down universities and schools while striking.

Breaking mirrors seems to be a similar thing to me then. Just inciting anger in the offending drivers eyes AND any other cager that sees you break mirrors.

Gives motorcyclists a bad name regardless and you garner the same respect as the protesting youth of today from me. Don't shit where you eat sort of thing, it'll come back to bite you one day. You lose your life opposed to a cager losing a mirror - seems a poor trade to me. You have a hooter for a reason, use it like everyone else with a problem on the road and accept that is all you can do.
So much to do, so little time. Better get going then!

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 10:47:17 am »
Old school bikers brought up in the old school club scene did not & do not behave like this.

My personal opinion is that these days these chaps are not bikers at all, just asshats who've swapped luxury german sedans for luxury german motorcycles
taking their sense of entitlement from 4 wheels to 2 .

sad..

"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

The following users thanked this post: ktmmer, RobC

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 11:25:54 am »
watch the first 30 sec. then watch from 2 min in.

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

The following users thanked this post: Gwilliams