Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike License on a scooter.  (Read 360 times)

Offline blockheadxl650v

Bike License on a scooter.
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:37 am »
Does anyone know if you can pass your bike licence on a scooter? My daughter's learners is ending in April and my question is if she does her license on a 150cc scooter will she be able to ride a bigger bike with gears at a later stage?

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
Re: Bike License on a scooter.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 11:53:34 am »
I'm talking under correction, but I think if she do her licence on a scooter she will only get a A1 licence or maybe a restriction on her licence (like a car where you get restricted to automatic only if you do your test in a automatic car).

Part of the motorbike test is to shift to 2nd gear and maintain a certain speed.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 12:02:53 pm »
I'm talking under correction, but I think if she do her licence on a scooter she will only get a A1 licence or maybe a restriction on her licence (like a car where you get restricted to automatic only if you do your test in a automatic car).

Part of the motorbike test is to shift to 2nd gear and maintain a certain speed.

In order to get a "full bike license" = be able to ride any bike without sidecar, she would need to do the test on a manual bike 250cc or bigger.  If she does it on an automatic scooter, she would only get a license for riding automatic scooters.  When doing it on a bike less than 250cc, she would be restricted to bikes less than 250cc.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

The following users thanked this post: blockheadxl650v

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:11:25 pm »
It gets recorded on her license (auto or manual)

Go to Billy de Beer and let her get her license through him.
He handles the booking at the testing station and you use his bikes (TW200 mostly - you also go for the test on the same bike that you practice on)

If Billie is happy to send you on your test you will pass.

A bit of effort/money now, but then she is set with a bike license for life

Edit:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/bikersafeacademy/about/?ref=page_internal

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:16:15 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: RobC, blockheadxl650v

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 12:12:11 pm »

In order to get a "full bike license" = be able to ride any bike without sidecar, she would need to do the test on a manual bike 250cc or bigger.  If she does it on an automatic scooter, she would only get a license for riding automatic scooters.  When doing it on a bike less than 250cc, she would be restricted to bikes less than 250cc.

The cut-off is 125 nowadays

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 02:28:30 pm »

Thanks for all the info. I am a bit confused. I she does it on a 150cc manual bike will she get a full bike license or must it be over 250Cc ?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 02:35:56 pm »

Thanks for all the info. I am a bit confused. I she does it on a 150cc manual bike will she get a full bike license or must it be over 250Cc ?
Only need to be over 125
But it needs to be a manual

(And of course she needs to be over 18)

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 06:29:46 pm »
Thanks. We qualify for the over 18 bit. So need to get a 150 manual big boy or something.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:30:03 pm »
I would check out Billy de Beer as well

Offline Grumpleton

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 08:28:58 am »
Has to be bigger than 125 cc and must have a Manuel gear box, best is she go for a few  lessons with a driving/riding school and then use their bike for the test,
Bikes :  KTM 1190 Adventure R ,  KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.