Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Which tracking device?  (Read 329 times)

Online threeper

Which tracking device?
« on: February 23, 2020, 11:08:34 pm »
Any suggestions which company to use?

Offline Eendstop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Too many fools around
Re: Which tracking device?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:58:03 am »
Unless your insurance insists, forget it and save the money. Crooks disable them and they are vastly inaccurate in my experience. A live demonstration to me showed the vehicle on a different road and 100km from where it actually was. Of what use is such system?
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline GravelFox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 06:34:48 am »
I have a Beamie. Went for the cheapest as I agree with Eendstop. Just put it in as to keep insurance happy. Bought a new vehicle about two weeks ago and luckily got away without having to put one in. Remember that it is also your responsibility to test the device regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GravelFox
ex, MT50, XT250, XT550, KLR600, Africa Twin, XRE500, GS1200, DRZ400, CRF250L,
Now: XTZ660, 1200 GSA LC

Offline McKracken

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 06:32:07 am »
With the spate of bike thefts and the fact that my bike is my only transport, I put in my own tracker.
I don't recall what the unit cost, but it's far less than a set of crash bars and the subscription to the server is also not much- as a family we have 6 vehicles on the server for less than R700/year
The unit is  a "we track light" and I've hidden it in a way that's hard to find. It's got an onboard battery, so disconnecting the battery won't disable it immediately.
I monitor my bike from the app or the website. It will buy you a bigger window to try get your bike back, but realistically that's all.
When I'm in a questionable area, I set a 200m geofence that notifies me and my dad if the bike leaves it.
There are also vibration alerts and other warnings that can be set, but I haven't tested those yet.
For the cost of the whole setup it's good piece of mind per Rand

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

Offline tgg

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:16:58 pm »
i sell and install itrace, works on cell phone and pc, tracks all your rides from stop to start, unit cost, R1800 plus installation, first years subs included, thereater about R1000 p y, has geofencing and lost of other stuff, your can actually buy the unit and install your self.
I  have done many installations and no issues.
Check their demo on website. It is not a tracking company like the big corps and gives great service, device has battery in with 8 hours after being disconnected and shows the route taken till then.

or you can buy your own on banggood, put in sim card and set up, i tested one and it works, if you want it i can donate it, it was just for testing

The following users thanked this post: threeper