Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kazungula Bridge  (Read 753 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Kazungula Bridge
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 03:05:04 am »
I crossed over with that ferry in 2010 when Mrs Zog and I did a trip with my old Landy.

We visited Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, back into Botswana. Mrs Zog returned to SA with the Landy from Bots and I went straight back to work in Zambia...

It was a trip of a lifetime  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 12:59:49 pm »
I would have added my own photo of this ferry crossing in 1979 except that we never did.  The ferry was out of action, supposedly because the Rhodesians had bombed it and had threatened to do it again if it was put back into service.  We ended up putting our bikes on the train in Livingstone and picked them up in Francistown 2 weeks later.

You answered the question I was about to ask. I think it was the SAS guys that mined the thing in an attempt to disrupt the commercial supply line between Zambia and Bots. I read about it in their book recently.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 04:36:21 pm »
An updated picture of the bridge.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 08:34:03 pm »
If I'm not mistaken I think a mate of mine did the geotechnical drilling for the bridge. :thumleft:

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 07:42:41 am »
In 1993 we were just to late to cross with the ferry from Zambia to Botswana. Being poor students, we just pitched our tents next to the border post and waited till the next morning.
As much as the alure of using a ferry to cross a massive river is there, as much the joy of not having to fight with hundreds of trucks for a place on the ferry is also there.

The bridge crossing the Zambesi at Tete in Mozambique was same thing. Especially when they repaired/rebuilt be bridge in late 2000's. The queues got long very quickly
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 05:31:57 pm »
Waiting for the trucks to come off the ferry was always a time consuming event. Here the truck on the ferry was pulled off the ferry with another truck that was waiting to get onto the ferry. I sat and smoked and watch this. It was battling heavily. Its power could not overcome the dip in which the horse was which it was pulling. Spinning tyres and the usual. Then the rope broke. Next they got a separate horse to pull. Same problem. Could not get it out of the dip. Then the rope broke again. I kept smoking. I figured out this is going to take a while, so I took initiative. I switched the bike on and drove onto the ferry on the shoulder between the truck and the side of the ferry. It looks wider from this angle, but when perpendicular to it, there was just enough space - bike was packed. Panniers, etc.

That was a very scary moment for me. One mistake and I was either under the wheels of the truck, or in the Zambezi.  It went well. I parked the bike and returned to enjoy another smoke. In the meantime someone had figured out to fetch diesel. They came there with three or four coke bottles with diesel and poured it into the tank of the stuck truck. The driver got in, switched on and drove off. Then suddenly everybody swamped onto the ferry where I was already comfortably and securely parked.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 02:05:49 pm »
I enjoyed the Left Hand Drive sticker:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:06:45 pm by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 02:24:17 pm »
I crossed over with that ferry in 2010 when Mrs Zog and I did a trip with my old Landy.

We visited Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, back into Botswana. Mrs Zog returned to SA with the Landy from Bots and I went straight back to work in Zambia...

No wonder you are good with your hands and a bit of Spanner throwing, you had a Landy.  :peepwall:
Somebody said to me at the weekend, they have been off work with Covid so long, they're getting a Scouse accent.....

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 01:06:46 am »

No wonder you are good with your hands and a bit of Spanner throwing, you had a Landy.  :peepwall:

That is so true Welsh  :deal:  :thumleft:  :imaposer:

During that trip I drowned my alternator in a particularly deep and muddy water crossing. The bearings in the alternator gave up and we were stranded!

So I took off the alternator and drove back from the Barotse flood plain into the nearest village where we at least had cellphone comms. I scouted around and managed to find two bearings at a "spares shop" in the village. The next morning early I installed the bearings and we headed back out onto the Barotse, where we did a total of another 56 water crossings, then drove all the way back down through Namibia and into Botswana. The alternator wasn't enjoying the crappy Chinese bearings though, so finally I was able to get a new alternator in Potgietersrust on the way back to Pretoria...

Stuff like that turned the trip into an adventure  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.