Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Davidson  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: Harley Davidson
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 06:33:59 pm »
I took the Street-Rod for a spin over December - bikes extremely cheap but I must say I really enjoyed it.

The only Harley's that I like are the ones classified as baby Harleys or girly-Harleys, the 883 and the 750 Street Rod.

Im completely the opposite. If I'm buying a Harley it's gotta be the full size, Dyna or Softail.  Sporties and that 750 street thing do absolutely nothing for me.

I guess the reason why I like the smaller Harley's are that they are the closest to an everyday bike.

They can still go around a corner.

Sunday a guy on a big Harley came past while I was walking next to the road - man that thing scraped pegs and he was not even leaning it over all that much.

If it is compromised just for the looks of it then no thanks - not interested.

One of the guys I ride with chucks a Dyna (with ape hangers) around like a supermoto, it's insane. 

Granted I'm not the fastes rider, nor do I have the biggest balls, but I can barely keep up with him in the twisties in Sabie, sometimes I have to admit defeat and just let him go before I run out of talent.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 08:46:42 pm »
Thnks all, I was mostly wondering about the girley aspect. I'll check out the scoot first
Thanks  :thumleft:

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
    • Harleyparts Online
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 08:59:16 pm »
As usual, check out Gumtree for comparable year model bikes.

As far as I can tell, R40K is not a bad price but the mileage is quite high - Sportsters don't clock up a lot of km generally.
It's the chaps on the big touring models that really rack up the miles.

Also do a Google search to see if the 2007 had any known issues.

Enjoy !
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991
http://www.harleyparts.online

The following users thanked this post: Knucklhead

Offline Offshore

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 09:00:36 pm »
Thnks all, I was mostly wondering about the girley aspect. I'll check out the scoot first
Thanks  :thumleft:
The only Girly aspect of HD's is that you have more pulling Power with Wimmen than on any other Bike.
HD'S are obviously underrated on this Forum but with Like minded Buddies on Harleys riding in small Crowd, on a Mission, is an Experience you will always want to repeat.
The End

Offline Guido

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 03:21:05 am »
Having owned 5 Harley’s...currently own two, I can tell you now, for a person with motorcycle experience, the sportster will get boring very quickly. It is Harley’s entry level series, and designed as exactly that.  I don’t know what your motorcycle  experience is, but anyone coming from a modern dual sport/ road bike back ground would be better off looking for a dyna or later model softail, early softail’ were terrible rides. I have owned a 2010 dyna since almost new, it was my first Harley, coming from ktm 990 and later bmw GS, can honestly say it will never be sold, fantastic bike to ride. If you are set on the sporty, R 40 k for that bike is reasonable.

Offline lukestrugnell

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 07:34:12 am »
What do you guys think of the Vrod? Test drove one the other day and liked it. And yes I know its liquid cooled and as such not a "real" HD ;)

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline Knucklhead

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 09:55:21 am »
thanks for all the replies....from checking at all of the PM's i received expressing interest in this scoot, id say many of you ouens are all Harley lovers and don't want to admit it publicly  :lol8:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 09:59:38 am »
Having owned 5 Harley’s...currently own two, I can tell you now, for a person with motorcycle experience, the sportster will get boring very quickly. It is Harley’s entry level series, and designed as exactly that.  I don’t know what your motorcycle  experience is, but anyone coming from a modern dual sport/ road bike back ground would be better off looking for a dyna or later model softail, early softail’ were terrible rides. I have owned a 2010 dyna since almost new, it was my first Harley, coming from ktm 990 and later bmw GS, can honestly say it will never be sold, fantastic bike to ride. If you are set on the sporty, R 40 k for that bike is reasonable.

Tell me about a 2005 Night Train?   There's one for sale and god it's a good looking bike.   I've heard the Softails dont handle as well as the Dynas though?

Offline Herkules

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 10:31:36 am »
 :sip: In my opinion they are dangerous bikes, looks like the brakes can't stop the weight of the ship. of the last three accidents I know of involving these bikes, I am convinced a duely or superbike would have survived. That means brakes and maneuverability are not good at all.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 10:42:05 am »
I am an out of the closet Harley/Indian fan and always make a point of riding them whenever I get a chance.... WHOLE OTHER WORLD of riding compared to my regular 990 steed... some in a good way, others not so much! Go ride a few and see which one talks to you... I rode a lot of HD around Kyalami, hated most due to lethargic handling and rubbish brakes but then again you have to remember these are cruisers and not intended for the enthusiastic rider... ;) I could however easily see myself on a VRod/Breakout any time of the day... :lol8:

The one bike that stood OUT for me on Kyalami was the Indian Scout.... gem of an engine that pulls like a steam train (sees 180kmh easily) and has handling to boot with decent brakes.... if you can stretch your budget rather go for one of these, it makes HD look really silly with their comparable offering imo... :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:44:11 am by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Herkules

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 11:00:08 am »
 :sip: I do like the looks of the Indian though, my Dad had one before I was born, in the 1940"s I think. I can remember him telling me that.

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 11:59:44 am »
If you are looking at the 88 cube motor in a big harley just be aware that they had an issue with the cam chain tensioners wearing out prematurely which could cause serious engine problems. From 07 onwards the design changed.

Offline heinzz

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 12:12:27 pm »

Will also never sell my Dyna. 2007 with 30.000km on the clock.

Offline Lem

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 12:18:30 pm »
Craig, if you are looking for something to leave at your holiday home & cruise around Jeffries for a beer, bread or milk then the Sportster is a good bike. Then again...a BWS100 scooter or a Vespa would have been even better.

Otherwise, they are very small to sit on, seriously hard on your back, but quite fun to ride. The 1200 is punchy out of the blocks. They need a bit more force to turn in to the right than the left because of the gearbox weight is all on one side.

If you really want to buy a Harley, go for something bigger that is more comfortable...like a Dyna Wide Glide/Streetbob/Fatbob or a Softail Fatboy or Road King. All three of these frame models are awesome!
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline BuRP

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:46 pm »
from checking at all of the PM's i received expressing interest in this scoot, id say many of you ouens are all Harley lovers and don't want to admit it publicly

Oh is it eh?
Geez, lotsa closet faggots here then who will publicly laugh at tassles but secretly think they're manly!

Mind, that leaves you.... got tassles on your dirt/enduro bike?
Don't answer "Not yet" here bru...  :lol8:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Guido

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 01:26:37 pm »

Tell me about a 2005 Night Train?   There's one for sale and god it's a good looking bike.   I've heard the Softails dont handle as well as the Dynas though?

Night train is a great looking bike. Handling wise, I don’t like any softail pre 2013. The handling will not be great, but that of course is personal opinion although quit well known. There are guys that ride way older softail, that rave about them. The whole ‘braking’ argument is a load of rubbish, you have to compare apples with apples, you cannot compare a dual sport/ super bike braking characteristics to a Harley, so I’m not going to comment on that. My dyna is a great bike to ride, braking needs to be planned, but if need be and you have the  know how, can be stopped ASAP. My roadglides  braking is better than my ktm990’s, with a pillion and 35kgs of luggage, bearing in mind it almost weighs double. At the end of the day, the argument of Harley’s being bad rides is antiquated, take some of the new 2019/2020 bikes for a spin, and your eyes will be opened, just give them a chance, they are completely different to any dual sport bike.
If you are interested in buying a Harley, I suggest you pick the model you looking at, and watch ‘Matt laidlaws’ review on the model on YouTube, he gives a very accurate view of the entire bike, from aesthetics to handling, and he has huge experience with the brand.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:39:52 pm by Guido »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 02:10:33 pm »
basically the same sportster that I have. I actually just said no to R40k for it, wanting R45k.
But this is not me complaining that I will still have it.

Mine has a new engine, previous one changed at 80k km. Some oil starvation issue. I would rate it pretty solid wrt reliability
They are also some of the first ones with rubber engine mountings, so infamous vibrations addressed.
Mine has a proper setup carb, starts first time even if it was sitting for a month. Gets 22kmpl at 140kmph, better than any big adventure bike.

And no one will believe you that you paid only R40k for it.

But yes, breaks and suspension is shit. I guess everything is relative though. I see it as an old muscle car, they are average fast, crap handling and braking, but great raw fun. Same with this bike. Every ride is an event.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 02:17:19 pm »
Every ride is an event.

Exactly!

My brother has a Iron 883 and just going round the block feels like an event.

On the KTM you have to go out and wheelie, and jump over shit and slide it to have fun...."just riding" is boring haha

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 02:33:53 pm »
Every ride is an event.

Exactly!

My brother has a Iron 883 and just going round the block feels like an event.

On the KTM you have to go out and wheelie, and jump over shit and slide it to have fun...."just riding" is boring haha

well, owning a KTM as well, bad habits are there and its a good thing the Harley just gathers dust.
I am not the best of riders, but make up in windgatheid. Every ride with the Harley will also have me try at least once to slide it on loose gravel in the road. Its only a matter of time till I get it wrong....
I am also well aware of where exactly the bumpstops sit and what y back can take (when I am calm, rest of the time I lift my butt over the speedbumps)
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Knucklhead

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 03:48:32 pm »
basically the same sportster that I have. I actually just said no to R40k for it, wanting R45k.
But this is not me complaining that I will still have it.

Mine has a new engine, previous one changed at 80k km. Some oil starvation issue. I would rate it pretty solid wrt reliability
They are also some of the first ones with rubber engine mountings, so infamous vibrations addressed.
Mine has a proper setup carb, starts first time even if it was sitting for a month. Gets 22kmpl at 140kmph, better than any big adventure bike.

And no one will believe you that you paid only R40k for it.

But yes, breaks and suspension is shit. I guess everything is relative though. I see it as an old muscle car, they are average fast, crap handling and braking, but great raw fun. Same with this bike. Every ride is an event.

apparently this one is fuel injected..what model is yours ?