Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Davidson  (Read 6246 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: Harley Davidson
« Reply #260 on: May 22, 2020, 01:53:57 pm »
While we have the attention os some real and geniune Harley guys on here, can I ask you a question?

How do you guys rate the Japanese cruisers, etc, models that are built to compete directly in Harley's market, with HD bikes?

Bikes like Yamaha's Bolt, V-Max and Royal stars?
honestly the jap stuff (called metric cruisers in yankland)  is probably way ahead of Harley in everything except brand  loyalty and mystique/allure
the older ones are not great looking etc ie look at yam xs 11 special just standard bike with handlebars n stepped saddle really .. marauder etc were putrid ..but then start with boulevards royal stars etc and really nice looking handling performing, great reliability but not a Harley . the one i jerk off over (figuratively) is the honda rune no i lie although rune really nice ..there was a real custom honda hmm maybe fury but name don't sound right...sex on wheels machine but again just not hd or sns motor

I struggle to see what is a HD and what is not a lot of the times. But the bikes in these photos looks cheap, like they should have a big boy sign.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline unishaun

« Reply #261 on: May 22, 2020, 02:11:37 pm »
My Dad recently got this road king custom, the 88" with 5 speed box (2005 I think)

I must say, what a hoot to ride. Granted it is very different from my Tiger, but I did not expect it to be a nice to ride as it was on the the road. I do also love the look of their biker cruisers.

Sent from my A8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:12:34 pm by unishaun »

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2020, 02:32:11 pm »
My Dad recently got this road king custom, the 88" with 5 speed box (2005 I think)

I must say, what a hoot to ride. Granted it is very different from my Tiger, but I did not expect it to be a nice to ride as it was on the the road. I do also love the look of their biker cruisers.

Dats purrrty  :drif:  I've always liked that 5 lamp setup (headlamp with 4 auxiliary lamps).

Offline JFE

« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2020, 06:38:35 pm »
Honestly the 88 5 speed is anything as smooth as the my 103 with 1st stage conversion (basically air intake, management system and pipes) those motors are great units. However I often did wish for a 6th gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2020, 09:15:43 am »
I would not mind owning a Harley.

Love the old school look of the Crossbones and have always been a FatBoy fan

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2020, 09:42:54 am »
 :drif: :drif: love dat saddle

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2020, 10:04:32 am »
Honestly the 88 5 speed is anything as smooth as the my 103 with 1st stage conversion (basically air intake, management system and pipes) those motors are great units. However I often did wish for a 6th gear.

newer ones all have 6 speed boxes .. but aftermarket 6 speed available for older models as well ..have to add laways wanted 6 speed on my softail as well for long roads
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:05:34 am by madmax »
fornicate the proletariat

Online bud500

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2020, 10:05:29 am »

Those look awesome.
But they leave no room to move, so you get saddle sore very quickly, as you are forced to sit in the exact same position.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline madmax

« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2020, 10:06:43 am »

Those look awesome.
But they leave no room to move, so you get saddle sore very quickly, as you are forced to sit in the exact same position.
i have always found due to seating position ..ie leg out ..it very difficult to shift apart from legs to hway pegs etc

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2020, 10:13:49 am »

i like the road king its versatile and not so bulky

get a lot of compliments for mine .....it is a bit different from normal road kings in that it has a unique paint set.........theses bikes normally come with leather saddle bags

mine has hard bags and on top of it they are stretch bags.......most hard bags go down to top of the pipes .......the stretch bags go past and i love this look ........its all just a question of budget

my road king is a standard 2012 roadking classic.....which they replaced with this limited edition paint set theme only available in 2012 it is number 48 of 200 that exist only....its called Mahem

i was shopping around for my 50th and saw this in Harley Sandton

this bike is very photogenic .........

ridden it around the country .....but mostly its used around town or for short trips

mother ....only half a word ;-)

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2020, 10:18:09 am »

Those look awesome.

I agree, da saddle doesn't look comfy but it sure is purrty on dat gloss black cross bone

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2020, 10:20:36 am »
@Mother dat is by far one of the most brilliant eye catching paint jobs I've ever seen. Man dat thing jumps in da sunlight.  WOW   :drif: :drif:

I don't know about there, but here, dat bike would draw a crowd wherever it stopped.

The following users thanked this post: Mother

Online Offshore

« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2020, 10:25:28 am »
That is indeed one incredible beauty right there :thumleft:

Offline JFE

« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2020, 11:16:41 am »
@Mother I agree that is one pretty looking bike, but there is a reason I had my FB all blacked out. Between bit lazy and not wanting to spend hours polishing and wiping chrome clean I personally do not want that amount of chrome on my bike, and Im a fan of the matt / dull effects on the HDs

Offline Mother

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2020, 12:33:43 pm »
@Mother I agree that is one pretty looking bike, but there is a reason I had my FB all blacked out. Between bit lazy and not wanting to spend hours polishing and wiping chrome clean I personally do not want that amount of chrome on my bike, and Im a fan of the matt / dull effects on the HDs

:thumleft:

the new look at harley nowadays is black chrome.......there is a lot of black on the new bikes

im also not a chrome polish guy but discovered these products .......

if i need to dry wash i use the FW1 spray wax and clean product

for a full wash i use Meguiars wash and wax and only a chamois

relate to the lazy so polishing is not my thing.........these two products are winners for anyone with a bling harley to achieve max shine with min effort......just saying
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2020, 09:15:53 pm »
I went to collect a Harley today on behalf of a friend. He hasn't been on a bike in a lot of years. I rode the 120km back to his house. Although I ride often, I haven't been on a Harley in a few years and I was pleasantly surprised. The bike in mention is a 103 cubic inch 2011 model in great condition. The bike is really slow, but so super soft and very smooth at highway speeds. I really enjoyed the trip.

Harley guys, what is the difference between the electra glide, road glide and ultra glide?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:41:37 pm by RedWolf »
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline Mapog

« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2020, 11:28:38 pm »
I used to LOVE HDs. Owned a Springer classic(Still the best looking Harley) and a Dyna wide glide. Also used to like American pickup trucks...
But as much as I used to, I couldnt care less for them nowadays.

Maybe I got to appreciate the effectiveness of the Japanese bikes and bakkies?

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #277 on: Yesterday at 07:52:26 am »

Harley guys, what is the difference between the electra glide, road glide and ultra glide?

The frames are the same.
The Roadglide is the dual headlight one with a frame mounted faring.

There is no such thing as an Ultra Glide.

The road king has a normal clear clip off windshield with instruments on the tank  usually but not always with leather bags.

Then we have the models with the batwing fairings

Firstly, the Street Glide.
This has no top box ( what we call a Tour pak). It has lowered rear suspension, bigger wheels & rear pillion pegs, not boards . This one has fairing mounted mirrors.
This is Harley's big seller in the U.S.

Then you get the Electra Glide standard which was rereleased in 2019 after being gone for a few years.
Also no top box, single seat, no radio. Regulation height rear shocks, handlebar mounted fairing & mirrors

Then there's the Electra Glide Ultra Limited, which is what you are on in your picture.
Top box with speakers, radio , CD, intercom, cruise control , handle bar mounted fairing &  mirrors. Pillion floorboards. Fairing lowers, Top of the line with all bells & whistles

There used to be , now discontinued, a Electra Glide Ultra Classic.
This is what I have. It has rails around the Saddlebags doesn't have chrome wheels & does not have heated grips.

There are also the Lo models with reduced seat height and also the CVO models, which you can think of as AMG versions lots of extra goodies.

@Mother , feel free to add/ edit...

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:01:17 am by Wild Hearted Son »
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #278 on: Yesterday at 09:20:24 am »
Thanks

And a Dyna?
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline madmax

« Reply #279 on: Yesterday at 10:26:07 am »
I would not mind owning a Harley.

Love the old school look of the Crossbones and have always been a FatBoy fan

love the xbone i think bit collector thing now in hd community