Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Davidson  (Read 22176 times)

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
Re: Harley Davidson
« Reply #480 on: July 16, 2021, 11:35:18 am »
I agree, I'm looking for a cheapy Sportster too.

And they are a bit like a 1400 bakkie, if you buy at R50k plus or minus you should get most of your money back when you do decide to sell.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline RoddieJ

« Reply #481 on: July 16, 2021, 11:52:21 am »
My Harley (Dyna Super Glide) will be 20years old in November. I have had it since new. Why I bought it at the time can only ben described as an itch that needed some attention. I was only 30years old at the time and although I have been riding off road bike my whole life, this was my first and only street only bike I had. I have bought all the accessories to transform it into a touring bike for travels at the time. Plug and Play even got a comfy seat for touring, but mostly ride it without the screen and all the other unnecessary stuff.  The frontend of the Dynas at the time is pretty much the same as that of a Sportster but with a longer wheelbase. I am starting and riding it most weekends nowadays even if it is just going around the estate on a Sunday.  Has got 32,000km on the clock. Will I sell it?? Highly unlikely.
Do I like it? Maybe, but I do love it even if it is just looking at it.

PS, I am a motorcycle owner not really a biker....
This ^^^ = Lots to like!

Reminds me of why I chose my HD Street Glide, when I had a perfectly good deal lined up on a 650GS!! I sometimes still get upset at having made the choice, but I console myself that I will still get a 650GS or 800GS...

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #482 on: July 16, 2021, 02:42:40 pm »
My Harley (Dyna Super Glide) will be 20years old in November. I have had it since new. Why I bought it at the time can only ben described as an itch that needed some attention. I was only 30years old at the time and although I have been riding off road bike my whole life, this was my first and only street only bike I had. I have bought all the accessories to transform it into a touring bike for travels at the time. Plug and Play even got a comfy seat for touring, but mostly ride it without the screen and all the other unnecessary stuff.  The frontend of the Dynas at the time is pretty much the same as that of a Sportster but with a longer wheelbase. I am starting and riding it most weekends nowadays even if it is just going around the estate on a Sunday.  Has got 32,000km on the clock. Will I sell it?? Highly unlikely.
Do I like it? Maybe, but I do love it even if it is just looking at it.

PS, I am a motorcycle owner not really a biker....
This ^^^ = Lots to like!

Reminds me of why I chose my HD Street Glide, when I had a perfectly good deal lined up on a 650GS!! I sometimes still get upset at having made the choice, but I console myself that I will still get a 650GS or 800GS...

HD's slogan, "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand" really holds true.  From the styling to the way their engines talk to your heart, I'm a fan.  I loved my 16' Street Glide Special, I didn't keep it long because I didn't fit the bike well and suspension travel because of the slammed rear end wasn't the best.  It was a pair of Ohlins rear shocks away from being a wonderful bike.  I couldn't believe how smooth the engines run once moving and fuel injection calibration was buttery smooth.  I still miss the feeling I got of starting the bike and feeling the rumble and vibration from my fingertips to my toes, the bike had a mystique about it.

@Vintage_Mania that's a lot of bike for the money.  The Ultra Classics have much better shocks and ride much better than the Street Glide.  I don't know your height, but if I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the Road Glide Special instead of the Street Glide Special.  If you can find a lower mileage 103 cu in engine, those are great engines that last and last and last.  If you're looking for a pre-owned HD, keep in mind that the stock engine will always be the most reliable.  The more power and owner adds with the power up kits, the more long term reliability is reduced.  Their were some teething issues when the new Milwaukee 8 engine was released in 2017.  Other than that, my knowledge of HD is limited. 
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it.  The felon does not fear the police, judge, nor jury.  The felon must be taught to fear his victim.

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #483 on: July 20, 2021, 04:17:57 pm »
@big oil

Throw in some Yankness around the Street Rod and Sportster. Say 4 or 5 year old models. I'm looking for a runabout thar needs little maintenance and are reliable. Would cut off all the non essentials and make it a minimalistic street bike for pub runs. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

the street rod is kinda not really seen as an hd perse ..was made in err india or china ... even here they cant give em away
fornicate the proletariat

Offline lukestrugnell

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • Ecological Logistics
« Reply #484 on: July 20, 2021, 09:57:17 pm »
Anyone want to make me an offer on my 2009 custom 1200?

5 000km on clock

Pm me.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

www.ecologicallogistics.co.za
Facebook: @EcologicalLogistics

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #485 on: July 21, 2021, 05:41:01 am »
@big oil

Throw in some Yankness around the Street Rod and Sportster. Say 4 or 5 year old models. I'm looking for a runabout thar needs little maintenance and are reliable. Would cut off all the non essentials and make it a minimalistic street bike for pub runs. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

the street rod is kinda not really seen as an hd perse ..was made in err india or china ... even here they cant give em away

That's how I have it. But they are available for very good prices and a bit if spanner swinging and it should last?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline RoddieJ

« Reply #486 on: July 21, 2021, 08:56:16 am »
I think the 750 Street Rod could make a very decent runabout. Also, thereís a difference between the 750 Street and the 750 Street Rod, in terms of performance and a few bits and bobs...
Forget that itís made in India, itís still a licensed Harley Davidson factory, same as buying from a Harley Davidson store in SA...

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #487 on: July 21, 2021, 08:59:36 am »
I think the 750 Street Rod could make a very decent runabout. Also, thereís a difference between the 750 Street and the 750 Street Rod, in terms of performance and a few bits and bobs...
Forget that itís made in India, itís still a licensed Harley Davidson factory, same as buying from a Harley Davidson store in SA...

Please tell me more

Offline RoddieJ

« Reply #488 on: July 21, 2021, 09:08:55 am »

Please tell me more
I donít know how to share the Maxabout News Review link, so I took these screenshots...

Offline RoddieJ

« Reply #489 on: July 21, 2021, 09:09:33 am »

Offline RoddieJ

« Reply #490 on: July 21, 2021, 09:09:53 am »

Offline RoddieJ

« Reply #491 on: July 21, 2021, 09:10:18 am »

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #492 on: July 21, 2021, 11:38:30 am »
A number of differences there, thanks for that  :thumleft:

Offline stcomza

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CTX200
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #493 on: July 21, 2021, 02:44:17 pm »
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound

The following users thanked this post: Vintage_Mania

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #494 on: July 21, 2021, 02:48:49 pm »
Too bad we didn't get the 500 here, there is basically nothing in our market that could have competed if the price was right.